Is there a reg requiring all leather boots on flight crew

Started by tebert, May 18, 2010, 01:40:08 AM

Capt Rivera

Chuck,

I noticed your disclaimer.

Do I have your permission to:

Redistribute your original work to my squadron?
Upload said work to our website (when it's up)?

The file would stay "as is" in both situations...

Also wondering... is it up to date? I did not notice a "last updated" stamp on it. (Not that I have a clue when the last affecting changes were made)

Thanks.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Captain Rivera on May 22, 2010, 12:57:34 PM
Chuck,

I noticed your disclaimer.

Do I have your permission to:

Redistribute your original work to my squadron?
Upload said work to our website (when it's up)?

The file would stay "as is" in both situations...

Also wondering... is it up to date? I did not notice a "last updated" stamp on it. (Not that I have a clue when the last affecting changes were made)

Thanks.

Squadrons, groups and wings are free to distribute the unofficial uniform guide and upload it to their websites, as long as the disclaimer is left intact. I don't think they've monkeyed around with any more changes to the flight suit/utility uniform so it should be up to date.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 18, 2010, 05:11:54 PM
There is no reg other than specifying black boots with flight suits in CAPM 39-1. Below is a description of what is considered a flight boot, from my unofficial guide to wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform:

QuoteWHAT IS CONSIDERED A 'FLIGHT BOOT'?

To be considered a flight boot, boots must be made of all-leather uppers that come above the ankles (the higher the better) and must be constructed so that metal parts, such as shoestring eyes or zippers, do not contact the wearer's skin. Non-leather boots must be flight approved in accordance with U.S. military standards for aviation use.

Attached is my unofficial CAP uniform wear guide for flight suits/utility uniform.
So, why does your unofficial guide make up its own guidance on this issue? 

MSgt Van

CAPM 39-1, Table 2-4, and table 4-5, item 3 regarding footwear while wearing both styles of flightsuits:
"Footwear Any style leather, plain, black shoe or boot may be worn. No western
style boots (Ropers and Wellingtons are acceptable). For safety reasons,
mesh style boots are not recommended with flying clothing."

Doesn't look like I need a flight boot to me.

DNall

Recommended, but not required is what the book says. Less of an issue than not wearing a serviceable nomex flight suit IMO. I realize this is GA aircraft, but we do slightly more dangerous things in them. Plus, we can't regulate that everyone in the country wear nomex in every kind of airplane, car, etc. We do have something to say about CAP aircrews.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RiverAux on May 22, 2010, 11:18:45 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 18, 2010, 05:11:54 PM
There is no reg other than specifying black boots with flight suits in CAPM 39-1. Below is a description of what is considered a flight boot, from my unofficial guide to wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform:

QuoteWHAT IS CONSIDERED A 'FLIGHT BOOT'?

To be considered a flight boot, boots must be made of all-leather uppers that come above the ankles (the higher the better) and must be constructed so that metal parts, such as shoestring eyes or zippers, do not contact the wearer's skin. Non-leather boots must be flight approved in accordance with U.S. military standards for aviation use.

Attached is my unofficial CAP uniform wear guide for flight suits/utility uniform.
So, why does your unofficial guide make up its own guidance on this issue?

As I mentioned before, it is an UNOFFICIAL wear guide. If I remember correctly, it is from the U.S. Forest Service's guide for flight clothing. It just explains the 'why' ('cause someone will wind up asking 'why do they have to wear this or that'). As my disclaimer explains in the cover, it does not replace official regulations and guidance.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Thrashed

I made it over 13,000 hours without wearing boots.  I'm not starting now.  :D

I also fly over the North pole and Himalayas in low quarter shoes and a short sleeve shirt. Never had a problem.  ;) I know, not single engine. 

Save the triangle thingy