Main Menu

Legal name change?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, September 22, 2014, 05:28:01 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

For some years I have been thinking about legally changing my name.  Not drastically, just back to the original version of my last name that one of my forebears changed sometime in the 19th century because of anti-German sentiment in the United States (though we were actually Swiss rather than Germany itself).

Only one letter would change in my last name, although it would have an umlaut (interesting to see how VG would handle printing new nameplates and tapes for me, that!)

How does CAP view the possibility of my doing such a thing?

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

In the past, I've gone into eServices and made name changes where things were wrong, based on the interpretation of the handwriting on the application. Just change it to match your ID when that happens.

EMT-83

I'm sure CAP doesn't really care. If you can't change it in eServices, member services at NHQ can do so easily.

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2014, 05:28:01 AM
How does CAP view the possibility of my doing such a thing?
CAP has nothing to do with it.   Change your name...tell CAP what it was changed to....be done.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Umlats and enye, among other "exciting" characters are no longer really an issue - computers
read them no different then any other character.

Now, what I would suggest is leaving the spelling the same but legally changing  the pronunciation.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

If you are going to change it, might as well go for the gusto, change it to Major Major Major and get that long awaited promotion... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

I see name plates everywhere with punctuation added.  A lot of hispanic names have that.  Its not an issue for printing or embroidering.   Its 2014!  One deputy I worked with in Fresno had his last name printed in Laotian for when he worked many of the Laotian festivals.  He would wear his english printed name on top and on the bottom wore one printed in whatever script they call that in Laos. (btw....he was from Laos)

Eclipse

I've seen a lot of photos of guys in theater with two nametapes, one in English and one in Arabic.

"That Others May Zoom"

jhighman

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 22, 2014, 01:59:39 PM
If you are going to change it, might as well go for the gusto, change it to Major Major Major and get that long awaited promotion... >:D

I don't know... sounds like a Catch-22 to me.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2014, 01:12:27 PM
Now, what I would suggest is leaving the spelling the same but legally changing  the pronunciation.

Wouldn't work - the change would involve changing one letter to another with the umlaut.

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 22, 2014, 01:59:39 PM

Cute.  Reminds me of a medical clinic sign I once saw years ago.  One of the physicians on staff had the last name "Doctor."

Doctor Doctor...paging Doctor Doctor...

I don't know if Dick Sargent from Bewitched was ever in the military, but if he was and became an NCO in the Army/Marines/AF...instant "Sergeant Sargent."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
Cute.  Reminds me of a medical clinic sign I once saw years ago.  One of the physicians on staff had the last name "Doctor."

Doctor Doctor...paging Doctor Doctor...

As there is no standard for hospital codes, some hospitals have adopted a "Doctor" paging system.  Most people recognize code blue meaning a cardio-respiratory emergency.  However, in some of the hospitals I have worked, they have used:

Paging Dr Pink (Dolphin):  Child Abduction--All of the physicians, nurses, lab, etc that worked in the newborn area had dolphins printed on their badges
Paging Dr Brown:  Shooter / Hostage
Paging Dr White:  Violent or abusive patient
Paging Dr Black:  Bomb

So it would sound like we were actually paging a real physician:  Paging Dr White to the ER, Dr White to the ER. 

Those were used as there are people with those last names (except pink).  However, for other codes, (yellow, orange, red, etc), it was still just code yellow, code red, etc.  Never, did find out what would happen if they had to page a real physician named Dr. White, Dr. Black, or Dr Brown. 

Eclipse

"Paging Dr. Brown" is what happens when you turn the corner and the shooter is standing right in front of you...

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
"Paging Dr. Brown" is what happens when you turn the corner and the shooter is standing right in front of you...

Or "Dr Browntrousers..." 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 22, 2014, 02:45:48 PM
I see name plates everywhere with punctuation added.  A lot of hispanic names have that.  Its not an issue for printing or embroidering.   Its 2014!  One deputy I worked with in Fresno had his last name printed in Laotian for when he worked many of the Laotian festivals.  He would wear his english printed name on top and on the bottom wore one printed in whatever script they call that in Laos. (btw....he was from Laos)

My Vietnamese nametag says I am "Sweet". Of course others told me it means just the opposite   8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2014, 09:14:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

Or "Dr Browntrousers..." 8)

I got a cool tat of a Japanese character. I was told it meant STRENGTH. Turns out it was SOUP.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LSThiker

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 24, 2014, 04:24:18 PM
I got a cool tat of a Japanese character. I was told it meant STRENGTH. Turns out it was SOUP.

I have had numerous Chinese friends over the years.  They would tell me what a lot of the tattoos would read.  It was always a fun time.  Usually never what the person thought it meant.  The best one was a person that had "love", but really read "foreigner". 

Flying Pig

I was at a fair and a guy was writing names on paper so I got mine done.  A few years later I buddy of mine I work with is over at my house and sees it and asks what it is.  He's fluent in speaking and writing Japanese (because he is Japanese)  So I tell him its my name in Japanese.  He says "Dude that doesn't say anything "  >:D  It cost me $1 ;D

Private Investigator

トモダチコレクション 新生活

I guess that could mean anything. But it is always funny to tell people what works for that moment. Also I could be cussing and I beat all filters in place  8)

Garibaldi

Omaiwaaaa!!! Bakayaro! Kimi wa nani mono da? Kite! Kite! Chuuri...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

I changed my CAPTalk name. Really, a simple process.