What do encampments look for in cadet cadre

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, November 07, 2018, 06:21:44 PM

What is most important in applying for encampment cadet cadre?

Grade above SSgt
1 (10%)
More than 2 years experience
4 (40%)
Prior duty positions (either encampment or squadron)
5 (50%)
Being referred by other cadet staff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: November 22, 2018, 06:21:44 PM

TheSkyHornet

Tip:
Open up Word. Type out, just how you speak out loud, responses to interview questions. Not memorized nonsense answers. Explain who you are, what you've accomplished, and what you've learned along the way. Just type it informally for yourself. Put it aside for a couple of hours. Then read it (thoroughly). "Is this how I feel about myself? Does what I just said represent me?" Tweak and revise. Then take that blurb you wrote, and, alongside it, start typing out a formal, well-written essay version of it. Make a story of who you are and what you're seeking to gain from it all. Now build yourself a resume based on it.

I'm one that can read through the bull hockey on someone's resume or in an essay. I can tell if it's representing the person I'm talking to or reading about. Even if I'm incorrect, perception is reality. If what I'm reading doesn't sound honest, or it doesn't sound like it's heart-filled and true, then I'm going to discredit that person.

If you can't sell yourself to you, you can't sell yourself to others.

vesryn

Firstly, congratulations on trying to put yourself out there. Giving back to the cadet program is an important factor in the success of our program. Keep it up.

I won't comment on your resume and letter of intent, as I believe most of the regulars have already said as much useful information as there needs to be, and I don't want to beat that dead horse.

I was the Cadet Commander for the 2018 NYWG Encampment. While I did not personally select most of the 60+ positions on staff (that was left to my staff), I did give them some guidelines on selection. The selection process took place during the first staff workshop, on a weekend a couple months before the Encampment. From the moment potential cadre stepped on base, they were scrutinized. My preselected staff (DCC, XO, Squadron Commanders, some OICs) wrote pages upon pages of impressions on these cadets, even during "break time" and periods where they might not have expected to be evaluated. This allowed my upper echelon to determine true character, ability, and personality.

Here are a few things off the top of my head that we found most important.

• Maturity, maturity maturity.

• Cadets that did not display a consistent level of maturity and character where not selected for leadership roles such as Flight Sergeants, First Sergeants, or SET/TRNG.

• An important point that must be made here is the matter of age. There are an amazing amount of young cadets that are incredibly mature for their age. My Admin OIC was just 14, but her maturity, consistent results, and capability made her one of the most reliable and effective members of our Exec staff.
  • Experience

• Experience is an essential factor to any application. In 2018, NYWG had a very large percentage of "first year" staff members apply, and quite a few positions were made and lost by performance during previous experiences working Wreaths Across America, Airshows, Color Guards, home squadrons, etc.
    • As a proof that encampment experience isn't (and shouldn't!) be a defining factor in staff selection, my own Deputy Commander had never staffed an Encampment before. However, he had considerable experience with CAC and other events, and he absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I couldn't have chosen a better person to be c/DCC.
  • Referrals

• Get to know people in the area of where you're applying. If people know your name, know your abilities and know your work ethic, you are WAY more likely to be chosen for certain positions. Reputation is key, and so is socializing/networking. This applies in "real life" too, as I'm sure many of our delightful SMs can attest.

I may come back and add some more thoughts later, but keep in mind this is just a general list. Let me know if you have any questions.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

xray328

Most encampments/NCSA applications are requesting that you format your resume in accordance with Chapter 8 of "Learn to Lead" pages 176-178, follow the example there....

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Resume_36BA0A6C676FF.pdf

See also, page 14...

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_6032_SDA_2018_F36F151B306A5.pdf

And use "action" words...Led, Created, Trained, Supervised, etc.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: xray328 on November 29, 2018, 04:14:37 PM
Most encampments/NCSA applications are requesting that you format your resume in accordance with Chapter 8 of "Learn to Lead" pages 176-178, follow the example there....

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Resume_36BA0A6C676FF.pdf

See also, page 14...

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPP_6032_SDA_2018_F36F151B306A5.pdf

And use "action" words...Led, Created, Trained, Supervised, etc.

Are encampments less likely to choose a candidate if they don't follow the Chapter 8 "Learn to Lead resume format?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on December 01, 2018, 09:37:19 PM
Are encampments less likely to choose a candidate if they don't follow the Chapter 8 "Learn to Lead resume format?

The short answer is "yes", or "maybe" - it's a standard set within the curriculum, and provides for a clear
synopsis of relevent information.

With that said, there are probably ~48 encampments every year, with 48 different processes for cadre selection,
and with seniors changing around as well, little consistency year-over-year.

Generally sending something clear, concise, and which fits the indicated requirements is fine.

When in doubt, ask.

ProTip:  Don't assume one submitted for "X" activity(s) is sufficient for all of them.
One way to be put at the bottom of the pile is to send Activity X a resume that
refers to applying for Activity Y, which indicates that you couldn't be bothered to
review what you sent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2018, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on December 01, 2018, 09:37:19 PM

The short answer is "yes", or "maybe" - it's a standard set within the curriculum, and provides for a clear
synopsis of relevent information.

With that said, there are probably ~48 encampments every year, with 48 different processes for cadre selection,
and with seniors changing around as well, little consistency year-over-year.

Generally sending something clear, concise, and which fits the indicated requirements is fine.

When in doubt, ask.

ProTip:  Don't assume one submitted for "X" activity(s) is sufficient for all of them.
One way to be put at the bottom of the pile is to send Activity X a resume that
refers to applying for Activity Y, which indicates that you couldn't be bothered to
review what you sent.

Would this work? It has the same major information as the resume outlined in Learn to Lead
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

xray328

That's basically a member search report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: xray328 on December 01, 2018, 10:25:27 PM

So should I just add some of the information from the resume outline in Learn to Lead to make it look more like a resume and not a member search report?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

xray328

Why are you trying to recreate the wheel? Follow the example in learn to lead.  Your references are useless as well, who are those people and how do I contact them? Use a letter of recommendation if you need/are asked for that.

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on December 01, 2018, 10:25:27 PM

Agreed - some activities may well ask for an MSR as part of the package, but that's not a
resume.

Many cadets make this mistake and just provide a list of activities in chronological order,
relevent or not.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Look at the example provided and compare it to yours:

Obviously your "immediate objective" would be whatever job you are applying for at encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

I have the outline different because that resume is used for getting a job outside of CAP.

My resume is different because it has details relating to CAP only. Not for something outside of CAP

So wouldn't I use a different format because the one provided is for applying for a job?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

xray328

Keep in mind that these folks have never met you. Part of the resume is showing them who you are. If you don't have much to list how about things like your grades (shows you're a bright kid), do you play sports (shows you know how to part of a team)?  Maybe you've gotten an award at a CAP activity?  What positions have you served at your squadron? They can see your MSR, tell them the things they can't see on there.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: xray328 on December 01, 2018, 10:51:27 PM
Keep in mind that these folks have never met you. Part of the resume is showing them who you are. If you don't have much to list how about things like your grades (shows you're a bright kid), do you play sports (shows you know how to part of a team)?  Maybe you've gotten an award at a CAP activity?  What positions have you served at your squadron? They can see your MSR, tell them the things they can't see on there.

Isn't that the job of the Letter of Intent?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

About 2/3rds of the things that you have on your current document are irrelevant to an encampment job
and clearly just, in the words of the Honorable Judith Susan Sheindlin, "puffery".

Most would show up on an MSR if requested.

You >are< applying for a job, it's a CAP job, and you're sending this, generally, to people
you have never met and who don't know anything about you other then what you submit.

View what you send in that light.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

A letter of intent (generally) states what your applying for, how you heard about the position, what you hope to gain from it, and why you're a good fit for the position.

Color Guard Rifleman

How does a cadet find their MSR on eServices?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on December 01, 2018, 11:25:09 PM

The link is below your photo in your eservices personnel record.

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 01, 2018, 11:52:16 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on December 01, 2018, 11:25:09 PM

The link is below your photo in your eservices personnel record.

Where is the personnel record? Is it in the account area?
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"