Call sign changes

Started by arajca, March 10, 2005, 02:06:18 PM

Jerry

I agree that it is not really a good thing for CAP. And why change something that has worked well for eons? I think it would be a good thing that things that are associated with a Wing would be done away with for security reasons.  But  the "sore" point with *some* CAP members is very real and might result in the resignations and non-renewals of many members.  So much of the volunteer nature of CAP has been changed that, IMHO, it is a detriment :-\ .  Often it seems as tho the powers-that-be forget that we ARE volunteer and each person has a limit so to what he can, or WILL, do for CAP. That is also evident in the ES program where the requirements to remain ES-qualified  resulted in HUNDREDS of people dropping out of the ES mission; they simply cannot, or WILL not do all the things that are in the task book to remain current.  They have lives and families to deal with and CAP, to them, is an OPTION, not a necessity! :o  I've seen the lists of personnel who dropped their 101 quals, and read about ES managers wondering why. But THAT's another subject!

WRT the removal of the personal Wing/Unit/[personal callsigns, it  just wouldn't be a good thing. It would further re-define the volunteer nature of CAP and not in a good way. CAP should also be FUN and that FUN should be part of the "pay" for our CAP work! Take that away and ya got nuttin'! :o

We will just have to wait and see. Usually, things turn out to be not so bad as they first seem.  What I HOPE happens, they DO get rid of the current, silly callsigns like CAP-----such n such, and CAPKittyHawk--------, etc. I've alway hated those because they tend to trivialize the callsign structure before the public who have scanner and HF abilities. One problem I see is that, because, CAP IS volunteer you can't assign fluid, random callsigns to an event or just a unit.  CAP members are not "on duty" in the same sense as USAF personnel; they are at work, on errands, on vacation, and these people have to be mustered to duty.  Personally assigned callsigns quickly identify an individual without revealing to outsiders his identity. He also knows that "HE" is the one being called. He is the one that is needed.  It is the reason for the "ancient" personal call system  to start with! :o

So, perhaps, our callsigns will end up being BlueDog 97 or something like that! It'll probabaly work out all right and not be as bad as we speculate! ;)

Lt/Col Jerry Oxendine
CAP'in' since 1964

Buzz

Sounds like we are going to the standard military system.

Despite the whimpering and whining, we're better off for it, and in no time most folks will probably say that they wouldn't go back.

The most likely implementation will be something like:

Hawaii = Pineapple
Squadron at Laie = Seaside
Haole, Hapa, 2LT = 13

Thus, Hapa Haole's identifier is "Pineapple Seaside One Three."

If the squadron at Waimea is Slam, then the call signs will be "Pineapple Slam" with whatever number.

See how it works?  First word gives the wing, second identifies the unit within a wing, then the number ident the individuals.  The wing DC may also be able to assign unit identifiers as needed, such as for specific missions.

It works well for the full-time guys, to handle larger gaggles than we ever will worry about.  I think we'll be okay.

Buzz

Quote from: Jerry on August 15, 2005, 03:43:12 PM
I agree that it is not really a good thing for CAP. And why change something that has worked well for eons?

Because this works better.  And it won't be the first time callsigns have changed.  When I was a cadet, CAWG had three sets of callsigns -- White Bear, Brown Bear and Black Bear, assigned to the type of unit (air, mobile or base).  That was scrapped (amid much wailing and gnashing of teeth), but it worked out okay.

I think it would be a good thing that things that are associated with a Wing would be done away with for security reasons.  But  the "sore" point with *some* CAP members is very real and might result in the resignations and non-renewals of many members.

Anyone who is here just for a callsign isn't up to the mission in the first place. 

WRT the removal of the personal Wing/Unit/[personal callsigns, it  just wouldn't be a good thing.

You've staged on this one.  We have no idea whether there will be "personal" callsigns or not.  All we know is that the callsign will be two words and two numbers.  What the limits will be remain to be seen.

We will just have to wait and see. Usually, things turn out to be not so bad as they first seem.  What I HOPE happens, they DO get rid of the current, silly callsigns like CAP-----such n such, and CAPKittyHawk--------, etc. I've alway hated those because they tend to trivialize the callsign structure before the public who have scanner and HF abilities. One problem I see is that, because, CAP IS volunteer you can't assign fluid, random callsigns to an event or just a unit.

Why couldn't you?  There are HOW many millions of possible two-word combinations?  Oshkosh could have Eight Ball and 00 - 99, or Eightball Tacit 00 - 99. Eightball Thunder 00 - 99, Eightball Target 00 - 99 and so on.  There is no way to run out of callsigns before we run out of operators.

So, perhaps, our callsigns will end up being BlueDog 97 or something like that! It'll probabaly work out all right and not be as bad as we speculate! ;)

That's my prediction.  as I said, the full time guys have been doing really well with this system since before you and I were cadets.