plastic encased insignia for senior members without grade

Started by tebert, May 20, 2010, 12:29:56 AM

tebert

If you are wearing the AF style flight suit as a senior member without grade is there a plastic encased insignia you wear or do you just not wear anything unit you reach the rank of 2nd Lt.

lordmonar

You wear nothing....and SM on your Leather Name Patch.

Having said that....I would not bother with the name patch.

No need to spend money for a patch you may only wear 1-2 times.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Nametags are like $3 - get two sets and wear your uniform properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Buy one - cover over the spot with the rank on it with electric tape, nicely cut.

When you reach that milestone rank, peel it off.  At least get some use out of it.

Or, get one with no rank and the 'CAP' centered, then you can use that on a flight jacket later. Or leave that on the inside and get the fully labeled one for outside. Or.. whatever.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2010, 01:12:13 AM
Nametags are like $3 - get two sets and wear your uniform properly.

That would be $8.80 plus shipping and handeling...and if you have a flight jacket that would by times 2.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

tdepp

What, we can't purchase plastic encased nothings from Vanguard for flightsuits? Bummer. ;D
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Spaceman3750

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

kd8gua

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 20, 2010, 01:48:56 PM
What about plastic encased FO/TFO/SFO insignia?

That's when an X-Acto knife, masking tape, plastic encased 1st Lt insignia, and dark blue nail polish become your friend. You have to uncase the cased metal insignia (in a nice enough way you can still replace the insignia without the whole thing looking too gawdy), then mask off the specific number of FO stripes, paint the metal bars with the nail polish, then replace the metal bars in their plastic encasements, and sew on. At promotion time, pop them off, take the metal insignia out, nail polish remover or paint thinner will work great, and change the number of stripes!
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Spaceman3750

Hmm... If that's the case I think I'll either wear none or avoid flight crew activities :P.

Eclipse

Quote from: kd8gua on May 20, 2010, 05:37:16 PM

That's when an X-Acto knife, masking tape, plastic encased 1st Lt insignia, and dark blue nail polish become your friend. You have to uncase the cased metal insignia (in a nice enough way you can still replace the insignia without the whole thing looking too gawdy), then mask off the specific number of FO stripes, paint the metal bars with the nail polish, then replace the metal bars in their plastic encasements, and sew on. At promotion time, pop them off, take the metal insignia out, nail polish remover or paint thinner will work great, and change the number of stripes!

Um, yeah...our uniforms are not craft projects.  You'd be better off just not wearing grade.

Or better still, wear a blue flight suit or jumpsuit and wear the much sharper color-matched cloth grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Proposal

Change Senior Member Without Grade to one of the following:

• Senior Member Without Insignia
  • Senior Member Without Bling
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

MIKE

Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

One thing I've seen some SMWOG's do with the leather patch is get one that says 2LT and cover it with black electrical tape until they actually get their grade.

Back when the AF did the bit with the leather nameplates on BDU's, I saw some who would use a Dymo Labelmaker to make a label of their new grade after being promoted until they actually got a new nameplate made.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on May 20, 2010, 12:31:56 AM
I'm not sure that is an option. 

tebert

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I would rather spend another $10.00 than walk around with black electrical tape on my patch.  Would be the laughing stock of the squadron.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on May 20, 2010, 11:28:11 PM
Sure it's an option.....and no worse then some of the other uniform violations people willing do.  It is no worse the the entire PAWG wearing the wrong T-shirt.....It is no worse then putting electrical tape over your rank or wings.

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on May 21, 2010, 01:24:57 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 20, 2010, 11:28:11 PM
Sure it's and option.....and no worse then some of the other uniform violations people willing do.  It is no worse the the entire PAWG wearing the wrong T-shirt.....It is no worse then putting electrical tape over your rank or wings.
Oh, I guess I don't really consider not following the regulations as a legitimate option, but maybe I need to expand my horizons a bit. 

SarDragon

Quote from: kd8gua on May 20, 2010, 05:37:16 PM

There's a slight hitch there - the insignia inside the plastic aren't metal, they are a different flavor of plastic. I wrecked a set of major insignia, and did a little experimenting on them. The guts aren't metal, and can even be fused to the clear plastic, making that surgery difficult to impossible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret