Advanced Promotion in the Military

Started by M.Glisson003, February 04, 2008, 04:41:08 AM

M.Glisson003

When I graduated from OS-V (Washington Wing Winter Encampment) as the Honor Cadet of the encampment I was told that I can recieve an advanced promotion in the military for that achievement.

Is this really true?

I mean, I joined the Marine Corps awhile ago and right now I am E-2. I got that from having almost 4 years in JROTC.

So could I get promoted to E-3 because of encampment?
Michael Glisson, C/CMSgt, CAP
McChord Composite Squadron

Eclipse

No. 

RealMilitary® eligibility for advanced grade based on the CAP cadet program is dependant on achievement of the Mitchel Award (c/2d Lt).

For the USAF, the highest bump you'll get is E-3, in the Army and Navy (as I understand), they may bump you to E-2.  The Marines do not currently recognize the Mitchell, specifically, for advanced grade, however they may confer some level of bump based on your participation in a "cadet style program".

All of this, however, is negotiated before entrance and conferred upon graduation from BMT, if you're already past that point, the boat has sailed.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Many Many Years Ago WIWAR (when I was a recruiter) you only could enlist in the Corps no higher than an E-2.  The trick is, to enter into Recruit Training as an E-2 as you are now, and be the best that you can and get a meritorious promotion to E-3. Though rare.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

M.Glisson003

How does one get meritoriously promoted in boot camp?
Michael Glisson, C/CMSgt, CAP
McChord Composite Squadron

Eclipse

And just to quote regs for fun:

Quote from: CAPR 52-16, Section 2-6, g6 http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503073142.pdf
(6) Special Benefits. Mitchell Award recipients are eligible to receive the grade of E-3 upon enlistment in the U.S. Air Force (see AFI 36-2002, Regular Air Force & Special Category Accessions, attachment 4). Mitchell Award recipients may also receive credit toward AFROTC's General Military Course (see AFROTCI 36-2011, Administration of Senior AFROTC Cadets). The service academies also look favorably upon cadets who have earned the Mitchell Award. Other benefits include eligibility for CAP scholarships (see chapter 4), and participation in Air Force Institute for Advanced Distributed Learning (AFIADL) programs (see www.cap.gov/pd for more information).

Quote from: AFI 36-2002,  Pg 39,  www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi36-2002.pdf
A4.1.5.5. Possess a Billy Mitchell, Amelia Earhart, or Carl Spaatz Award, or a letter from
CAP-USAF/TTHE, Maxwell AFB AL, certifying successful completion for the award, and is a
high school diploma graduate or higher, then grade is E-3 (A1C).

Among other things listed are Eagle Scout (E-2) & JROTC completion (E-3).

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Quote from: M.Glisson003 on February 04, 2008, 05:49:38 AM
How does one get meritoriously promoted in boot camp?

USUALLY and I emphasis USUALLY it is the Series Guide/Honor Grade that gets a meritorious promition in Recruit Training
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

You wont get E-3 out of Boot Camp unless your the Guide, Co. Honor Man, etc.  Just as the post above stated.  And I believe you have to go in as an E-2 first inorder to even get E-3.  I dont believe you can skip E-2.