How to Sew on Lt. Insignia

Started by TF228, May 07, 2012, 06:48:19 PM

TF228

I was hoping someone could explain how to sew on Cadet 2nd. Lt. insignia? Should I cut the blue area or fold it back and sew it?

Thanks!

arajca

Folding it back presents a neater appearance.

TF228

manfredvonrichthofen

To it back and make it square, I dot know why but some tend to make it round or completely take the blue off and it just looks bad. Fold it under on two sides and stitch it all the way across on both sides and then fold it again on the other sides and do the same, then sew it to your uniform. It makes it so that the corners don't fray as easily or become crooked if you sew it straight to start with.

TF228

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 07, 2012, 07:07:13 PM
To it back and make it square, I dot know why but some tend to make it round or completely take the blue off and it just looks bad. Fold it under on two sides and stitch it all the way across on both sides and then fold it again on the other sides and do the same, then sew it to your uniform. It makes it so that the corners don't fray as easily or become crooked if you sew it straight to start with.

Oh, thanks! That's very helpful!

Spaceman3750

If you take it to someone who routinely does military or police uniforms they'll know exactly how to do it (assuming you're not trying to do it yourself).

NIN

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 07, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Find the Elmer's spray adhesive (the water soluble kind). Put your insignia inside a cardboard box (so the overspray doesn't get you), and spray a quick shot on the back of it.

Fold the parallel sides over smoothly, adjusting as necessary to keep the 1/8" rule. Park the folded insignia under a weight of some sort for a few minutes until the adhesive sets up.  Spray the back side again, fold the other two parallel sides. Again subject it to some weight and time.

Spritz it one last time, position it on the uniform, hold till its in place and then sew it on. 

Works about 500x easier than using pins.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

Two reminders:  First, the blue edge should only be 1/8" (which is quite small) from the widest points of the pip.

Second, when you're measuring the distance for the insignia, it's from the edge of the BDU collar to the white embroidery - not to the edge of the blue backing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 07, 2012, 07:27:12 PM
If you take it to someone who routinely does military or police uniforms they'll know exactly how to do it (assuming you're not trying to do it yourself).

This is a skill I was forced to learn when I was 14 years old. My c/cc said my nametag looked like poo. I said "But my grandmother sewed it on.." and the c/cc said "Yeah? Granny ain't standing inspection tonight. You are."

I came home, told my mom this, my mom pulled out the sewing machine and said "I'll teach you how to use this."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

manfredvonrichthofen

My dad was a SM and made me sew all of my stuff on myself.

Eagle

If you cut the insignia, it gets really hard to keep it from fraying when you sew it into place.

EDIT: Congrats on your promotion.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

MSG Mac

1. If there is a "Military Tailor" close to you take it to him. If a regular tailor. Copy the page from CAPM 39-1 and show the tailor exactly how it goes.

2. If you are sewing it yourself the hardest thing is folding the insignia before the actual attachment.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAP4117

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 07, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
1. If there is a "Military Tailor" close to you take it to him. If a regular tailor. Copy the page from CAPM 39-1 and show the tailor exactly how it goes.

+1 I have had bad experiences trying to just explain it to people.