G1000 Online Training for CAP

Started by lzu2, February 25, 2011, 02:52:20 PM

jayleswo

Quote from: starshippe on September 30, 2011, 05:10:07 PM
. . very nice course. i do have one mission related question. can the dg be set to true?

The short answer is yes you can (reference page 55 of the Garmin G1000 Pilot's Guide for G1000).

Changing the navigation angle true/magnetic setting:
1) Use the FMS Knob to select the AUX - System Setup Page on the MFD.
2) Press the FMS Knob to activate the cursor.
3) Turn the large FMS Knob to highlight Nav Angle in the Display Units box.
4) Turn the small FMS Knob to highlight the desired setting and press the ENT Key.
• TRUE - References angles to true north (T)
• MAGNETIC - Angles corrected to the computed magnetic variation (Mag Var)

I've never done this myself, but imagine the confusion if you forget to set it back to MAG after completing your grid search!! What I normally do is crank down the scale on the MFD so that the lat/long lines are depicted and align my ground track (and projected course line) with those instead. Works very well.

-- John
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

starshippe

. . thanks. setting and resetting the dg is something that mp's should be able to be taught to do. (tongue in cheek.)

. . we fly the grid using the lat/lon display. usually, navigation to relatively local grids is also done here, as opposed to entering waypoints, etc. as i mentioned, flying to true just eliminates one of the numbers that has to be juggled while flying the grid. it doesnt take long to get off track when u r six degrees off course.

. . i try to train my guys to keep their head outside as much as possible, make fairly frequent glances to the dg, and more infrequent glances to the gps to see how things are really going.

. . i will check and see just how accurate your method is. thanks for that idea.

. . and thanks again for the info.

bill

lzu2

The heading on the HSI comes from the magnetometer out in the airplane's wing. I don't know of any way to override this, but perhaps (I haven't looked) there may be a setting for this in one of the AUX pages.