Cadet Grooming Standards

Started by rebowman, December 16, 2005, 03:41:45 AM

rebowman

Are there any squadrons out there that have difficulties getting cadets to follow the grooming standards?  I have a few cadets that are very sharp cadets with the exception of grooming.  One refuses to shave his beard and 2 others really need a haircut.  They are beginning to get stuck with the nickname "shaggy".

What is the best way to handle this problem?  The threat of not getting promoted is not doing the trick.

2Lt Robin Law

afgeo4

Well...   As a former cadet programs officer I too have had a good deal of these "shaggy" issues.  Here's how I've dealt with it:

1.  Cadet, are you aware of the fact that you're growing facial hair?  Just to remind you, the regulations state that your beard must be shaven unless you can produce a doctor's note stating that you have a facial skin disorder that prevents you from shaving.  Until you do either one of those things, please come to meetings in appropriate civillian attire.

2. Cadet, are you aware of CAP uniform regulations concerning hair length and style?  Please get your hair cut before next meeting if you want to come in uniform.  Otherwise, please attend in civillian attire.

Remember, most cadets are in the program because they get to play "military".  It is not the grade that's attractive to them, it is the uniform.  The recognition of others as a member of the United States Military, which quite frankly they're not.  If you show them that they are welcomed to attend and participate, but not in uniform, you tell them that they are doing well in other aspects and just need to fix this one thing.  You tell them that you aren't being mean to them, but simply and objectively being a supervisor.
GEORGE LURYE

Eclipse

I would put forward that these are not "sharp cadets" if they are slacking on grooming, and the unit CC is doing them a disservice not pointing that out.

If beards are an issue, I'm guessing they are older, which means that they are likely
setting a tone for the younger cadets that you don't want.

A major part of the program is >uniformity< to help cadets learn to become part of something bigger than themselves.   "Doing your own thing" may be great at the skate park, it doesn't belong in CAP.

While the home unit might not think its a big deal, as soon as they want to get involved in NCSA's or even encampments they will have a rude awakening.

Outside of an >approved< waiver situation, they'd be in civilian dress until they shape up.  The uniform's a privilege, not a right.  I guarantee that statement will withstand anybody's mom or dad making noise about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

rebowman

The Unit Commander has addressed the issue and the cadets out of regulation have not been wearing the uniform.  They are abiding by our requests to not show up in uniform if they are not going to follow proper grooming standards but it seems like they have no intent on following regs.  The issue has been addressed several times -- at least once weekly. The beard is his 'pride & joy'.  The cadets that are not following grooming standards are older cadets and definetly not setting a good example for the younger cadets, new cadets, and prospective cadets.  I don't know what else to do.

2Lt Robin Law

shorning

I'm just going off the top of my noggin' here, but wear of the uniform isn't optional for cadets.  When wearing the uniform one is required to follow all standards for dress and appearance (including grooming standards).  I would have a heart-to-heart then the folks involved.  If they choose not to play by the rules, I'd show them the door.  Membership is a privilege, not a right.

Eclipse

Ah, 2B or not 2B, that is the question!

The only leverage we have as commanders is with members, cadet and senior, who are looking to progress and participate, and therefore are willing to get and stay with the program.

An older cadet, not interested in his own progression, and not following the regs is a
detriment to the organization and not garnering the simple values of leadership / followership CAP is all about.

What he >is< doing is showing your members disrespect in that his love of his beard is more valuable to him than CAP.

This would make an excellant life lesson - follow the rules, >ALL< the rules, or join some other organiztion. Lay it out, and let him choose.  Then stand by the decision.

You're either outstanding or outprocessing...

"That Others May Zoom"

c/LTCOLorbust

If they are looking for something else then I hear and see, that the JROTC program at the schools doesn't have very high grooming standards.

I have had some of these problems my self and when I couldn't talk some since into the cadet I had to go to a higher force say his or her parent, once I talked with them I had the problem fixed. Most parents don't know the regs and some parents even pay to have their kid in the program so, all you have to do is put it together.

You need to let these 2 or 3 cadets know they are role models and in the eye of the younger cadets all the time.. shape up or ship out.
1Lt. Joshua M. Bergland
Yakima Composite SQ.
WA Wing

MIKE

Some reg and manual cites to throw out there:

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-3. c. 2) The proper wear of the uniform is outlined in CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual. Cadets will wear the
uniform properly as part of their leadership training.

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-6. a. Cadets will not wear the CAP uniform unless they fully comply with CAP dress and grooming standards. Full
compliance is required before Achievement 1 is completed.

CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1. states that members will wear the CAP Uniform while "participating in or conducting the cadet program".

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 1-2.NOTES: 2. Commanders do not have the authority to waive appearance and grooming standards.

Never understood why CAPM 39-1 Attachment 2 had different standards for male seniors and cadets with regard to wear of sideburns, but just noticed that Table 1-2. does not note this difference.  Mustaches on male cadets while authorized is just weird though IMO.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on December 16, 2005, 07:31:49 PM
Never understood why CAPM 39-1 Attachment 2 had different standards for male seniors and cadets with regard to wear of sideburns, but just noticed that Table 1-2. does not note this difference.  Mustaches on male cadets while authorized is just weird though IMO.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Table 1-2, Note 11. The items listed represent the most common appearance issues.

That, to me, covers the apparent variance between the Table 1 and Appendix 2.

I agree on the cadet moustache issue. I generally discourage them unless they look like more than 17 hairs growing on the upper lip, which isn't very often. I was in my early 20s before I could grow something respectable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Quote from: shorning on December 16, 2005, 02:34:00 PM
I'm just going off the top of my noggin' here, but wear of the uniform isn't optional for cadets.  When wearing the uniform one is required to follow all standards for dress and appearance (including grooming standards).  I would have a heart-to-heart then the folks involved.  If they choose not to play by the rules, I'd show them the door.  Membership is a privilege, not a right.

I agree.  It is time these cadets learned one of life's truths, life is full of choices, not all of them are pleasent.  They have to make a choice.