Change the "V" device

Started by OldSalt, April 30, 2010, 10:19:46 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:47:45 PM
First, you would only need to buy the other device, not the ribbon as well. Second, the obvious benefit is two fold. First, you won't be having to "educate" others that "V" doesn't mean Valor - it means Vigilance. Secondly, you would sleep easy at night knowing that some veteran out there won't confuse your honorable service for combat valor.

Apparently you have never seen what a ribbon looks like when you remove a device and try and replace it with another one that has different prongs.

No one but you is losing sleep over this.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldSalt

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2010, 07:47:00 PM
Ignore.

Continue the attack of windmills...
I liked your original response. Vanguard doesn't sell bronze "V" devices? Thanks for seeing the light on that one before embarrasing yourself. :-X

OldSalt

Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2010, 07:49:55 PM
First, you would only need to buy the other device, not the ribbon as well. Second, the obvious benefit is two fold. First, you won't be having to "educate" others that "V" doesn't mean Valor - it means Vigilance. Secondly, you would sleep easy at night knowing that some veteran out there won't confuse your honorable service for combat valor.

Apparently you have never seen what a ribbon looks like when you remove a device and try and replace it with another one that has different prongs.

AAA still firing, but I'm still flying. Show me some facts, not opinions or hearesay. 8)

Eclipse

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:51:20 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2010, 07:47:00 PM
Ignore.

Continue the attack of windmills...
I liked your original response. Vanguard doesn't sell bronze "V" devices? Thanks for seeing the light on that one before embarrasing yourself. :-X

Nice try - up until very recently they did not sell a bronze V, and this was a topic of conversation on this board, you'd know that if you weren't a NEWBONTHELOOSE.

Just let it go.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:54:47 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 04, 2010, 07:49:55 PM

AAA still firing, but I'm still flying. Show me some facts, not opinions or hearesay.

OK, seriously?  You're just making this up out of whole cloth and we're supposed to show you "facts"?

Cite a single personal experience, encounter, or any situation where anyone in another service cared for a second about our decorations, or specifically the "V".

Your ill-informed mailman doesn't count.  There are people all over the place who don't even know what CAP is or what we do, and get their shorts bunched the minute they think civilians are playing in their sandbox.  That doesn't mean we change because they are ill-informed, it means we inform them and move on, regardless of their personal opinion.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:35:07 PMHow about, "V" for "Valor" like it was orginally designed to mean?

Designed by who?

QuoteCome on, you can't seriously be arguing that using the "V" device on the SMV is less appropriate than using it on the DRR? At least give me that much. ;)

Not talking about the SMV at all.  We are only talking about the DRR....stay on target.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

vento

I think the whole this is really moot. Last time I checked we all voluntarily joined the organization for what the organization do for the community, I know I did. I didn't join to wear the uniforms. However, when required I wear the uniforms in accordance with the current regulations that I voluntarily subscribed to.

IMHO, CapTalk is a great resource to ask for clarifications and gain knowledge thru the experience of other members. If a member dislike or has a problem for a regulation that he or she voluntarily abided to earlier, then he or she should really take it to the attention of whomever can help the issue thru proper channels. I am afraid CapTalk is not such channel. Why burn calories and kill brain cells here while he or she can't accomplish anything?

My two cents...

OATH OF MEMBERSHIP
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that:
I understand membership in the Civil Air Patrol is a privilege, not a right, and that membership is on a year-to-year basis
subject to recurring renewal by CAP. I further understand failure to meet membership eligibility criteria will result in
automatic termination at any time.
I voluntarily subscribe to the objectives and purposes of the Civil Air Patrol and agree to be guided by CAP Core Values,
Ethics Policies, Constitution & Bylaws, Regulations and all applicable Federal, State, and Local Laws.

I understand only the Civil Air Patrol corporate officers are authorized to obligate funds, equipment, or services.
I understand the Civil Air Patrol is not liable for loss or damage to my personal property when operated for or by the Civil
Air Patrol. I further understand that safety is critical for the protection of all members and protection of CAP resources. I
will at all times follow safe practices and take an active role in safety for myself and others.
I agree to abide by the decisions of those in authority of the Civil Air Patrol.
I certify that all information on this application is presently correct and any false statement may be cause to deny
membership. I understand I am obligated to notify the Civil Air Patrol if there are any changes pertaining to the
information on the front of this form and further understand that failure to report such changes may be grounds for
membership termination.
I fully understand that this Oath of Membership is an integral part of this application for senior membership in the Civil Air
Patrol and that my signature on the form constitutes evidence of that understanding and agreement to comply with all
contents of this Oath of Membership.

lordmonar

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:47:45 PMFirst, you would only need to buy the other device, not the ribbon as well.
Nope.....leaves a nasty V shaped hole on my ribbon...(I use glue to attach my devices).

QuoteSecond, the obvious benefit is two fold. First, you won't be having to "educate" others that "V" doesn't mean Valor - it means Vigilance.
Not a problem...I like talking about my ribbons...and love the opportunity to educate anyone about CAP.

QuoteSecondly, you would sleep easy at night knowing that some veteran out there won't confuse your honorable service for combat valor.
I am a veteran and I have not problems with it....I know many, many veterans who know about the "V" and they don't have a probelm with it......and when it comes down to it....I don't really care what they think.

QuoteYou probably haven't heard any veterans complaining because when they see you wearing the "V" device in AF uniform they are assuming that you legitimately earned a medal for combat valor. The question you would probably get instead is nothing because out of respect, they wouldn't want to bother you for war stories or your combat experiences. They would just take it at face value. However, once they found out that your "V" device doesn't have anything to do with Valor or combat, they would not be happy they were intellectually duped, and would think less of your achievement the next time they saw it or anyone else in CAP uniform.

So you talk yourself into a circle.  Veterans assume it is for combat....and then they think that I (or CAP) duped them?  I can't worry about what some schmuck assumes with little or not information.

If we go by your logic we need to dump all of the military uniforms all together...because we don't want them to think we duped them into thinking we are "real" USAF officers either.

So.....zero benefit and the CAP member must bear the cost of the change over.

QuoteWhy not just have the ribbon convey what it is universally accepted to convey in the greater military community? Why the resistance to common sense here?

Because it already does.  The resistance is that you wish to force change where none is needed.

lordmonar

Quote from: NewbieOnTheLoose on May 04, 2010, 07:54:47 PMAAA still firing, but I'm still flying. Show me some facts, not opinions or hearesay. 8)

I would say the same to you.  So far this is all your opinion...that the Silver V is not appropriate for the DDR with V.  Where are your facts?

SarDragon

OK, time to do movie quotes.

This one's from Meatballs. C'mon you you know this one!

"It just doesn't matter!"

Everyone, say it along with me.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

"I can't get the shot, breaking left!"

OldSalt

Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2010, 08:22:39 PM
I would say the same to you.  So far this is all your opinion...that the Silver V is not appropriate for the DDR with V.  Where are your facts?
OK, you win. The upstart has sucessfully been beaten down again. I guess the only "opinion" that really matters is the person who makes the regs official.

It doesn't matter that we represent the U.S. Air Force (fine print - only when on an AFAM) and that it may offend some veterans to wear a "V" device that doesn't mean Valor. It doesn't matter that CAP can take proactive action if it chooses to, but chooses to perpetuate something that could be done better. I concede defeat.....this time!  :clap: