Attaching clasps to ribbons

Started by GaryVC, August 09, 2017, 01:39:37 PM

GaryVC

I am looking for suggestions for attaching clasps to ribbons. If you use the wires in the back they are difficult to move so it appears glue may be the best option. What kind of glue can you suggest?

AlphaSigOU

I recommend you read the pamphlet pinned at the top of this forum titled 'The Proper Wear of CAP Ribbons'. this has a tip on how to attach ribbon clasps.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

kwe1009

I remove the wire from the back and glue them on using white school glue.  I also put something kind of heavy on it like a hammer head while the glue dries.  You only need a small amount of glue and it dries clear so you don't have to worry if any seeps out.  DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE!  That will stain the ribbon unless you are extremely careful.

Eclipse

I thought glue was a good idea as well, at least 1/2 the time it will run through the grooves and ruin the ribbon.

Your best best is using the pins as they are designed, and buy extras.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

As a senior member who is at the stage where my ribbons are not going to change much, I invest once every 18 months or so in the Ultrathins.  I may be a clasp or two behind on some things but at the end of the day I don't lose any sleep over it and they look very nice.

winterg

Ultrathin will also update your rack if you send it in at a much cheaper cost than buying a new set when something changes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2017, 02:28:33 PM
I thought glue was a good idea as well, at least 1/2 the time it will run through the grooves and ruin the ribbon.

Your best best is using the pins as they are designed, and buy extras.

A small dab of white school glue applied with a toothpick is all that is needed to attach devices.  Since the glue dries clear it will not ruin the ribbon unless you use a lot.  I have been doing this for over 30 years so I have a ton of practice but it really is easy.  I do recommend that you practice on an unserviceable ribbon first just to be on the safe side.

SarDragon

If memory serves me correctly, I got my first clasp in 1966, for my Red Service ribbon. At that time, we wore the laminated plastic ribbons, so glue wasn't really an option. We drilled holes in our ribbons, and stuck the wires through after trimming the length to fit properly behind the ribbon.

After we changed to cloth ribbons, I still used the wires. I also did my Navy ribbons that way, and over all that time, have only had a couple of failures, primarily from defective clasps.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

Cutting the prongs off and gluing is the best means of adding devices to ribbons. I use a small drop of this stuff:

It is the perfect glue for this use. Dries completely clear, does not run, does not stain ribbons.

Do not use Krazy Glue or any other cyanoacrylate-base glue, even the gel variety.  Do not poke the prongs through the ribbon; you can always tell when someone has done this, their ribbons look like crap.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on August 09, 2017, 09:51:07 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I got my first clasp in 1966, for my Red Service ribbon. At that time, we wore the laminated plastic ribbons, so glue wasn't really an option. We drilled holes in our ribbons, and stuck the wires through after trimming the length to fit properly behind the ribbon.

After we changed to cloth ribbons, I still used the wires. I also did my Navy ribbons that way, and over all that time, have only had a couple of failures, primarily from defective clasps.

It was more likely the Red TRAINING Ribbon. Cadets weren't eligible for the Red Service Ribbon back then.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Certainly not the Red Training ribbon. New awards of those stopped in 1964, when the new program started.

After looking through the Morse tomes, I see that the Red Service ribbon (new version) was first authorized for cadets in 1970. So, my first clasp would still have been on that ribbon, in 1970, when I would have attached two. These days I wear a 45.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ozzy

If you are going to use the wire, use a pin or need to poke a hole and enlarge the hole in the ribbon first. That will help get the clasp in it easier and in the right position. I did it with the Army Honor Guard and I still do it today this way.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

GaryVC

Quote from: Mustang on August 10, 2017, 04:27:32 AM
Cutting the prongs off and gluing is the best means of adding devices to ribbons.

So how do you cut the prongs off so they are completely gone? Not left with little stubs.

Eclipse

You need some really good, fine-wire snips, and maybe a file (gently).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 08, 2017, 08:57:33 PM
You need some really good, fine-wire snips, and maybe a file (gently).

I just snip them off with a small set of cutters and then do three or four passes with a mill file and we're good.
A small drop of the thick super glue applied with a pin and you're done.

SarDragon

Actually, you can break off the prongs fairly easily. I have managed to do it unintentionally more than a few times. Grab the prongs with pliers or needle-nose, and pop the front off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CyBorgII

A little psst of Scotchgard on your ribbons will keep them cleaner and help them to last a fair bit longer without fraying as well.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

PHall

Quote from: CyBorgII on September 09, 2017, 02:59:55 PM
A little psst of Scotchgard on your ribbons will keep them cleaner and help them to last a fair bit longer without fraying as well.

My UltraThins don't fray at all. >:D

Paul Creed III

Quote from: PHall on September 10, 2017, 03:32:27 AM
Quote from: CyBorgII on September 09, 2017, 02:59:55 PM

My UltraThins don't fray at all. >:D

+1

I switched to UltraThins about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Yes, they cost a bit more for a brand-new rack but they look so much better than I could ever do myself.

My rack may be missing an attachment or three but the sharper look of them makes it very worth it to me.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Commo

+1

Now if only Ultrathins would fix their system for Army Reserve component ribbons using CAP precedence, I could be a happy CAmPer.  I emailed them again on this yesterday with step by step instructions to demonstrate... hopefully their IT guys can fix.

Commo