CAP/USAF Feedback that could be helpful

Started by billford1, November 15, 2009, 07:52:59 PM

billford1

Has anyone from CAP/USAF had a dialogue with the membership on Captalk before? I don't know if any of them have ever considered it but it might be helpful. I realize that there is a protocol that CAP has traditionally followed but it would be helpful if there was at least a statement that they CAP/USAF could make to the general CAP membership about USAF expectations and perceptions about the appearance of CAP members that could clear up and avoid misunderstandings. I mention this because yesterday I taught a class at an SLS that deals with how members at the Squadron level represent the USAF locally, and that having a professional appearance is paramount.

Nick

Funny, I taught that same class yesterday too! :)

The previous CAP-USAF commander was very open and receptive to input from the membership.  I was very impressed with him as compared to other CAP-USAF commanders in recent history (and I'm not just saying that because I was in CAP-USAF at the time) -- but it's not something I expect to see for reasons below.

I've touched on this subject on several occasions recently, but didn't really get into it: I have observed a significant disconnect between the Civil Air Patrol at the organization-level compared to representation of its members.  How many of these NB and NEC actions that are brought forth by wing and region commanders really represent the interests, concerns and suggestions of their members -- ones that are intended for the betterment of the organization -- versus pushing personal agendas?

While CAP-USAF would be a good watchdog for this sort of business, they unfortunately really can't do much.  If it doesn't have to do with appropriated funds or other Air Force-assigned taskings to their Auxiliary, it's not their place to get involved.  So, for members (or the CAP Talk populous) to channel concerns/complaints/gripes to CAP-USAF on issues they don't control would be a wasted effort.  Instead, a more user-friendly path of communicating these concerns/complaints/gripes internally within the organization needs to be fostered (fighting against the historical good 'ol boy network) by and for the members.  That's supposed to be why we have corporate officers.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Pumbaa

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: billford1 on November 15, 2009, 07:52:59 PM
Has anyone from CAP/USAF had a dialogue with the membership on Captalk before? I don't know if any of them have ever considered it but it might be helpful. I realize that there is a protocol that CAP has traditionally followed but it would be helpful if there was at least a statement that they CAP/USAF could make to the general CAP membership about USAF expectations and perceptions about the appearance of CAP members that could clear up and avoid misunderstandings. I mention this because yesterday I taught a class at an SLS that deals with how members at the Squadron level represent the USAF locally, and that having a professional appearance is paramount.

CAP USAF is specifically primarily tasked with monitoring the Statement of Work Contract compliance between CAP & the UASF.
AF Instructions 10-2701 & 10-2702, as well as AF Policy Directive 10-27 specifically governs the "appropriate"  AF involvement with the management of Civil Air Patrol.

The former CAP-USAF Commander did monitor a number of mail list servers etc & would sometimes send private emails to individuals and on rare occassion post to the group.
RM   

RiverAux

CAP-USAF in the form of its state directors as well as the reservists pretty regularly have contact with CAP.  The CAP-USAF folks are often very involved in compliance inspections and the like.  I know there is a very close relationship between them and our wing leadership.

I am 100% confident you will not see them posting on CAP-Talk though. 

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on November 28, 2009, 03:04:26 AM
I am 100% confident you will not see them posting on CAP-Talk though.

They do however read the forum.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Hawk200

Quote from: billford1 on November 15, 2009, 07:52:59 PMHas anyone from CAP/USAF had a dialogue with the membership on Captalk before?

Not sure why they would. This is simply a forum, and doesn't carry any additional credibility because of it.

I've done a few surveys for the Guard, I think some of those would probably be more beneficial.

billford1

I had a conversation one day with an AF LO who was with a group of 6 AF Officers who attended a Sarex in our state. He mentioned to me that the AF people who oversee us talk among themselves about our problems and that they monitor this forum. The contact I've had with CAP/USAF folks is always face to face and either at a Sarex or at Commander's Call. I'm sure you're right that they probably won't post on CapTalk. If they made a periodic statement in Volunteer Magazine that covers their observations and concerns that would be great.

RiverAux

You know, I read just about every CAP and CG Aux newsletter that is available over the internet and it just occurred to me that it is almost universal that CG Aux newsletters at the District level (equivalent to CAP region more or less) have articles from the CG equivalent of the CAP-USAF regional staff.  At least in one CG Aux District, the CG sends out a newsletter of their own about issues that need to be worked on, and it has been pretty blunt on occasion. 

I don't recall ever seeing a State Director article in a Wing newsletter, but then again I haven't looked for them. 

sarmed1

I will bust that theory.....I am a Traditional Reservist who has CAP-RAP assigned as an additional duty.  I am usually browsing CAP Talk on a regular basis and do post (though not as frequently as I used to)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

flyerthom

Quote from: RiverAux on November 28, 2009, 02:18:56 PM
You know, I read just about every CAP and CG Aux newsletter that is
I don't recall ever seeing a State Director article in a Wing newsletter, but then again I haven't looked for them.

Up until the issue that is at the printer now, Sliver Wings over Nevada has had an article from our state director.  For some reason he did not submit one this issue.
TC

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on November 28, 2009, 02:18:56 PM
You know, I read just about every CAP and CG Aux newsletter that is available over the internet and it just occurred to me that it is almost universal that CG Aux newsletters at the District level (equivalent to CAP region more or less) have articles from the CG equivalent of the CAP-USAF regional staff.  At least in one CG Aux District, the CG sends out a newsletter of their own about issues that need to be worked on, and it has been pretty blunt on occasion. 

The CAWG State Director has an article in every issue of Bear Facts (aka Eagle Call).

Nick

Quote from: sarmed1 on November 28, 2009, 04:21:39 PM
I will bust that theory.....I am a Traditional Reservist who has CAP-RAP assigned as an additional duty.
When'd you jump on that train, Mark? :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus