Does your squadron have a Booster Club?

Started by The Infamous Meerkat, March 27, 2013, 02:55:57 PM

Slim

"Round here, we've always been able to make deposits locally, then scan/email the receipt and a (wing created) WBP deposit form to the wing administrator.  She then logged the deposit in the unit account, and filed the form and receipt electronically, we kept a copy for our records, and everyone was happy. 

We ran our unit supply box as mentioned; small amount of cash/change on hand, member purchases an item, the logistics officer generated a receipt, anything over the set amount for change (IIRC, with was like $5-10 max) was taken by the LG (who was also finance officer) and deposited using the above procedure.  We never really generated a ton of sales out of it anyway, mostly ribbons at $1 a piece, we use a "Trade up" system for grade insignia; you buy a set of cutouts when you join, when you get your Curry, we exchange them for C/Amn insignia, rinse/repeat for Arnold through Armstrong, when they hit Mitchell, they're responsible for their buying/ordering their own stuff.  I doubt this has changed in the six months I've been gone. 

Also, FWIW, I never once worried about the integrity of the process of having my logistics and finance officer hats being on the same head.  He has always been very up front about what he does, the books always balanced out every month, and I've never once had a reason to question him.  Our finance procedures were listed as a best practice on an SUI under a previous commander, and were kept through my tenure.  It's also the same guy who was doing both jobs way back when Nin was commander of my squadron.

When I was encampment commander a few years back, all of the applications/fees came to my house.  I processed the applications, created a receipt, logged the incoming funds on an excel sheet, and did a hand off to the wing finance officer once or twice a week.  The big issue came during the week of the event.  We had all this money coming in (walk-in applications, clothing and hat sales, etc) to the tune of about $2000.  That was also the year wing changed from one major bank to another, and new bank didn't have a local branch; the closest was a 130 mile, 2.5 hour car ride away.  We maintained accountability for it, I kept it locked in my quarters until it was time to balance the books every day, then it went right back there.

I know of one unit in my group that has (or had--not sure) a booster club.  As I understand, it's been around for many years and was allowed to continue after WBP came along.  I'm going off five year old memory here, but as I recall, they funded things like uniforms, encampment scholarships and membership renewals for needy members of the unit, things that corporate funds couldn't be used for.  The year I was encampment commander, the club sponsored scholarships for all members of the squadron, cadet and senior.  They were properly/legally organized as a 501c3, etc, and their bylaws prohibited any member of the squadron from being on the board of directors and possibly even belonging to the club.  The commander could be called as a consultant or adviser, but couldn't be present when they voted on items.  Like I said, this is all five year old memories; for all I know, it could have shut down by now.

Slim

Thom

As a Squadron Commander who loves his local booster club, here's my thoughts:

1. If you want a REASON to have a booster club, you can look on Google Maps, at the East side of KBTR. That ~6500sq ft. building my squadron is in was built and paid for by the local booster club hosting Bingo nights once a week for a few years in the late 70s/early 80s. The building is perfect for our needs, and the booster club allows the squadron free use of it. No rent, no payment exchanged. The club's endowment interest (the club does much less fundraising now, though I'm not directly involved, so I don't keep track...) pays to keep the lights on. The club also allows the FAA, AOPA, and others to host events at the building, some for free, some for rent. Who wouldn't want a well-built, well-located, permanent home for their squadron. Hopefully in a couple of years the club will get their fundraising spooled up to build us a hangar. Then we'll really be set.

2. For those who say the only purpose of clubs is to siphon off money that should have been raised under CAP's auspices, I'll say they had a reason at the time. By erecting the building under the club's auspices, they made sure that it got built for the squadron's use. I believe (this predates my time here by about 30 years) that they worried that even if they raised the money as squadron funds (assuming the same profitable fundraising events would have been OK with CAP), that Wing/Region/NHQ wouldn't let them spend that much to build a permanent building. And if they did, CAP could just step in a year later and say: "Thanks, we need this building to be Wing HQ now. Move out." Whether the club approach is truly better for CAP in the long run is an open question, but it certainly has worked out well for the squadron.

3. If you don't want a club involved in your squadron's business, just say so. I haven't had to worry about it, because the local club does NOTHING for the squadron except provide a building. That's it. Zero dollars exchanged. No paying for Cadet trips, or anything else. And, as noted, they also support other organizations. But if they were to raise the specter of doing something I didn't approve of, I'd just say NO. As long as you have the approval of your Group and Wing Commanders, you can shut down bad ideas easily. You just have to utilize that command authority.

4. Wing Banker has been a non-issue for us. Anyone who doesn't know how to do F108s correctly gets remedial training until they do. We don't accept cash, and deposits are easy. The snacko stuff is done entirely with non-CAP, non-Squadron money, so no problems there. It does remind me though, I wasn't sure how we would handle selling Cadets their squadron patches, but we're out of them and I have to find a new place to have them done. (The old stash of patches was done in the 90s, they apparently bought like 500 of the things, and we finally ran out...)

I think that covers it.

Thom

Eclipse

Quote from: Thom on March 30, 2013, 08:39:35 PM2. For those who say the only purpose of clubs is to siphon off money that should have been raised under CAP's auspices, I'll say they had a reason at the time. By erecting the building under the club's auspices, they made sure that it got built for the squadron's use. I believe (this predates my time here by about 30 years) that they worried that even if they raised the money as squadron funds (assuming the same profitable fundraising events would have been OK with CAP), that Wing/Region/NHQ wouldn't let them spend that much to build a permanent building. And if they did, CAP could just step in a year later and say: "Thanks, we need this building to be Wing HQ now. Move out." Whether the club approach is truly better for CAP in the long run is an open question, but it certainly has worked out well for the squadron.

Pretty much made my point on this.

So if wing replaces the CC and the booster club doesn't like the new guy? That's not how CAP is supposed to work.

Quote from: Thom on March 30, 2013, 08:39:35 PM3. If you don't want a club involved in your squadron's business, just say so. I haven't had to worry about it, because the local club does NOTHING for the squadron except provide a building. That's it. Zero dollars exchanged. No paying for Cadet trips, or anything else. And, as noted, they also support other organizations. But if they were to raise the specter of doing something I didn't approve of, I'd just say NO. As long as you have the approval of your Group and Wing Commanders, you can shut down bad ideas easily. You just have to utilize that command authority.

How are you going to say "no"? You have no say in what they do.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on March 29, 2013, 03:13:46 PM
I would like someone to provide a simple example of a reason to have one of these clubs.

In the example above, you're circumventing both the CAP policy of negotiating with large entities at the squadron level,
and likely the intent of the grant in terms of the intended recipients.

People trying to use a booster club to game the system are asking for serious trouble.

To build on another thread, The 83rd Composite Squadron Support Group (our squadron's "booster club") Applied for and received funding to purchase competition level air rifles for our squadron's marksmanship program.  CAP regs do not allow squadrons or even wings to "own" firearms or air rifles.  The ownership remains with the support group and the support group "loans" the rifles to the program.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

NIN

Took me a minute, KBTR also hosts the Wing HQ just down the very same street, it seems, so I had to kind of go "that looks like a HQ..." but then Street View solved it for me :)

On a similar note (WRT buildings, etc):  12+ years ago, we had a gent come from the UK and join CAP here.  He had been (and is again now that he's back in the UK) in the Air Cadets, and while he was in CAP here he'd come down and visit my squadron frequently where we met in the ARNG Armory in town.

He said to me one day "I don't get it.  The biggest, most powerful Air Force in the world, and they can't build some buildings for their cadets?"

I said "What do you mean?"

Apparently, in the UK, there is a sort of foundation or similar that is separate from the Air Cadets but either directly controlled or tied into both it and the RAF that handles all the real estate for the Air Cadets, manages all the buildings, contracts for utilities, etc.  They built my friend a BRAND NEW squadron HQ about 2 years ago, even (if you can see it: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.115307765203154.19224.115289971871600&type=3  and https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.169738969760033.50208.115289971871600&type=3)

EVERY ATC unit that is established has a building.  None of this fly-by-night in the terminal of the airport or church basement stuff.

He was just literally stunned that the biggest, most bad-ass "Fly, fight and win" Air Force, the USAF, couldn't be bothered to find a way to supply their cadets with a "proper building" (in his words).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

I am glad it worked out for some. Because adult personalities tend to be, well not adult, IMHO   ::)

Duke Dillio

I've been involved with squadrons that have booster clubs and it can be quite beneficial.  Eclipse asked about why anyone would want a booster club.  The simple answer is that booster clubs can raise funds in ways that are banned by CAP regulation.  Is this a workaround of the system?  IMO, not really.  The reason that most fundraising activities are banned by CAP is because the corporation is trying to protect itself from liability.  They also try to avoid activities which might look poorly upon CAP.  So PR and liability issues are the two reasons for the regulation.

Insert a booster club who accepts all liability and is willing to conduct fundraising activities which "look poorly."  Give it a name that doesn't indicate affiliation with CAP or the local squadron.  Set it up so that the bylaws for that organization prevent undue political interest in the local unit (the hardest part IMO) and wham power money maker.

One of the reasons why the unit booster club was so successful where I was before was because they got in with a bingo hall (completely against CAP regulation).  Bingo can net you some serious cash if you know how to run it correctly.  The booster club paid for NCSA's for cadets, ran a scholarship program, and provided additional cash infusion to the squadron.  If setup properly, booster clubs can be great.  We just always hear about the ones that are....  um....  not so great....

MajorM

In the example I provided there is no circumventing anything, though I'm glad you can cast yourself as judge Eclipse.

The booster club meets the requirements set forth by the Funder in an open, competitive application process.  But as part of the application the club must provide proof of the agreement between CAP and the club.  Of course only the Wing CC can sign such an agreement as it is a contract.  So that provides the tie in to the established structure. 

As far as whether npo's ever fund other npo's... That happens all the time.  I work as a VP for a large regional npo.  We fund other npo's on a regular basis. We have the grant staff and capacity to get funding that we then pass on, via contracts, to fellow npo's.

In addition, foundations are npo's that must fund other npo's.  Hence if I was establishing a "booster club" I'd probably pursue the foundation route.

How common are they?  No clue.  However I've belonged to six squadrons in my time.  Five of those had active 501c3 support organizations.  Small datasets provide small data, but that's my experience.

Booster clubs shouldn't be approached lightly.  They require a firm understanding of non-profit law and operations.  They also create another organization that requires care and feeding.  If you lack senior support for the basic missions then a booster club isn't going to help.

Walkman

Eclipse - You do raise some very valid points and I agree that there are probably some bad eggs out there. I do think that if done correctly and run by people with integrity, they can be a benefit. It's a fine line to walk, however, because there with money and power runs the potential for the abuse of both, so it's good to be cautious.

One thing that a booster club can do as a proper npo is set up investments to continue building on funds year over year. A former cadet in another unit invested a significant sum in a program to be able to continually be able to provide encampment scholarships to cadets in need. He felt he owed a great deal to CAP for who he became and wanted to do what he could to provide as many other cadets the opportunities as possible.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Walkman on April 01, 2013, 02:31:41 AM
One thing that a booster club can do as a proper npo is set up investments to continue building on funds year over year.

Just as an FYI, local units can also set up investments:

Quote from: CAPR 173-1, 16-b
b. Units below wing level may invest funds in certificates of deposit or other investment instruments. All funds so invested must be readily available without loss of principal.

There isn't anything stopping a unit with sufficient capital from investing in something that would/could provide scholarships in the future.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Walkman

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 01, 2013, 02:40:09 AM
Quote from: Walkman on April 01, 2013, 02:31:41 AM
One thing that a booster club can do as a proper npo is set up investments to continue building on funds year over year.

Just as an FYI, local units can also set up investments:

Quote from: CAPR 173-1, 16-b
b. Units below wing level may invest funds in certificates of deposit or other investment instruments. All funds so invested must be readily available without loss of principal.

There isn't anything stopping a unit with sufficient capital from investing in something that would/could provide scholarships in the future.

Learn something new every day!

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: NIN on March 31, 2013, 02:54:57 PM
Took me a minute, KBTR also hosts the Wing HQ just down the very same street, it seems, so I had to kind of go "that looks like a HQ..." but then Street View solved it for me :)

On a similar note (WRT buildings, etc):  12+ years ago, we had a gent come from the UK and join CAP here.  He had been (and is again now that he's back in the UK) in the Air Cadets, and while he was in CAP here he'd come down and visit my squadron frequently where we met in the ARNG Armory in town.

He said to me one day "I don't get it.  The biggest, most powerful Air Force in the world, and they can't build some buildings for their cadets?"

I said "What do you mean?"

Apparently, in the UK, there is a sort of foundation or similar that is separate from the Air Cadets but either directly controlled or tied into both it and the RAF that handles all the real estate for the Air Cadets, manages all the buildings, contracts for utilities, etc.  They built my friend a BRAND NEW squadron HQ about 2 years ago, even (if you can see it: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.115307765203154.19224.115289971871600&type=3  and https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.169738969760033.50208.115289971871600&type=3)

EVERY ATC unit that is established has a building.  None of this fly-by-night in the terminal of the airport or church basement stuff.

He was just literally stunned that the biggest, most bad-ass "Fly, fight and win" Air Force, the USAF, couldn't be bothered to find a way to supply their cadets with a "proper building" (in his words).

Having spoken with the (now) head of the Air Cadet League of Canada (Worked with her for a WAA event in MT) I got a bit of a different perspective on how they do things. There are the all volunteer Air Cadet League of Canada sorts who do not directly do the training or whatnot, do not wear uniforms, and are otherwise purely a support/fundraising function. That's the ACLC. The Royal Canadian Air Cadets are the actually training folks and the cadets themselves. My understanding is you can't be an active member of both at the same time. The RCAC officers are no kidding commissioned officers in the ministry of defense who serve very much part time. They promote and are paid in a system that is similar to the RCAF but they are only paid for some of their time. (Encampments and the like.)

This system does provide a number of benefits but their is a no kidding wait list both for training and to become an officer in the RCAC. You can't just join up and help train or whatever, if you're a parent or whatnot you can join the ACLC and work to support the organization as a whole, but you won't be able to participate in the training.

Also, the RCAC (And similar outfits) are a lot more like JROTC than CAP. They have no operational mission and are 100% a cadet program. This again does provide some benefits, but also limits what they do.

That's one of the biggest fundamental differences between CAP and any other organization out there. CAP isn't a cadet or youth program. CAP has a cadet program. Fundamentally that is a pretty big difference. While the Cadet stuff is awesome and very popular among some of the senior officers in the USAF, where we really win points and the like is on the operational side of the house mixed in WITH the cadet program. It's the whole package, without one or the other the USAF very likely would be less inclined to care at all.

NIN

The fill I got from him on that, BTW, broke down like this:

He just go a brand spanking new building. About £300k in cost.  So did his mate at a nearby unit.

The way it gets funded is like this: Tax payer --> MoD --> RAF --> ACO --> Reserve Forces Cadet Association

So the RFCA is probably the blanket organisation that handles RAF (ATC) and Army Cadets in the UK, at the very least.

His "wing" has 35 squadrons. They don't all have buildings, some meet at TA facilities.   But they have ~$10-14 million in real estate just in his wing, and overall cadets get something like £130M from the public purse to fund/support about 1000 units.

(holy cow, £130M?)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.