If you were faced with a Form 2B...

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, April 07, 2012, 11:15:10 PM

What would you do?

Say "if you want a fight you've got it" and hire a lawyer, call elected officials, etc.
9 (14.5%)
Depends on what the charge is
29 (46.8%)
Say "it's not worth it just to be in CAP" and let your membership lapse
5 (8.1%)
Say "I've had enough" and tell the IG, Wing CC, etc. exactly what you think and leave
2 (3.2%)
Let "the system" take its course
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

FW

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on April 09, 2012, 01:45:49 AM
In my opinion, it is a real shame that the organization's corporate culture is such that new members know the form number to terminate membership before they know the form number to decorate a member for significant service.

In my  opinion, this has been a problem for ages. For example, the cadet that served as the recruiting office of the first unit I joined actually had the form number on an orientation phase quiz. Another example, I have been in the room when a commander has leveled the threat of termination against everyone if they did not comply with his instructions (In my opinion, a stellar example of how not to lead).

It has been my experience that the termination form and/ or its threatened use is a political weapon. If it was used correctly there would be no need for a MARB.

Although I agree with the above statement, I think it is a bit over the top.  Of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have been members of CAP over the years, there has been a very small fraction who actually were terminated from membership.  The "2b" has become the "monster under the bed".
There is always a need for a review of membership adverse actions.  We need a well trained leadership and a system of checks and balances.  An unbiased MARB and, an unpolitical IG system are critical parts of the puzzle to insure the process works.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FW on April 09, 2012, 02:43:42 AM
An unbiased MARB and, an unpolitical IG system are critical parts of the puzzle to insure the process works.

Sir, if those two ideas ever come to tangible operational fruition in CAP, please let me know.

For the record, I knew what the Form 2B was when I was still a SMWOG.  It was presented as "2B or not 2B," and "do not pass Go, do not collect $200."

The image that came to mind was from an old TV show...

Branded (in color)

It was presented to me in my first six months in CAP that a 2B was like getting a dishonourable discharge without ever having an Art. 32 hearing, much less a trial.

And I do know of at least one person who had the 2B axe fall on them...one day the person was a member of my squadron, and one day the person was "one of those you don't talk about."

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bflynn

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on April 09, 2012, 01:45:49 AM
In my opinion, it is a real shame that the organization's corporate culture is such that new members know the form number to terminate membership before they know the form number to decorate a member for significant service.

What IS the form to decorate a member for significant service?

abdsp51

airdad

An unbiased MARB and, an unpolitical IG system are critical parts of the puzzle to insure the process works.
Sir, if those two ideas ever come to tangible operational fruition in CAP, please let me know.

As the Wing IG, Captain, and on behalf of my IG staff, I take great umbrage at your suggestion that my office is politically biased.  While I understand that any system may be manipulated, I am certain that you cannot substantiate your surmise
Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

NCRblues

Quote from: airdad on April 11, 2012, 10:19:28 PM
As the Wing IG, Captain, and on behalf of my IG staff, I take great umbrage at your suggestion that my office is politically biased.  While I understand that any system may be manipulated, I am certain that you cannot substantiate your surmise

Yes, because that post was ALL about NY wing and NY wing alone. <- sarcasm

It is very well known that (mainly during the TP years) the IG system was used as a political arm to enforce TP's "rules". Is it still being used that way? Maybe, and I would argue in some wings and regions it COULD be, but no one was accusing one person or one wing (like you, and NY wing) of being politicized.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: airdad on April 11, 2012, 10:19:28 PM

Sir, I meant no offence to you or to any IG officer in particular, nor really to the office itself.

You and your staff may well have all the integrity that the office needs.  If so, hats off to you, and I hope it spreads from NY Wing to every Wing and Region in CAP, because the CAP needs more fair, apolitical IG officers.

However, I have seen IG's handle adverse personnel matters with everything ranging from indifference to forcing good people out of CAP (or they got disgusted and left).

If what I said sounds cynical, please note that I was a cynic long before I joined CAP.  My wife is an incurable optimist, so we make a good balance. ;)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bflynn

It's strange - the great leaders I've know have always considered firing someone (in this case a 2B) to be their own failure.  If you're a leader and the only way you can deal with someone is get rid of them, it's your leadership failure.  I agree with them.

Is there a record entry made for someone who initiates a 2B process or for the immediate leader?  Perhaps there should be if not.  Perhaps if the 2B process was considered negative for both parties, it would have a less negative view by members.

Major Lord

I think that anyone who gets involved in a contested 2B action knows that its like a fist-fight: everybody bleeds a little in the process, and if you are lucky, no one gets badly hurt or killed.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Private Investigator

The only 2B actions I am aware of was really serious stuff.

Now I have heard rumors from people about 2B actions from being inpolite or excessive sarcasm but I doubt I will ever be involved because I prevent misunderstandings from getting out of control. You have a problem with somebody work it out. Communications will resolve 98% of all 2B events.