Hypothetical SM to Cadet?

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 22, 2011, 01:34:23 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Since you can join as a Cadet through 18 Years, 364 days, would it be possible to sign on as a SM at 18, quit with a 2B at say 18 years 180 days, and reapply as a cadet?

I'm thinking no, but is there anything in the regulations that would forbid it?

Ned

Or try the economical route.  Join as a cadet and as soon as you show up in eservices, transfer to senior membership.  You'd get the full year of senior membership at cadet prices!

Майор Хаткевич

Ned,

I've considered that in my last year as a cadet. :P

SarDragon

Quote from: Ned on August 22, 2011, 02:15:01 AM
Or try the economical route.  Join as a cadet and as soon as you show up in eservices, transfer to senior membership.  You'd get the full year of senior membership at cadet prices!

We had someone do something like that, and I don't remember the timing, and he got a bill for the SM dues in the mail. So that tactic doesn't always work.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 22, 2011, 02:31:49 AM
Quote from: Ned on August 22, 2011, 02:15:01 AM

We had someone do something like that, and I don't remember the timing, and he got a bill for the SM dues in the mail. So that tactic doesn't always work.

Could it have been that they aged out in their last year? I was told that if I renewed as a cadet, and turned SM at 21, then I'd be billed the prorated time. Or something like that.

Then again, I renewed in May, was bumped to SM in August (at 20.5 Y.O.), and didn't get any extra charge.

a2capt

Nah, no one gets billed. Just like sponsor members becoming SM's. You just finish out your membership year. We typically tell cadets who are coming up on renewal and are going to switch/stay in the program, to renew if they can as cadet so they save a few bucks one more time. 

..and SM's too, if they are not sure, and start as sponsors, and get the bug to actually do something.

SarDragon

I saw the physical bill/notification/whatever you want to call it. They told him that he had to pay SM dues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Hmm.. I wonder if the circumstances were not the same. 'cause we've done it quite often, it's never backfired, and this was actually on the advice of NHQ.

SarDragon

I don't recall the specific circumstances, but he ended up having to pay SM dues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 22, 2011, 01:34:23 AM
Since you can join as a Cadet through 18 Years, 364 days, would it be possible to sign on as a SM at 18, quit with a 2B at say 18 years 180 days, and reapply as a cadet?

I'm thinking no, but is there anything in the regulations that would forbid it?
I would say no.

You need to look at the regulations about rejoining and breaks in service.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on August 22, 2011, 04:16:33 AM
Hmm.. I wonder if the circumstances were not the same. 'cause we've done it quite often, it's never backfired, and this was actually on the advice of NHQ.

Maybe it's your fault then.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I would stay as far away from a Form 2B for any reason as I could.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011