G1000 Online Training for CAP

Started by lzu2, February 25, 2011, 02:52:20 PM

lzu2

I've been working on a introductory course for the G1000 since last year. It's virtually finished and I'd like to invite any CAP members to check it out. The URL is:

www.capg1000.com

It has three modules. Pilots getting ready to attend the CAP FITS training will absolutely get more out of it if they'll go through this online course first. It's an excellent head start to learning the G1000. Observers and Scanners will also learn a lot if they'll take the first (G1000 Overview) and third (MFD) lessons.

Feel free to send me comments, good or bad, so that I can improve this mini-course. It does require Flash, so it won't run on an iPad.

- Russ, GA112

JeffDG

First comment:  In Chrome, I get audio but no video.

lzu2

Hmmm... Odd. I've been using this same technique to deliver online content for the last five years and never heard that one before. The lessons open in a new window. Is it possible that the lesson window is opening behind other windows?

Try this direct link to a different (not G1000) presentation and see if you have the same problem:
http://www.faa-ground-school.com/private-lessons/first-solo/player.html

Thanks much!

JeffDG

I did the first lesson in IE, and then clicked on the quiz in Chrome and it worked...

Possibly a momentary disturbance in the Force!

Looks really good, BTW.

lzu2

Roger that, Jeff. Thanks for giving it a run through.

JeffDG

I'll run through the rest over the weekend probably.

One thing...the first question on the quiz, it was about the different modules.  It had ADC and AHRS for one answer and AHRS and ADC for another...I guess I picked the wrong order.

lzu2

Let me look at that quiz. It shouldn't be an issue of order. I'll check it out and correct it if necessary. Thanks.

Ok, I just looked at it. It's not order of words, but order of letters. E.g. ADC versus ACD and AHRS versus ARHS.

JeffDG

Mind if I just drop comments as I see them going through here?  Good "notebook" for that sort of thing

lzu2

Sure, Jeff. But feel free to email me directly (via the Contact link on the site) if you have extensive comments.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JeffDG on February 25, 2011, 03:08:41 PM
First comment:  In Chrome, I get audio but no video.

I had the same thing happen.  I seems that if you double-click the blank, grey area in the window the video will start.  Strange.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lzu2

Thanks for that report, Jimmy. Not sure what I can do about it, but I'll try. Were you also using Chrome?

Manchu

Very nice job Russ.

One of the better online courses I've taken.  Your presenter/voice is one of the best I've heard.  A real pro.

I look forward to seeing the completed program.

c172drv

Russ,
     You need to be congratulated on the work you have done.  :clap: :clap: :clap:  I think that this is the way forward for the organization with this type of training.  Great work and I'll be recommending this to the folks in my squadron.

John
John Jester
VAWG

lzu2

Thanks Manchu and John. Much appreciated. I really think it will give CAP pilots a "leg up" as they go into their transition training.

- Russ

Tubacap

I just viewed the course for about a minute, but had the same issue with it not opening in Chrome.  I resized Chrome and then put it back to maximize and the content loaded.  The same thing happens every now and then to pdfs. 

Looking forward to viewing the course!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lzu2 on February 25, 2011, 05:17:57 PM
Thanks for that report, Jimmy. Not sure what I can do about it, but I'll try. Were you also using Chrome?

Yes, I was also using chrome.  But I will say that the course looks great - I'd hate to give the impression that I was only criticizing.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lzu2

No worries, Jimmy. It just looks like Chrome doesn't support flash as elegantly as other browsers. I do appreciate the heads up. If you have other comments or suggestions, please send 'em on. - Russ

lzu2

I'm now working on a multimedia lesson for the GFC 700 (autopilot/flight director). I could use some critiques from people who are already familiar with the system (to check my accuracy) as well as people trying to learn it.

If you'd like to take a look and give me some honest feedback, email me at russell@goldsealflight.com and I'll send you a link.

- Russ, GA112

Flying Pig

Wow man that was awesome.  Its things like this that I miss about CAP

starshippe

. . very nice course. i do have one mission related question. can the dg be set to true?

. . when training mission pilots, when flying lat/lon grids, i recommend that the dg be set to true. this eliminates one of the sources of error when flying grids and trying to maintain the expected +/- 0.03 minute accuracy.

. . with our steam gauge dg, its a simple matter of cranking it over six degrees. can this be done electronically in the g1000?

thanks,

bill