plastic encased insignia for senior members without grade

Started by tebert, May 20, 2010, 12:29:56 AM

tsrup

Not to mention wearing plastic encased rank for FO, TFO, and SFO isn't authorized last I checked...
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on May 21, 2010, 03:18:53 AM
Not to mention wearing plastic encased rank for FO, TFO, and SFO isn't authorized last I checked...

You're going to need to cite on that.  Its a legit grade for senior members - why wouldn't it be authorized.
The practical reality is that that aren't produced, but that doesn't mean they aren't authorized.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on May 21, 2010, 01:47:05 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 21, 2010, 01:24:57 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 20, 2010, 11:28:11 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 20, 2010, 12:31:56 AM
Having said that....I would not bother with the name patch.
I'm not sure that is an option.
Sure it's and option.....and no worse then some of the other uniform violations people willing do.  It is no worse the the entire PAWG wearing the wrong T-shirt.....It is no worse then putting electrical tape over your rank or wings.
Oh, I guess I don't really consider not following the regulations as a legitimate option, but maybe I need to expand my horizons a bit.
try it sometime...you may be surprised.

I will grant you that following the regulations are important.....not saying they are not.  But in all things we can keep a little perspective.

Saving a new SM $20 for a something he may wear 1-2 times before he is promoted to 2d Lt in order to take advantage of a training opportunity is not a bad thing.

As far and few between flight training opportunities come.....if the only thing holding up some one is their leather name patch....I got no problem with letting the slide.  I have also told my NEW SM not to sew on their CAP cut outs for the same reason. 

Does that me a bad person?   So be it.  How many times have we lamented here about the costs of our uniforms and CAP in general.

Let's look at what a SM has to change when they put on 2d Lt.

New Flight CAP (SMWOG wear the enlisted cap).
Service Coat (SMWOG wear the enlisted service coat)
Leather Name Patch.

Let's expand this to other scenarios.

I was in my Mess Dress wearing Capt bars but I was a Major.  (I had only been a Major for less the 24 hours but I was out of uniform)....so do I not attend the Wing Banquet?

Lt Dumbjom gets promoted to Capt and the next day he gets a call out for a SAR flight....none of his uniforms have his new rank....does he not fly?

And our current scenario...

SMWOG Newguy has a chance to fly on the next SAREX....does he buy the pair of Leather Name Patches and high speed ship them or do we make him wait six months for the next opportunity to fly?

Regs are important....again...never said they were not....but there are always exceptions to the rule and one of the hardest jobs in leadership is knowing when and how to bend and break those rules.

So yest you should expand your horizons and explore the greater challenges of leadership.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2010, 03:26:26 AM
Quote from: tsrup on May 21, 2010, 03:18:53 AM

You're going to need to cite on that.  Its a legit grade for senior members - why wouldn't it be authorized.
The practical reality is that that aren't produced, but that doesn't mean they aren't authorized.

Conceded, wasted some time perusing 39-1, nothing to be found.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 21, 2010, 03:28:30 AM
So yest you should expand your horizons and explore the greater challenges of leadership.

Or people could plan better and be prepared for their promotions. The newb with incorrect insignia is one thing.

A major who couldn't be bothered is another.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I've seen the electrical tape trick a lot of times, it really does not look like laughing stock material at all.

In fact, you can barely even see it until you go right up to it.

What stands our more is the "off balance" look in that there is just black on the left. But you know what? You can but them that way, too.

RiverAux

Or, unless you are in the small number of places where a flight suit is required to fly, you could wear one of the other authorized CAP uniforms rather than worry about this issue for the short time most folks are SMWOG.  I'd say the flight suit is going to be a pretty low priority on the uniform purchase list unless it is absolutely required.