The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

RiverAux

Not sure I would say that having "USAF" on there is appropriate. 

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: addo1 on November 26, 2007, 03:11:46 AM
  Hey, I did not make it. 

Don't sweat it... CAP squadron emblems generally do not follow USAF heraldry rules, unless a wing or region policy letter dictates it. Units at squadron level or below sport their emblem on a disc; units at group level or higher use a shield. I wouldn't sweat it too much - even my own squadron's emblem doesn't meet current USAF heraldry standards.

While we are the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary when participating in AF-assigned missions, it's generally frowned upon to use the initials 'USAF' on a CAP squadron emblem, which would imply that it is a RealAirForce® squadron. Likewise, distinctive items on the USAF seal  (such as the wing and thunderbolt emblem) are a no-no. The new AF emblem also has strict usage guidelines; I remember when I submitted the design for the Group III emblem the group commander at the time had to get the OK from the commander of HQ CAP-USAF to use it.

I would strongly recommend removing the 'USAF' initials the next time a batch of patches are made.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Now, now Chuck, that would mean that you may want to take the USAF symbol you and Arthur put on this little patch...

It may be that permission was asked and received, however, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BigMojo

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2006, 02:52:50 PM
With regards to the design itself, Powerpoint is not a graphic design tool, Photoshop, the GIMP, or similiar are. 
More like Illustrator or FreeHand. Photoshop is a raster-image tool. Unit insignias should be executed in a scalable vector file.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2006, 02:52:50 PM
Another example are the various CAP unit insignias which feature fighter aircraft, weapons, cards, or whatever.  Why, because they LOOK COOL! Some are for units with an affliation to a fighter base or similiar, so you can see where it comes from, but these are not appropriate to our mission.
Any reference to games of chance, to specific types of aircraft or the re-use of another unit's insignia, or parts thereof, or that of a superior unit, are not allowed under Air Force guidelines.

That means all the units that use the triangle-and-propeller are in violation of the USAF standard, but it also nixes maps of geographic areas, flags or parts of flags....

You have to be a little ambiguous or "speak" metaphorically through a unit emblem.

EDIT: I like the Louisiana Wing headquarters squadron patch, but according to AF guidelines, it should be the wing shield with the HQ SQ designation in the scroll. Maybe if someone whips out the AFI, I'll be corrected, but I believe that's correct. Maybe it's a good time to change the wing emblem to match!

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

alamrcn

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 15, 2007, 05:17:05 AM
I like the Louisiana Wing headquarters squadron patch, but according to AF guidelines, it should be the wing shield with the HQ SQ designation in the scroll. Maybe if someone whips out the AFI, I'll be corrected, but I believe that's correct. Maybe it's a good time to change the wing emblem to match!

Here that is...

...and its history: http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/LA/la001.html

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jrsvf

Here are two patches that I designed.  One is for the squadron I command (GA808) and the other is for GA Wing Group IV. Let me know what you think

CadetProgramGuy

Can you provide the heritage of the patches please?

Major Carrales

This will be the new Corpus Christi Comp Patch for 2008.  It is based on out WWII Coastal Patrol Squadron moniker.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 26, 2007, 05:38:02 AM
This will be the new Corpus Christi Comp Patch for 2008.  It is based on out WWII Coastal Patrol Squadron moniker.

I love the throw-back design!

Any particular reason the rockers aren't cut out? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on December 26, 2007, 06:08:44 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 26, 2007, 05:38:02 AM

I love the throw-back design!

Any particular reason the rockers aren't cut out? 

The new design was based on a WWII Coastal Patrol design from these photos at the Library of Congress...

This way reduced the cost of the patch, plus, it would not render properly any smaller.   Its irregular shape precludes it from fitting properly in a Modern USAF Style patch.

It is "pure CAP," based on local history at the dawn of the organization. 

I expect them to be ready in two months.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 26, 2007, 06:25:51 AM
The new design was based on a WWII Coastal Patrol design from these photos at the Library of Congress...

Yep, I think the retro and historically-significant design is awesome!

This way reduced the cost of the patch

I've not yet met a vendor who indicated that irregular size would significantly drive up the cost.  Almost always, cost is a factor of thread/stitch count and the complexity of the design to be stitched.  Plus, there are dozens of companies out there who regularly make patches for military units - something they commonly do.

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 26, 2007, 06:25:51 AM, plus, it would not render properly any smaller.   Its irregular shape precludes it from fitting properly in a Modern USAF Style patch.

I don't quite get how cutting out the rockers would shrink the design any, or how your current design just precludes you from removing the as-is dead space there anyways?  I'm confused.  Take a look at the 10-second-redo I did in Photoshop attached.

I expect them to be ready in two months.

Great luck!  Our squadron hopes to have patches finalized and made by April.

Major Carrales

Uh...I will suggest the design, however, I cannot take one of the most significant "member driven" morale building activities of 2007 and seemingly  "impose my WILL as a unit commander to change it."  Sort of defeats the purpose.

I'll swap you out one if you want to.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 26, 2007, 06:45:59 AM
I'll swap you out one if you want to.

Cool!    I'll keep the board posted when I can finally share the design for ours.  :)

CadetProgramGuy

In teh design phase of your patches, is there somewhere on the 'net you can go to get templates of the patches?

jimmydeanno

^Go here.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/creation.html

about half-way down the page are "templates," you can click them and save them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 26, 2007, 12:58:38 PM
^Go here.

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/creation.html

about half-way down the page are "templates," you can click them and save them.
Exactly what I was looking for!!

Thanks!!  And they say CAPTalk doesn't do anything good..........

:)

Major Carrales

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 27, 2007, 04:48:55 AM

Thanks!!  And they say CAPTalk doesn't do anything good..........

:)

Who says this?

Commander
SWR-TX-454