Main Menu

Safety education rates

Started by MachPoint77, December 22, 2023, 04:47:04 PM

MachPoint77

One of the big focuses in my squadron (and wing) is our safety education numbers.  Around half our members get the safety briefing at our first Tuesday meeting every month.  For those that can't make the meeting, I send out an email with the current month's Dispatch attached and a Jotform link.  They can read the Dispatch and submit their name via the jotform.  This usually brings our participation rate up into the 75% range.  What other ways can I use to "clean up the stragglers" and maximize our monthly numbers? 

Eclipse

Quote from: MachPoint77 on December 22, 2023, 04:47:04 PMOne of the big focuses in my squadron (and wing) is our safety education numbers.

Why?

Ticket-punch safety "education" does nothing to instill the actual safety
culture NHQ purports to pursue.  In fact quite the reverse.

Your time would be much better used stressing the mission-first / safety third culture
that works to build excellence of execution into a program where safety is a personal
responsibility and part of "doing things right because it's the right thing to do."

The safe winter driving and turkey fryer PPTs that float around this time of year are
a spectacular waste of time no one pays any attention to.

"That Others May Zoom"

MachPoint77

Agreed.   But what are some good examples of doing that?

My first thought is to make safety briefs more interactive.  Perhaps present a safety scenario for analysis/discussion.

Still gotta hit the numbers, but my thought is that if safety is more engaging, then the numbers will follow.

Eclipse

Quote from: MachPoint77 on December 22, 2023, 05:39:20 PMPerhaps present a safety scenario for analysis/discussion.

Each month pull an incident report that is relevent to your members and discuss what happened, how it got to that point, and how to avoid it in the future.  FSM knows there are plenty of mishaps to choose from.

Quote from: MachPoint77 on December 22, 2023, 05:39:20 PMStill gotta hit the numbers,

Again, why? There's no requirement a unit do this. Safety "currency" hasn't been a "thing" for ages.
It's actually self-defeating.

"That Others May Zoom"

MachPoint77

OK thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I have some research to do.  And maybe some up-the-chain pushback.

Chris

TheSkyHornet

I'm with Eclipse.

There's absolutely no reason to fill the "safety roster" anymore. It doesn't even look bad these days, like it used to.

The people who tend to show up to that Tuesday meeting during which Safety just happens to get covered are probably the ones who needed the educational lesson anyway since they're probably the ones being impacted by it.

I've had to stress this point to my Deputy Commander several times because he has occasions where he is adamant that "we need to get the numbers up." The numbers aren't down. In fact, we probably focus more on safety in an unrecorded fashion than we do a 15-minute presentation "because we have to talk about something."

We're also in an era of total information overload in the post-COVID world of media. Newsletters, briefings, PowerPoints, emails, etc. It's not all relevant. It's not all being received. And we don't need to record the percentage of everyone who listened to your ad hoc thought of importance in the shining moment of clarity.

Okay, so 75% of the unit attended Safety Education that day. Go back next month and ask them to put together a presentation on the same topic. How many of them will remember it?

In many cases, a "Clinic" can be far more valuable for very specific operations groups, say, for example, pilots discussing fuel performance planning; or your cadet program and senior cadre talking about workload balance during finals week.

ChiefCubsFan

I email the monthly safety briefings. I also put them on our social media pages. I suppose if you want to improve  your numbers you could give a 5 minute safety briefing every week and give credit to those who missed the monthly safety briefing. It might be a problem tracking it if you have a big squadron.

PHall

You giving a lot of time and effort to numbers that don't mean anything anymore.
But hey it's your time, spend it as you wish.

Fubar

My favorite move is the units with 100% safety compliance. Since they email a briefing out to everyone the unit, they deemed everyone is in compliance....

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on January 20, 2024, 04:26:53 AMMy favorite move is the units with 100% safety compliance. Since they email a briefing out to everyone the unit, they deemed everyone is in compliance....

Google Workspaces has some tools to tell if a message was opened, read, and how long a user spent
on the document.

It never gets old to pull the reports in a meeting that show someone spent 14 seconds total reading
a required publication, then expects credit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe they have a photographic memory >:D