All, some, or none vs. All or none

Started by ♠SARKID♠, April 17, 2008, 03:43:18 AM

Gunner C

Quote from: cnitas on April 27, 2008, 08:45:22 PM
Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2008, 05:13:05 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 27, 2008, 03:58:33 AM
then reduce the number of ribbons.

But once they earn them...don't make them take them off.

Actually, that's been done at least twice that I know of. Once in the late 50's and again in the late 60's.
But we keep taking after our "parent service" and keep making more ribbons to earn/wear.

How many new ribbons have been authorized for the Air Force since you went through Lackland?
It's not just a CAP problem. The whole US military in general seems to have this problem. ::)

Since we now have 5 Milestone ribbons, we could eliminate achievement ribbons altogether and just keep the milestones +curry. 

That would give a Spaatz cadet who did nothing but test and the required encampment, and a red service award, 8 ribbons. 

How about this:  Curry Award then a Phase II ribbon.  For each additional achievement, put a bronze star on it, a silver for the fifth achievement.  Then have the Mitchell, Earhart, Spaatz, etc.

This cadet would have a possibility of (+ or -) 8 ribbons (Encampment, Red Service, Curry, Phase II, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker, Spaatz).  Cheaper, cleaner, MUCH less bling.

We could do the same for officers:

Get rid of

Garber, Loening, and Leadership Ribbons - Put bronze stars on the Membership Ribbon
Orientation Pilot Ribbon
Counter Drug Ribbon - Use the SAR Ribbon instead
Command Svc - there's a badge
Yeager
Crossfield
LIfesaving - award a Commander's Comm or MSA instead.

GC

RiverAux

I believe you can only wear the command badge when you're commanding.  The ribbon is permanent.

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on April 29, 2008, 12:29:43 AM
I believe you can only wear the command badge when you're commanding.  The ribbon is permanent.

Heck, after the change of command, you don't need the badge OR the ribbon.  It's just unnecessary.

GC

adamblank

The badge could just go on the pocket flap after command is over and eliminate the ribbon.  I would say as a whole our ribbons aren't too out of control.  They can be when mixed with military ribbons and the highest three could be instituted, but if they are all earned, wear them.  They are a good tool to get to know other members and tell a story.
Adam Brandao

jimmydeanno

You know, I don't really care if a cadet has a bunch of ribbons.  We award them for behaviors/actions that are supposed to make them a better person, we use it as motivation.  It also shows them that there is a benefit to doing good things and improving themselves.  True some people miss the boat and think that the whole thing is about ribbons.

I finished the my time as a cadet with with 27 ribbons - so what? I now have 18 What does it matter? Take away the PD ones and combine them I still have 14.  When it comes down to it - sure, if the cadets want a "some" option - give it to them...it doesn't really matter. 

At the end of the day you'll still know what the person is about, whether they're ribbon chasers or they are people who get ribbons because they actually get things done.  If can make my 18 ribbons looks just as "clean" and uncluttered as someone with 6, it's all in the way you present it.

So, whatever, give them the some option and call it a day.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Psicorp

WIWAC and in a squadron on an AF base, we pretty much followed the guidelines we saw the active duty folks use:

Short sleeve blues shirt no tie = no ribbons

Either blues shirt with tie = all ribbons for enlisted cadets, wear of all ribbons optional for cadet officers

Service Coat = all ribbons for all cadets

I've never really cared for the idea of "short stacking" CAP ribbons.  If you're wearing CAP and military ribbons then sure, pick the most important from each if that's your fancy.  For some reason seeing a member who's been around a while wearing only one or two ribbons just doesn't look right.   
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Psicorp on April 29, 2008, 03:13:16 PM
WIWAC and in a squadron on an AF base, we pretty much followed the guidelines we saw the active duty folks use:

Either blues shirt with tie = all ribbons for enlisted cadets, wear of all ribbons optional for cadet officers

I've never really cared for the idea of "short stacking" CAP ribbons.  If you're wearing CAP and military ribbons then sure, pick the most important from each if that's your fancy.  For some reason seeing a member who's been around a while wearing only one or two ribbons just doesn't look right.   

Seeing an officer who has been in CAP for thirty years still wearing CAP cutouts on either side of his collar doesn't look right either...

I think we are basically beating this to death.  I don't see the reason to mandate the wear of ribbons other than on the USAF style service coat.  Other than that, I just don't see a need.  Wearing ribbons on your blue AF shirt just puts holes in it and the shirt starts to fall apart.  I swear that I went through 8-10 different blue shirts WIWAC, some for outgrowing, but the majority for ribbon damage because we were required to wear all of the ribbons.  It never made any sense to me then and it still doesn't.

MIKE

Technically, all that is required on the s/s shirt/blouse is nametag and appropriate grade insignia... It's not like the Coast Guard where you have to wear some unless you have none.
Mike Johnston

Gunner C

Quote from: Psicorp on April 29, 2008, 03:13:16 PM

You'll see very few AF officers with ribbons on a shirt.  Also, AF officers usually (not always) avoid wearing a tie with the short sleeved shirt.  It's a holdover from the days of the 505s and 1505s (tan summer uniform).  They weren't very conducive to wearing ribbons on - the fabric was rather light (not like Army khakis) and they tended to hang.  Aircrews nearly always just wore wings.  NCOs and enlisted tended toward ribbons as did officers who were former enlisted.

GC

Hawk200

Quote from: Gunner C on April 30, 2008, 02:38:46 AM
You'll see very few AF officers with ribbons on a shirt.  Also, AF officers usually (not always) avoid wearing a tie with the short sleeved shirt.  It's a holdover from the days of the 505s and 1505s (tan summer uniform).  They weren't very conducive to wearing ribbons on - the fabric was rather light (not like Army khakis) and they tended to hang.  Aircrews nearly always just wore wings.  NCOs and enlisted tended toward ribbons as did officers who were former enlisted.

Pretty much what I've seen in both Army and Air Force components.

I have been told by a former enlisted officer that many non-prior officers don't like the prior ones wearing ribbons at all. Somehow those non-priors feel that they would be somehow looked down upon by enlisted, or somehow feel that it equates to a ranking system (not sure how that idea came to be, but I can understand the premise). Some people have issues regardless of what they wear.

lordmonar

Quote from: Gunner C on April 30, 2008, 02:38:46 AMAircrews nearly always just wore wings. 

Make that ALWAYS and you'd be correct.  Aviation Badges and Chaplain Badges are MANDITORY on all uniforms.

Officers tend not to wear ribbons on their sevice uniform, enlisted are "encouraged" to wear them.

It's just an Air Force thing.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: lordmonar on April 30, 2008, 05:05:43 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 30, 2008, 02:38:46 AMAircrews nearly always just wore wings. 

Make that ALWAYS and you'd be correct.  Aviation Badges and Chaplain Badges are MANDITORY on all uniforms.

Officers tend not to wear ribbons on their sevice uniform, enlisted are "encouraged" to wear them.

Didn't want to use an absolute - but I was pretty sure that it was, in fact, the case.

GC

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 30, 2008, 05:05:43 PM

Enlisted flyers don't usually wear their ribbons either.

Of course getting flyers, Officers and Enlisted, to wear anything other then flight suits takes an act of Congress.

Getting them to wear Service Dress takes a small act of God.