Main Menu

NGSAR '06

Started by ladyreferee, November 22, 2005, 10:11:11 PM

ladyreferee

Hello,
    Anyone here applying for the NGSAR this year?  What is to be expected with the experience? My son is trying to decide if this is something he's interested in so he needs some real comments about it - not just what is in CAP news.  Thanks!
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Horn229

I've been staffing the school since '02, what would you like to know?
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

ladyreferee

Thanks for asking!
:)
First of all, would you recommend NOT applying if you haven't ever been on a SAREX, having just completed your 101 card?
Second, would you say that having more experience doing ELT searches, SAREXs, bivouacs, tying knots, etc. would help and without this experience would get you extremely frustrated?  My son is anxious to get started learning all these things, but I'm thinking that having already done the items above would help him not only succeed but also allow him to focus on the more advanced ideas when he attends.  Sort of like attending an encampment when you are brand new, versus already having been a cadet for a while.
What experience would be beneficial before going to this (assuming he gets to)?

Horn229

No, I would not recommend not applying if he doesn't have any experience. Everyone will learn everything from scratch. There's about 30+ tasks that he'll need to get done by the end of the week (that is if he does the basic course and not the advanced), and it's farely easy to get done if he does 7-10 per day (for some this is easy to do, others it's they'll just need some more individualized work with thier team leader).

Prior experience is great, but not really needed, we teach the basics of GT, remember it's just getting him GTM level 3 which is all about learning how to use the L-Per, Compass, Stretcher and how to do Line Searches. The teams are small, usually 6-9 people per team, so he will be able to learn more from his Team Leader. Of course this is not to say that he should get some experience before attending.

I'd suggesting getting him his 24hr gear, and having go hike for a few hours in a state park somewhere. We don't do PT, but we do keep active with all the walking that we do each day. After a while he will be used to the weight of his gear, (average weight if about 20Lbs or so) and won't even notice he has it on. Also, another thing to do would be to make a shelter in the backyard and sleep in it. The key thing here is to be able to have it all set up in 15-20 minutes tops, and again have it down and packed away in 15-20 minutes.

Knowing how to use an L-Per and a compass is good, but we will make sure he knows how to use it, everyone will complete a compass course on their own, and a DF course on their own, with onlly their gear and sometimes an ISR. Oh, and don't let him over pack his gear, just bring what required and maybe some beef jerky or something similar. All the gear he brings he will carry, no one else will do it for him.

Also, with the boots, get at least two GOOD pairs of boots. I can guarantee you that at some point during the week, he'll either step in a puddle or be caught in the field during the rain. Nothing is more annoying than have to wear a wet pair a boots for two days, if he has a second pair of boots, he'll be able to fall back on the other. Also, wear two good pairs of socks, some say just wear one pair of thick socks, but that really doesn't work. If you wear two, the friction that causes blisters (foot/sock rubbing against the boot) will be obsorbed by the second pair of socks.

Anymore questions? :)

ladyreferee

24hr gear?  Is there a list for that?  I went to the national website, but it doesn't tell you what you need  ;D

Horn229

It's the first task in the Ground And Urban Direction Finding Team Task Book. Here's the link to it   http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_052704140516.pdf  The 72hr gear is not required for GTM 3, just for GTM 2, 1 and GTL, however at NGSAR he'll need the 72hr gear as well.