Post College Re-Up in May 2015

Started by The0-1Guy, November 18, 2014, 12:16:35 AM

The0-1Guy

Okay all, my last experience with my squadron was interesting because I really did not have the time to TRULY become involved (pick a track, work with cadets, go to encampments, etc..) and I would like to do so the next time I have the chance to volunteer again.  Yes, I am also looking for a good comp sqn, as I enjoy working with the younger generation as well as the older generations. (I'm 22, "laughs out loud")

What encampments do y'all recommend and why?
What tracks do y'all enjoy the most and why?

I may be in Naples, FL for work for a few years, or up by Chicago (I restore classic vehicles for museums/collectors) just for some pos clarification to narrow down whats in the areas as far as camps, activities, squadrons etc...

Thanks in advance- I am still very, very green to all of this.
2nd. LT SM SWR-TX-413 Nighthawks "Eyes over Texas"
Eagle Scout
PADI Diver
Martial Artist

Майор Хаткевич

Find a unit local to you, get used to how they do things. Explore what is offered in the wing. Go from there.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on November 18, 2014, 03:06:20 AM
Find a unit local to you, get used to how they do things. Explore what is offered in the wing. Go from there.

+1 - don't worry about "which encampments", "which tracks".  First thing is find the restrooms,
then worry about the other stuff.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

To add onto that, I was in relatively good contact (at least...not gone completely), with my squadron during college. Still spent almost two months going to meetings, and watching what happens before getting a job. Other things kept the time that long, but certainly it was part exploration of what to do as a new, 22 year old SM, and the other part was inertia.

The CyBorg is destroyed

If you have the option of having more than one unit reasonably close to you, try them all out.

Even though I dislike the three categories of unit, try a composite squadron (usually an even mix of cadets and seniors), a cadet squadron (nominally mostly cadets, but I've seen cadet squadrons that operate like composite squadrons) and a senior squadron (beware, some can be like "pilots-only" flying clubs, but certainly not all).  If you have that option, of course.

Some units will be gung-ho to sign you up and get you into as many jobs as possible.  Others may act like you're not even there.  Most are somewhere in the middle.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

I haven't re-joined CAP since I have been in FL, but SWFL doesn't seem very active.  The SQ in Punta Gorda ( I know thats about a 1.5hr drive from you) is snowbird based.   In the off season they only meet once every 3 months.  But restoring cars.... I can see Naples being a great place for that.  Lots of disposable income and down there  >:D

AirAux

The best encampment and they look for adult volunteers is Blue Beret in Oshgosh Wisconsin. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 18, 2014, 02:58:36 PM
I haven't re-joined CAP since I have been in FL, but SWFL doesn't seem very active.

I'd bet the CGAUX is active in that area, what with all the water...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on November 18, 2014, 10:54:51 PM
The best encampment and they look for adult volunteers is Blue Beret in Oshgosh Wisconsin.

Blue Beret is not an encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"