How to avoid a BFR with a F5 under FAA "WINGS"

Started by simon, June 02, 2011, 06:56:45 AM

simon

The FAA WINGS site (http://www.faasafety.gov/) has me bamboozled.

All I wanted to do was login, register my CAP Form 5 and take two courses. "Allegedly" this qualifies as a BFR. This I was told today from a fellow member, so I have not actually verified that it is correct. Perhaps somebody else in this forum knows for sure.

My problem was that I could not navigate my way through the WINGS site to figure out how to do it.

I have actually completed several WINGS courses in the past. I quite liked them. So this is not just because I want to avoid the BFR, which until today I was simply expecting to be a requirement. When I learned that the F5 counted towards a BFR, I was chuffed. I expected that the F5 and the BFR were separate. But I could not for the life of me find out how to put all this together in the WINGS site.

The FAA has headed in the right direction with WINGS, encouraging pilots to improve their aviator skills, but trying to figure out how to plug in the Form 5 is perplexing. CAP Form 5's ares probably 0.005% of their users, so I am not surprised that it is hard to find.

Al Sayre

The easiest way to do it is ask the check pilot ahead of time if he will do your BFR concurrent with the CAPF-5.  Most I know will.  Then just have him/her sign your logbook when your done.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Thrashed

Ask before your F5 if the instructor will do a flight review too. He might add some more oral questions, but the flight stuff is pretty much the same. Some instructors will not do BFR's due to the high liability on the instructor. The FAA has been coming down on them after someone who had a BFR does something wrong. It's a lot of work and liability on an instructor for ZERO pay. I avoid giving BFR's anywhere and anytime.

As for Wings, I started promoting it back in the early 90's and now it is a mess. I try to use it, but it is a joke. Most of the time my stuff doesn't get validated (and I know what I'm doing). I promoted it in CAP for awhile, but gave up. Now I don't mention it. If someone puts in for validation by me, I validate it, but that's all. It's easier and cheaper just to do a BFR.

Save the triangle thingy

Flying Pig

If you do a Form 5 and the two or three online courses it counts.  However, its probably easier to just ask for a BFR during your Form 5 and be done with it.

But if they wont, you can do it through the WINGS program.  But I agree with Thrash.  The WINGS site has become very complicated to navigate through.  Typical government.....

peter rabbit

To enter credit for a CAPF5 or a CAPF91, log into faasafety.gov.
Click on Courses, Seminars, and Activities
Click on Find Activities
Enter Civil Air Patrol as the keyword
Click Search
You should see the CAP activities listed
Click Request Credit
Enter the date of the checkride, and select the check pilot using any of the methods shown
click Submit for Validation
You and the check pilot will both receive an email showing you submitted. Once the check pilot validates the checkride, you'll get an email confirming the credit.
After that, click on Pilots, then My Wings. It should show what you are missing for completion of the current phase for each Wings level and offer suggestions on items that will complete the level. Completion of any level lets you print a certificate and a logbook insert.

simon

Thanks for the "How to" on navigating the site. I actually found my way there late last night. This morning I probably couldn't navigate back...

I did ask for a BFR at the same time as the F5, but a couple of you were correct: The individual declined due to liability. I am okay with that.

I will do the F5 then attempt to run it through WINGS along with the other courses. It might be worth me documenting the step by step procedure in this board for future pilots to have handy.

AirDX

Another route is to have a FAASTeam representative grant the credit for you.  We have at least 4 in our wing, myself among them.  All you have to do is show them the proof of completing the activity, and we can grant the credit imediately.  Use the FAASTeam directory on the website to find one near you.

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AirDX

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 02, 2011, 02:46:50 PM
If you do a Form 5 and the two or three online courses it counts.  However, its probably easier to just ask for a BFR during your Form 5 and be done with it.

A Form 5 and a SINGLE online course will complete Basic Wings, and extend your BFR expiration.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

dbarbee

I've received WINGS/Flight Review credit every year for the last three years by completing ALC-28 Aeronautical Decision-Making Course and & Form 5. The ADM course takes about 20 minutes.
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

DG

One problem with the Wings system is that Flight Activites are listed for:

CAP Form 5 for Commercial / Instrument, and

CAP Form 5 for Private / No Instrument, but

Not for:

CAP Form 5 for Private / Instrument

bosshawk

Suggest that you email the Wings Administrator and mention the problem.  Plan on waiting five years for a response.

Two: does it make any difference in having the Wings credited?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

I believe one of the benefits of doing the WINGS program is FAA Accident forgiveness.  Not sure exactly what that means. But if you screw up and ding something Ive heard it can really help with their decision regarding what to do.  Provided it was a true accident and not negligence.  Also, I believe some aviation insurance companies may give discounts for people active in it.  By completeing WINGS phases also counts as a BFR as well.

simon

It worked. I forgot that when I did my IFR Form 5 for the G1000 last year, I did put that into the WINGS system. That ride alone gives you all but one of the prerequisites for meeting the Advanced WINGS level, which then qualifies as a BFR. So today I did one of the WINGS online courses, the system pumped out an FAA certificate saying that I met all the qualifications of a BFR and that I was good for another two years. That itself is an interesting thought, given that I did the ride last year. I imagine some would say that is not as reliable as taking the ride today. I'd probably agree. But hey, at least the FAA is encouraging pilots to take courses and keep learning. How many of us know pilots out there who just fly their own plane when they want, never do any kind of recurrent training and just call their trusty CFI that they've had for 20 years, who doesn't have any students, and say "Hey I need a BFR".

Unfortunately I rode with one the other day. And you could tell. But that's another story... :-)

Thanks for the guidance on how to get through those crazy menus.

peter rabbit

Quotethe system pumped out an FAA certificate saying that I met all the qualifications of a BFR and that I was good for another two years

Don't forget to attach the small "BFR" certificate to your logbook.

peter rabbit

The FAA has requested constructive suggestions to improve the FAA Wings website:

QuoteWe know there are additional changes that can be made to make the system more user friendly. For example, we know we need to address the problem of displaying all validated credits on the My WINGS page. We also know that displaying online courses on three separate pages (in progress, available, and completed) is not very user friendly.

We now wish to ask you for your feedback on additional changes needed to the automated WINGS system. We invite you to send your suggestions (and comments) to Airmen@FAASafety.gov. All responses will be reviewed and when possible, incorporated into an upcoming revision to the WINGS system. (Note that we are not talking about the WINGS Program itself; we are only addressing changes needed to the automated system on FAASafety.gov.) Please respond on or before August 5, 2011.