Main Menu

SM Staff Assignment

Started by AckAck, January 17, 2019, 06:53:50 PM

AckAck

I can't seem to find definitive language on this, but what counts as "Command or Staff Assignment" for SM PD?  Being in command is clear - but what counts as "Staff"? Would being a squadron's PAO count?  Or does it need to be at a Group / Wing level?

TheSkyHornet

Staff would mean that you hold a duty assignment at that respective unit.

Not everyone immediately has a duty assignment upon joining. If you serve as a member of the "Logistics," that would mean the Logistics Officer and the roles that report to the Logistics Officer at that echelon.

To serve on "staff" is respective to the unit being referred to. If you just need to be assigned as staff, you are the staff of the Commander at the echelon of assignment; it could technically be at any echelon, wherever you are assigned.

CAPR 20-1, Section D kind of touches on this with the explanation of Commanders having the authority to appoint staffs. You may have to read between the lines on it, since there isn't a definition of what "Staff" in itself actually means, but it's implied as a person working for their Commander at that respective headquarters level.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 17, 2019, 07:07:54 PM
Staff would mean that you hold a duty assignment at that respective unit.

Yep - should be reflected in eServices as an assignment of record.  Echelon is irrelevant to the requirement unless specified in the pamphlet.

(Ex: ES Master requires assignment at Wing or higher).

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

To be "on staff" means that someone in your squadron / group / wing had to put you into a Duty Assignment in eServices and the commander of that unit had to approve it. Check you member record to see if it was done for (to?) you. You need to have completed Level 1 for that to be possible, and SHOULD be enrolled in the appropriate Specialty Track for the duty assignment, but it's mostly an administrative thing of pressing a few mouse buttons.

AckAck

Got it, thanks all for the replies.  If I'm understanding correctly, if we used getting promoted to Level 3 / Captain - as long as I have had a squadron Duty Assignment for at least one year, that would check the box for the Level 3 "Command & Duty Assignment" box.

arajca