Main Menu

Interested in Joining.

Started by thepatriot313, June 17, 2009, 06:48:19 AM

thepatriot313

I am definately interested in joining CAP. I was just wondering what the requirements were. I heard as long as your 12-18 you can join  as a cadet, but is that it or are there other requirements that need to be met.

lordmonar

You must be a U.S. Citezen or legally admitted alien.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pumbaa

You must not ask about uniforms on this board....

BillB

Pumbaa    Is that a cause for 2b ??
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

gistek

Head over to http://cap.findlocation.com/ to find a unit near you. Most encourage prospective members to visit a few times before joining, so take advantage of that.

Pumbaa

Seriously, visit a squadron at least 3x before deciding on joining it.

thepatriot313

Are there any requirements pertaining to school? Also there are only 3 squadrons in my area and only one that I can actually commute to so I pretty much have to join that one.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age. Note: Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school. These squadrons are monitored by the Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
b. Enrolled in or graduated from a private, public, home school or college program with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
c. Single or married and under age 18.
d. Not a member of the active duty Armed Forces. NOTE: National Guard and Reserve personnel are not considered active duty Armed Forces unless they are serving on extended active duty. For the purpose of this regulation, CAP does not consider Basic Military Training for Guard and Reserve personnel as extended active duty.
e. Citizenship. Be a citizen of the United States of America or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence to the United States of America and its territories and possessions or any lawfully admitted non-citizen residing in the United States specifically approved by the National Commander's designee (NHQ CAP/LMM).
1) Those persons in "admitted for permanent residence" status must possess and present a current Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151 or I-551) when making application for CAP membership. If an alien's status changes from "admitted for permanent residence" other then by reason of acquiring citizenship, the alien is no longer eligible for membership.
2) Requests for waiver of citizenship criteria for lawfully admitted non-citizens residing in the United States who were not admitted for permanent residence will be submitted through the wing and region commander along with a copy of the membership application to Membership Services (NHQ CAP/LMM). The waiver, if approved, will be only for the period of residence within the United States.
f. Good moral character.
g. If a former member of CAP, must not have been terminated for misconduct.
h. Be accepted by the unit and higher headquarters.=
Mike Johnston

thepatriot313

So GeD people are not permitted?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

thepatriot313

I am Interested in Joining CAP and Live in the Brooklyn Area. The closest squadron to me is the Black Knights who meet at BTHS. I was just wondering if anybody was from that squadron could give me some Information. What do you's do at meetings? What special activities do you do? Also I have come across some conflicting information. The CAP website says I need to Contact 1st Lieutenant Eric Nightlinger, but the BTHS website says to Contact Mr. Louis Morgan. Any help is appreciated.

IceNine

Your very best option is to attend a meeting.

All of your questions will be answered there, simply show up about 30 minutes after the start of the meeting and the unit members should be able to speak with you about the program, activities, participation requirements, and who you should talk to.

and as far as who to contact go with the CAP website first, and if no luck then call the school's contact.

Good Luck
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dwb

We have a Brooklyn Tech guy on the forums.  His user name is either *BTCS or BTCS*, he should be able to answer your questions.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

BTCS1*

I know im a bit late but if you are interested in joining BTCS you are more than welcome to stop by our meetings. We meet fridays at Brooklyn Tech HS in room 3N3. PM me if you have any questions.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP