Airborne Photographer

Started by Ricochet13, April 14, 2008, 10:00:33 PM

Ricochet13

I noted in the NIMS Training Memo dated April 2008, that an ES qualification for Airborne Photographer is listed in ATTACHMENT ONE - NIMS TRAINING COMPLIANCE CHART.  Does anyone have a SQTR for this ES qualification which they could share.  As far as I can tell, this qualification is authorized at the wing level, not national.

davidsinn

It hasn't been authorized yet. It's in the draft 60-3. It should be coming out soon.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Tubacap

Is this an extension of the SDIS Operator?  Are the requirements in 60-3?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Ricochet13

Does anyone have an advance copy of the Airborne photographer Task Guide or SQTR?  Would like to look as we have several members in two squadron who are very interested in pursuing this.  I'd like to give them a chance to see what's coming.  Hope it doesn't require pre-qualification in SDIS.

JayT

I've always felt that these skills should be part of the MS and MO rating.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on April 15, 2008, 02:24:29 PM

MS Should be the pre-req, but Photo Recon Officer should be a separate rating.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2008, 02:27:01 PM
Quote from: JThemann on April 15, 2008, 02:24:29 PM

MS Should be the pre-req, but Photo Recon Officer should be a separate rating.

Assuming that national is gonna use the training syllabus that I was taught back in Nov, then MS is a pre req. Mostly though, the quals are knowing how to work a camera and take decent photographs. I'll have to try and dig up the training cd, there were SQTRs for photographer/videographer and a mission staff position that processes and transmits the photos from mission base to the customer.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

Photo Recon Officer?  Something tells me the name is cooler than the job.

JayT

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 15, 2008, 03:22:39 PM

Sounds like what I already do on air crew........snap pictures out of the side of a Cessna and log them.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on April 15, 2008, 06:36:21 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 15, 2008, 03:22:39 PM

Sounds like what I already do on air crew........snap pictures out of the side of a Cessna and log them.

At the most basic level, that's what you're doing.  Just as all a Ground Team does is walk around looking for lost stuff, all mission pilots do is fly a plane, and all a comm guy does is talk on the radio.

But to be consistently successful at these things requires training, reasonable expectations, and practice.

Taking a photo of a still object on a sunny day with no pressure of performance is a skill some people never master - expecting them to be handed a camera on the way to the plane, especially when you consider that many scanners are treated like ballast to start with, is not reasonable or fair.

Its about time we started setting expectations and standards for a mission we have been pushing as a "marquee ability" for 5+ years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Frenchie

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2008, 07:38:58 PM
Taking a photo of a still object on a sunny day with no pressure of performance is a skill some people never master - expecting them to be handed a camera on the way to the plane, especially when you consider that many scanners are treated like ballast to start with, is not reasonable or fair.

The 182 lands much better with some ballast in the back seat.  >:D

BigMojo

Photography is like <CENSORED>.

Everyone can do it as long as the equipment is functional, but only a fraction are really good at it, and fewer still good enough to get paid very well to do it.

I like the idea...A quality picture by someone that has the training and skills is monumentally more useful than a point-n-pray out the back window.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Psicorp

I've been wondering when National was going to set up an actual training regiment for this.  The ability to do aerial photography makes us a great asset, but you're right, the pictures are only going to be as good as the training/talent of the lifeform behind the camera.

I recently aquired a Canon S5 IS and have been practicing with RoboGeo (ground photos only at this point) and am really interested in getting more air time to practice.   I haven't worked with the SDIS system yet.

Photo Recon Officer, huh?  Do we get "Recon" tabs with that?  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Psicorp on April 16, 2008, 03:42:09 PM
Do we get "Recon" tabs with that?  ;D

But can only be worn on AF style uniforms when the moon is full and the sun is directly overhead and all four seats in the 172 are filled.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

jimmydeanno

Sure, but it would have to be lower precedence than the HMRS tab because you wouldn't be a real recon guy  ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

The thing is that taking a picture isn't that hard and there is absolutely no reason to track it by 101 card.

Why?  Because the vast majority of problems associated with aerial photography missions do not relate to the actuall photography skills of the person doing the work.

The main problems relate to trying to use a camera that you are not familiar with and not recording photos properly.

The first problem can't be solved by an ES qual since cameras vary widely across CAP and most of the time a scanner is going to be handed a camera on the tarmac and be told to make the best of it.  They may train with an actual CAP camera, but they may or may not ever actually use it.

The second problem is really an Observer issue.  A photographer rarely has the time to record photos and the Observer needs to be doing that paperwork while the photographer is looking out the plane. 

So, I predict that this ES qual will be roundly ignored and whatever Scanner or Observer is handy will be given a camera and be told to take pictures. 

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on April 16, 2008, 08:02:03 PM
The thing is that taking a picture isn't that hard and there is absolutely no reason to track it by 101 card.

Why?  Because the vast majority of problems associated with aerial photography missions do not relate to the actuall photography skills of the person doing the work.

The main problems relate to trying to use a camera that you are not familiar with and not recording photos properly.

The first problem can't be solved by an ES qual since cameras vary widely across CAP and most of the time a scanner is going to be handed a camera on the tarmac and be told to make the best of it.  They may train with an actual CAP camera, but they may or may not ever actually use it.

The second problem is really an Observer issue.  A photographer rarely has the time to record photos and the Observer needs to be doing that paperwork while the photographer is looking out the plane. 

So, I predict that this ES qual will be roundly ignored and whatever Scanner or Observer is handy will be given a camera and be told to take pictures. 

Actually, not so much. There is a lot more to taking a quality photo that the customer actually wants than just point and click. Also, a large part of the problem comes from the scanner not knowing how to get the pilot to line up the aircraft for a good shot. This specialty is intended to help solve these issues.

Also, it's my understanding that in Texas at least, most of the photo recon missions from the EOC will only be flown by people with this qualification. So if you want the missions, you have to get the training.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

yes, it is more than point and shoot, but we're really just talking about a task rather than a position.  No need to make our scanners jump through even more hoops to maintain an unneeded slot on their 101 card.  Just have it be a task or two within what they're already expected to do.  Less to keep track of that way. 

Eclipse

I disagree, this needs to be a specifically identified position, mandating additional training and sorties.

we need to separate the "look out the window guys" from those who have chosen to take the time and learn how to take, process and use aerial photos.

As someone who has invested a lot of time and effort training myself, building a training curriculum, and flying real-world, successful missions, I can speak from experience that the average 2-missions a year scanner is as likely to take a photo of his own eye, or the curvature of the earth return anything useful.

Its like anything else, you can just do it, or you can do it right.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I look at it like the SDIS qualification which has been mostly a failure and ignored in our Wing. 

This is a task that every single scanner needs to know how to do since it is arguably a more important mission to CAP than looking out the window for broken airplanes.  I'm willing to be that the number of aerial photography sorties CAP does is approaching, if not already higher, than those looking for mission airplanes, which is mostly what we train our scanners to do. 

Why not up the capabilities of this position overall rather than coming up with a whole new system for something which isn't terribly difficult. 

davidsinn

Here in INWG we are there already. We have 3 times as many photo recce sorties this year as we do missing aircraft sorties. We have flown 2 different missions for INDHS for the flooding this winter.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

magnum

I suppose it isn't to hard to get a marginally useful picture, but I got a 'decent' camera (nikon d40x) last summer, and after literally thousands of shots I'm only starting to feel I'm getting the hang of it - and that's under ideal conditions. 

I'd love to see a full weekend course in 'photo recon' - not limited to the buttons on the camera, but discussing tips for:
what to take pictures of
when to zoom close vs wide angle
shooting on cardinal headings and including landmarks
getting the plane optimally aligned for lighting, wind, glare (I've had some success with a polarizing filter)
minimized obstructions (not shooting the strut or landing gear)
slipping the plane to maximize the view - without making the scanner puke
tips for taking notes
options for cockpit intercom recorders instead of (in addition to?) written notes
discussions of jpg compression vs raw
photo editing with photoshop (expensive standard) or gimp (free, less standard) to optimize the images - crop, zoom, text notes, circles and arrows
geotagging (robogeo - integrating pictures, lat/longs, and audio notes)
embedding lat/longs and other info into the photos - both in-frame and as meta-data
what information to include - lat/long, mission number, altitude, airspeed, estimated lat/long of the target in the photo - all can be included reasonably automatically in robogeo)
tips for google maps / google earth / powerpoint integration, coordination of hand-off to the client
problems with attempting to email lots of huge pictures
online photo sites (picasa) and security implications
USB sticks, memory cards / burning to CD / DVD and physically handing off
discussions of who 'owns' the pictures and what can be done with copies of them / copyright / FOUO implications
AND how to do all this QUICKLY so the information isn't stale before the client gets it.

It's a complicated business, and is a challenge to do REALLY WELL.  It's one that I hope to someday be very good at, and I'd love to be able to participate in a class that helps get me there - or eventually lead a class that helps get others there, too.  It makes sense to me that someone that puts in the effort to master this skillset should have a means of being recognized and given priority on missions that call for it - although I agree that it would be a waste to make EVERYONE do it. 

It's the sort of stuff that will make the difference of a client wanting to continue using our services, and the CAP continuing to be relevant.

ch

jeders

Quote from: magnum on April 25, 2008, 07:55:43 PM
I suppose it isn't to hard to get a marginally useful picture, but I got a 'decent' camera (nikon d40x) last summer, and after literally thousands of shots I'm only starting to feel I'm getting the hang of it - and that's under ideal conditions. 

I'd love to see a full weekend course in 'photo recon' - not limited to the buttons on the camera, but discussing tips for:
what to take pictures of
when to zoom close vs wide angle
shooting on cardinal headings and including landmarks
getting the plane optimally aligned for lighting, wind, glare (I've had some success with a polarizing filter)
minimized obstructions (not shooting the strut or landing gear)
tips for taking notes
options for cockpit intercom recorders instead of (in addition to?) written notes
photo editing with photoshop (expensive standard) or gimp (free, less standard) to optimize the images - crop, zoom, text notes, circles and arrows
geotagging (robogeo - integrating pictures, lat/longs, and audio notes)
embedding lat/longs and other info into the photos - both in-frame and as meta-data
what information to include - lat/long, mission number, altitude, airspeed, estimated lat/long of the target in the photo - all can be included reasonably automatically in robogeo)
tips for google maps / google earth / powerpoint integration, coordination of hand-off to the client
online photo sites (picasa) and security implications
discussions of who 'owns' the pictures and what can be done with copies of them / copyright / FOUO implications
AND how to do all this QUICKLY so the information isn't stale before the client gets it.

It's a complicated business, and is a challenge to do REALLY WELL.  It's one that I hope to someday be very good at, and I'd love to be able to participate in a class that helps get me there - or eventually lead a class that helps get others there, too.  It makes sense to me that someone that puts in the effort to master this skillset should have a means of being recognized and given priority on missions that call for it - although I agree that it would be a waste to make EVERYONE do it. 

It's the sort of stuff that will make the difference of a client wanting to continue using our services, and the CAP continuing to be relevant.

ch

And just about all of that is included in the reference text.

Duke Dillio

I must be way off cuz I thought they were talking about something like this:

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on April 16, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

But can only be worn on AF style uniforms when the moon is full and the sun is directly overhead and all four seats in the 172 are filled.

I'd pay money to see a CAP Cessna "full" With the exception of cadink O-flights Ive never seen it done.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

Quote from: magnum on April 25, 2008, 07:55:43 PM
After spending all the last two weekends staring through a D100 in the back seat of a 182 in a tight bank, I've learned that dramamine is my friend
We just use high-quality JPGs. It helps if we had two cards and a card-reader for the camer so we could download pics while shooting the next series
Quotephoto editing with photoshop (expensive standard) or gimp (free, less standard) to optimize the images - crop, zoom, text notes, circles and arrows
Just don't forget to retain a complete unedited copy of each photo that hasn't been compressed and re-compressed or altered in any other way. I always work from a backup copy of the original folder.
Google earth works great! When you have to shoot certain buildings in high-res, it helps to have a positive visual ID on the target instead of just coordinates
FTP works well for this if you have enough space and bandwidth. Fortunately, I live 3 blocks from our most recent customer, so delivering 15GB of pics on DVD was even easier
We came out and asked the customer if we could show the pics to other agencies with similar interests and got permission to use them as we saw fit...will look great in our "work sample portfolio"
QuoteAND how to do all this QUICKLY so the information isn't stale before the client gets it.
Get an MOU BEFORE it's needed, not after the customer approaches you.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

BigMojo

Now, if the powers that would realize that the D100 is now "antiquated"...

Stepping up the camera gear would be a major improvement, I'd suggest the D200, but that's now been retired for the D300, The D300 has better and faster dynamic focusing, better image compression, a more precise sensor (CMOS), monumentally faster in capturing consecutive images and writes to the card about 5 times faster than the D100...and that's just off the top of my head. I shot the D100 up until 2 years ago, shoot a D200, and I'm going to retire that to the back-up role for the D300 in the near future.

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

JoeTomasone

Quote from: BigMojo on April 28, 2008, 12:46:34 PM

Stepping up the camera gear would be a major improvement

Yeah, a good Canon would certainly improve things.   >:D

</Elitist Snob>

BigMojo

Why would we want to fly with a photocopier on-board? The planes are small enough and crew is large enough as is! That's what Kinko's is for!

[/sarcasm and topic drift]
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

floridacyclist

I would think that as long as the D100 is good enough to deliver the goods, there's no reason to spend a ton more money on a newer camera unless the current one is due for retirement. Yes, if htey were to have to buy a new camera, I could see going to the newer model, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Flip side is if they want to retire the D100, I'll take it as soon as it is up for sale. It takes much better pictures than the best consumer camera I've seen (especially with a decent Nikkor lens) and is simple and fast. Even the owner of the FBO still uses his D100 for his commercial aerial work.

I can think of a lot of other things to spend a couple grand on than a new camera when the old one is working just fine....like cadet travel and scholarships.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

RiverAux

Though not a camera expert, I think we're reaching a point where very reasonably priced digital cameras have all the features that we need for most of our work. 

Ricochet13

Hey!  Great comments from everyone!  Except maybe for the "airborne Canon copier". ;D

Surprised no one mentioned jump training and wings for anyone "Airborne" qualified! ;D

What I'm looking for is a teaching reference or even a "field expedient" SQTR for Airborne Photographer before we go ahead and "reinvent the wheel". 

If no one has that, we'll set something up to train our squadron.  Just wanted to check first.

RiverAux

You might also want to look at the aerial photography and damage assessment training materials on the AR Wing page http://www.arwingcap.org/ES.htm

Ricochet13

Thanks!  I'll check it out.

flyerthom

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 28, 2008, 02:52:06 PM

Stepping up the camera gear would be a major improvement

Yeah, a good Canon would certainly improve things.   >:D

</Elitist Snob>

TC

Duke Dillio

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Ricochet13

Ranger75

Yesterday, I participated in the wing's bi-annual USAF Observed SAREX.  I came away from the exercise with my own observation that an area requiring significant attention in our wing ES training program relates to executing aerial imagery missions.  The scenario we exercised called for a significant number of aerial assessment and imagery sorties being tasked in the wake of the passage of a major hurricane.  It was not uncommon for an aircrew to report to the PSC for their debrief with camera in-hand with in excess of a hundred images and several loose pieces of paper serving as a photo log.  Dropping the images into a computer for processing and final dissemination to the requesting agency was a muddle.  It is clear we need to define in far greater detail our expectations for the aircrews during the conduct of such tasks and, even more so, assigning responsibility within the ICP to complete the process and close out the task with the external consumer.

Earlier in this thread there was a brief discussion of a future SQTR.  Others spoke about training materials used at the local level.  Rather than starting from scratch to address the need, I was hoping to capitalize on the work previously done by others.  So, this is a call for whatever materials might be out there.  I'm looking for wing-level guidance (orders/plans, forms, SOPs, POIs, etc.) to materials used by the individual crewmember (checklist, photo logs, etc.)  If there is anything web-based, I'd appreciate an address.  Does anyone have something that could help?

RiverAux

Ranger, there is one from AR cited earlier in this thread.

I couldn't agree more.  However, almost as important as having the aircrew know how to keep track of what they're photograhing, is having a dedicated person at mission base ready to use their sheets and raw images and get them in whatever shape the customer wants them in.  You can't expect the aircrew to do that as it might take 30 minutes or an hour or more to properly process photos from a sortie.  Its more important to get the aircrew back in the air. 

I'd favor some sort of "Imagery Specialist" SQTR.  I'm not quite as hyped about the airborne photographer SQTR. 

Short Field

^^^ You need more crews!!! 

Letting the crew just drop off their photos and logs is a sure path to poor photos and illegible logs.  Dumping it on mission base staff is not the answer.  AFTER the aircrew has reveiwed the photos and provided a log in whatever format needed by the customer, then the mission base staff reformat the photos and send them to the customer.  Sorry but I have see too many illegible logs with missing data and "unique" abbrievations.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

I don't think anyone is saying just drop the stuff off.  In fact, the most imporant part of having someone on base staff that knows how to do this stuff is to review that information before the aircrew leaves to make sure they have what is needed and to hold their feet to the fire if they don't.  The regular debriefer may or may not know this angle. 

Eclipse

The last two real missions I've flown had the customer in the aircraft with us.

In one case, I gave him a CD with his photos on it (about 250 pics) before he got out of the airplane, the other time we did it back at the FBO.  These were one-sortie "real-world" situations with very specific mission objectives and coverage areas.

I then posted a whole bunch of photos in WMIRS as soon as I got somewhere with decent internet.

I have flown way too many training missions where the base staff never even looks at the pics and/or the aircrew is never given any feedback on the mission effectiveness from the standpoint of the customer (rarely is CAP the real customer in a photo sortie).

This gets back to our people understanding that the mission is bringing usable pics back to the customer, not flying the airplane.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ranger75

All  --  Thanks - I must have overlooked the AR POI when I reviewed the thread.  It will serve well as the basis for developing our own aircrew presentation.  I'm still looking for how to organize the process within the ICP.  I see it taking place within the Plans Section as an adjunct of the debriefing process.  Are there differing opinions on where this responsibility should rest, any tricks to processing the images and moving them expeditiously to the customer?    

RiverAux

I think it works best under Plans, but could see it legitimately being placed in different areas as well. 

Every once in a while we do have those missions where they just want a whole bunch of photos and we could get away with just giving them a few hundred and not worry about the other stuff (location, target name, etc.).  However, I think it is up to CAP to go the extra mile in those situations and show them just what we can do.  Otherwise, we aren't any better than any other yahoo with a plane and a camera.  Now, if they want to ride along and take the photos themselves, they can do that however they want. 

Pumbaa

I posted in another thread about "GeoTagging" images. 

I am out 2-3 times a week doing various missions....

I run a Garmin GPS and it records my location every few seconds.  I shoot a Canon 20D, generally I find my 28 to 105 mm zoom works well between 1 and 2k AGL. (I can shoot at 3k also...  I do have a 210 zoom but it is big.

After downloading the images and GPS file, I run them through software that matches time stamps and then tags the EXIF file with the Lat/ long and Alt.  I then can use google earth to map the images out.

I am playing around experimenting...
I am now working on tethering my camera to a laptop.  As I shoot the image is downloaded to the Laptop and it goes into a folder that is automatically created:  "CAP MISSION TYPE Year-Month- Day", each image is tagged the same way but also adds the image number to it.

I will also have my GPS hooked to the computer as well thus everything is running through it.  My goal is to then automate the GeoTag.  If I can get a cellphone network card I will then set it up to download reduced sized images to a secure server/ website.  This way folks at the base on the ground can also look at the images.

Overall this should be fairly easy using COTS, with little or no cost.

I have the camera tethered and working, I have the GPS reading live into the laptop too.  Next to geotag automatically.

Now there are some secrets to shooting aerials without a gyro stabilizer. 

First try not to have your body make contact with the plane.  Just your butt in the seat.  Open the window and shoot out the window but keep your lens out of the slip stream.  Arms off the window sill.. The faster the shutter speed the better.  I shoot manual settings at 1/2000 most of the time. 400 ISO.

Another trick is to add weight to your system.  Get a weight.. a car body-shop workers hammer works well.  It's a couple of lbs and fits in the palm nice.  get rid of the handle, Drill in a bolt that will fit the tripod mount on the bottom and screw the camera to it.  The extra weight will stabilize the Camera.

I find aerial photography is more of an art then a learned skill.  but then again this comes from a photographer (pro) of 30+ years.

BuckeyeDEJ

Stepping up the camera gear would be a major improvement, I'd suggest the D200, but that's now been retired for the D300, The D300 has better and faster dynamic focusing, better image compression, a more precise sensor (CMOS), monumentally faster in capturing consecutive images and writes to the card about 5 times faster than the D100...and that's just off the top of my head. I shot the D100 up until 2 years ago, shoot a D200, and I'm going to retire that to the back-up role for the D300 in the near future.

Those are nice. Many newspapers (including mine) still use a D100, though, as a backup camera to their D2s, whichever version of the 2 they use. Some of that is because of budgeting, but some of it is 'if it ain't broke.'

Unless you plan to fly short of Mach 1 about 1,000 feet over a target, you don't need a rapid-fire shutter in CAP. The 100 can fire more than fast enough for CAP aerial recon.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

desertengineer1

Quote from: RiverAux on April 16, 2008, 08:02:03 PM

River, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the skills part.  A good photographer needs to know photo basics, in addition to some advanced knowledge specific to airborne work.  They need to know the equipment, be able to adjust settings quickly, and espesially be able to troubleshoot when required.  Operators need to be familiar with atmospheric effects, shooting angles, and how they relate to the time of day.  They also need to be comfortable with computer hardware and software.

I was lucky to have a little professional photo experiance from the college days.  Even then, I wasn't fully prepared for some of what we do.  Imagery continues to be a high priority product for us, but (until now) has remained either a "point and shoot" activity, or one that only a few "well seasoned" experts have down as a techical art.

We've needed to formalize a good training curriculum and task base for a while now, and I'm really glad to see it happen.

desertengineer1

Quote from: 1st Lt FAT and FUZZY on July 31, 2008, 11:48:36 PM
I posted in another thread about "GeoTagging" images. 

I am out 2-3 times a week doing various missions....

I run a Garmin GPS and it records my location every few seconds.  I shoot a Canon 20D, generally I find my 28 to 105 mm zoom works well between 1 and 2k AGL. (I can shoot at 3k also...  I do have a 210 zoom but it is big.

After downloading the images and GPS file, I run them through software that matches time stamps and then tags the EXIF file with the Lat/ long and Alt.  I then can use google earth to map the images out.

I am playing around experimenting...
I am now working on tethering my camera to a laptop.  As I shoot the image is downloaded to the Laptop and it goes into a folder that is automatically created:  "CAP MISSION TYPE Year-Month- Day", each image is tagged the same way but also adds the image number to it.

I will also have my GPS hooked to the computer as well thus everything is running through it.  My goal is to then automate the GeoTag.  If I can get a cellphone network card I will then set it up to download reduced sized images to a secure server/ website.  This way folks at the base on the ground can also look at the images.

Overall this should be fairly easy using COTS, with little or no cost.

I have the camera tethered and working, I have the GPS reading live into the laptop too.  Next to geotag automatically.

Now there are some secrets to shooting aerials without a gyro stabilizer. 

First try not to have your body make contact with the plane.  Just your butt in the seat.  Open the window and shoot out the window but keep your lens out of the slip stream.  Arms off the window sill.. The faster the shutter speed the better.  I shoot manual settings at 1/2000 most of the time. 400 ISO.

Another trick is to add weight to your system.  Get a weight.. a car body-shop workers hammer works well.  It's a couple of lbs and fits in the palm nice.  get rid of the handle, Drill in a bolt that will fit the tripod mount on the bottom and screw the camera to it.  The extra weight will stabilize the Camera.

I find aerial photography is more of an art then a learned skill.  but then again this comes from a photographer (pro) of 30+ years.

Wow.  I am envious!

A couple of things to add from me..

1.  Don't be afraid to bracket two or three shots at different camera settings.  Depending on the sun angle, a slight under or overexposure is advantageous.  I use shutter setting to lock the exposure time, and then let the F-stop adjust accordingly.  You can bracket up or down by changing the speed, or bumping the ISO.

2.  When doing multiple missions, take a shot of the pilots on takeoff and landing with the runway in view.  Aside from the cool factor, this will mark mission milestones in the image series, really helping you when you sit down to decypher the notes.

3.  Micro$oft Picture manager is a really powerful tool post-flight.  You can export smaller sizes of JPG files for time critical email, bandwidth limited emails.  Auto image can also do wonders for images that moght otherwise be lost.

4.  Know the golden angles for the best shots, at the particular time of day.  Into the sun will give you too much haze.  90 degrees offf the sun with a polarizer can also be bad. 

5.  If you zoom, take a quick wide angle shot beforehand.  It will provide a reference to the zoomed image with roads, towns, rivers, or lakes.

Just a couple of quick thoughts...

Frenchie

Before they update the D100, the more pressing need is to update SDIS.  With its dial-up speeds to transfer images, its just to slow to be of much practical use.  I would think there has to be satellite technologies which are faster, but I don't know if our existing sat-phones would support such a thing.

RiverAux

Last I heard they've stopped paying for the cell phone service from the airplanes, so I assumed SDIS is now dead. 

RiverAux

Quote2.  When doing multiple missions, take a shot of the pilots on takeoff and landing with the runway in view.  Aside from the cool factor, this will mark mission milestones in the image series, really helping you when you sit down to decypher the notes.

Between targets consider taking a photo of the GPS reading on instrument panel.  Helps keep them separate while at the same time serving as a check on your Observer's record keeping ability.

Pumbaa

Funny.  I was talking to one of our young engineers today.  For his engineering leadership project they designed a communications system for balloon that broke the worlds balloon (amateur) height record.  On board was GPS, and a live digital photo link and other bells and whistles.

We were discussing my idea of shooting a tethered camera and downlinking the images to a terra based server live.  Thus a ground team could view the images within moments. There is no emailing, etc.  As the image comes from the camera to the laptop, it is FTP'd to the secure terra server.  being that we would be using a highspeed link a full 8 m pixel image would download in less than a minute.

We discussed using satellite transmission (expensive), 900 MhZ (Line of sight), and then high speed cell network.  (doable).

I am working on my project now and I am going to use LINUX as the operating system to keep costs down.  One thing I am doing is going to use one of the newer small, inexpensive laptops that does not have a mechanical hard drive as I need to be aware of vibration.

I suppose I am basically working on a system.. Hopefully better than SDIS.  Again I am using all COTS and I am trying to keep it below $1000 price bogey, for the entire system, and YES that does  include the laptop and camera.

Back on topic when I am shooting missions I also shoot the airplane panel as a separator.   being that I am geotagging my images through my Garmin, there is no need to manually log each shot.  I orientate my GPS as the same direction as my camera. This way the general direction is tagged on each image.  I am also within a few degrees if I want to get real accurate.

desertengineer1

Quote from: RiverAux on August 04, 2008, 09:05:04 PM
Quote2.  When doing multiple missions, take a shot of the pilots on takeoff and landing with the runway in view.  Aside from the cool factor, this will mark mission milestones in the image series, really helping you when you sit down to decypher the notes.

Between targets consider taking a photo of the GPS reading on instrument panel.  Helps keep them separate while at the same time serving as a check on your Observer's record keeping ability.

Good one.  I like!

Frenchie

Quote from: RiverAux on August 04, 2008, 09:05:04 PM

This is a good idea, but one problem on the G1000 is that in order to read the GPS coordinates, you have to put the MFD on the GPS page which renders the MFD worthless for anything else.  I have a portable GPS I can use for that, which should work well.

RiverAux

Good point, I was thinking of the other models.  But, you still can take an interior shot to serve as a break between targets. 

exarmyguard

any updates on the airborne photgrapher track?  I'd like to get involved with it.  How do i go about doing so?

PHall

There was a blurb in the latest Volunteer about a guy getting one of the first Mission Photographer ratings.
Have you checked the latest version of the 60-3?

exarmyguard

Yeah, I read that too.  Sounds like that course is a blast.  No, haven't read 60-3.  I'd imagine alot of people would jump on that opportunity for the training. 

Eclipse

Its not in there - they have started using the proposed curriculum at NESA, and my wing has taught at least one class, but until they
update the SQTRS, etc., there's no rating to "have".

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2009, 01:10:55 AM
Its not in there - they have started using the proposed curriculum at NESA, and my wing has taught at least one class, but until they
update the SQTRS, etc., there's no rating to "have".
Is the training from NESA available anywhere else?  We've been asked to teach aerial photography to our folks, it sure would be nice to avoid reinventing the wheel.  We could wait for national but we have a need now.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Pumbaa on August 04, 2008, 09:43:42 PM
Funny.  I was talking to one of our young engineers today.  For his engineering leadership project they designed a communications system for balloon that broke the worlds balloon (amateur) height record.  On board was GPS, and a live digital photo link and other bells and whistles.

We were discussing my idea of shooting a tethered camera and downlinking the images to a terra based server live.  Thus a ground team could view the images within moments. There is no emailing, etc.  As the image comes from the camera to the laptop, it is FTP'd to the secure terra server.  being that we would be using a highspeed link a full 8 m pixel image would download in less than a minute.

We discussed using satellite transmission (expensive), 900 MhZ (Line of sight), and then high speed cell network.  (doable).

I am working on my project now and I am going to use LINUX as the operating system to keep costs down.  One thing I am doing is going to use one of the newer small, inexpensive laptops that does not have a mechanical hard drive as I need to be aware of vibration.

I suppose I am basically working on a system.. Hopefully better than SDIS.  Again I am using all COTS and I am trying to keep it below $1000 price bogey, for the entire system, and YES that does  include the laptop and camera.

Back on topic when I am shooting missions I also shoot the airplane panel as a separator.   being that I am geotagging my images through my Garmin, there is no need to manually log each shot.  I orientate my GPS as the same direction as my camera. This way the general direction is tagged on each image.  I am also within a few degrees if I want to get real accurate.

How do you plan on dealling with the FAA prohibition on the use of cellualr modems (wireless broadband) while in-flight? Research has already been conducted by an AFR unit in conjunction with WAWG and shot down for that reason.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Smithsonia

There are some new airborne internet, digital phone connectors in the loop:
Aircell has announced their first product for airborne internet. Still too expensive but as promised --
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12561328

Supposedly there is a lower cost Air Cell alternative coming along in a few months. Also, the 4G or 5G phones are supposed to have some new priority system. With the right chip, first responders and emergency crews, will be able to use digital text, photo downloads, and burst call features - ad hoc as the routing is procured, tracked, and coded, as emergency response. This is one of those left over band-width trade off things from 9-11. It was supposed to be done earlier... but then so was my Christmas Dinner.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

TXCAP

Re the use of personal electronic devices on aircraft this issue came up during Hurricane Ike when 1AF was field testing a full motion video (FMV) system strapped to a C182 and transmitting on Sprint's cellular network.  Below is a email string explaining the regulations, the interpretations, and the final approval resting with the PIC and not to be used operating IFR.  This was for a specific application on a specific cellular network and may not be applicable in all circumstances (your mileage may vary, not valid in all states, some assembly required, batteries not included...)

>As discussed, following is the relevant passage from the FCC Notice of
>Proposed Rulemaking released in 2004 (FCC 04-288, WTB Dkt. 04-435):
>
>"While Personal Communications Service (PCS) under Part 24 and Wireless
>Communications Service (WCS) under Part 27 are not subject to an
>airborne use restriction by Commission rules, regulations promulgated by
>the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prohibit the use of all types
>of mobile phones, as well as other portable electronic devices (PEDs),
>on aircraft, unless the aircraft operator has determined that the use of
>the PED (including mobile/cellular telephones) will not interfere with
>the aircraft's aviation navigation and communications systems."
>
>Again, the proceeding was terminated by the FCC, but there still is no
>specific Part 24 prohibition, under which Sprint is regulated for its
>"PCS" service.  The Sprint  aircard operates on licensed broadband PCS
>spectrum at 1.9 GHz and is also regulated under Part 24.
>
>Therefore, to summarize our brief discussion earlier today, the FCC does
>not have a specific prohibition against the use of wireless devices
>regulated under Part 24 aboard aircraft.  While the FAA does prohibit
>use of "all" mobile phones aboard aircraft, it does allow the aircraft
>operator to ultimately determine whether or not there exists a
>likelihood of interference with the avionics.  In addition, as part of
>our carrier/subscriber relationship and for the limited purpose and
>scope of the particular exercise discussed, related to Hurricane Ike,
>Sprint grants its consent for a limited duration for the operation of
>several Sprint aircards aboard airborne aircraft in the areas in Texas
>impacted by Hurricane Ike, even though there is a likelihood of
>potential impact to the operation of Sprint's wireless network in the
>area.  (For many reasons, Sprint is opposed to the widespread and common
>use of mobile devices aboard aircraft.)
>
>Sprint would like to ensure that all involved with this operation are
>very familiar with the inherent frailties associated with wireless
>service, particularly during bad weather.  The performance of our
>network is largely dependent on atmospheric conditions, topography,
>radiofrequency propagation characteristics (which can be dramatically
>impacted by temperature, humidity, foliage, the presence of steel and
>concrete, etc.), the availability of commercial power and landline
>telephone lines and circuits, not to mention the structural integrity of
>the wireless telecommunications facilities, including towers, poles,
>rooftops, watertanks, etc.  Obviously, all of this is subject to the
>whims of Mother Nature.  Hurricanes, in particular, can be especially
>damaging to wireless networks due to the strong winds, lightning, hail,
>rain, storm surge and flooding.  Please also remember that our network
>was not designed to be used from the air and many characteristics of the
>system are specifically tailored to street-level use in the most heavily
>populated areas, such as major highways.  We can not guarantee service
>inside buildings, for example, provide coverage only in certain areas of
>the country, and the quality and extent of that coverage can vary
>greatly depending on location.  (Coverage maps can be found at
>www.sprint.com.)  All of this said, please be assured that Sprint is
>committed to keeping its network up and running at all times, especially
>during natural disasters, and takes steps in advance to help facilitate
>that.  We take pride in providing a first-rate customer experience and
>world-class service.
>
>Thank you for contacting us and allowing us the opportunity to consider
>your request.  We are glad to be of assistance during this challenging
>time and wish everyone success in the efforts to minimize the impact of
>Hurricane Ike and to provide assistance and support in its wake.
>
>Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future should the need
>arise.
>
>Best regards,
>
>
>
>Ray Rothermel
>
>Counsel-Legal
>
>Sprint Nextel Corporation
>
>703 433-4220
>
>Ray.Rothermel@Sprint.com

>Subject: FW: Sprint Lawyer Guidance on FCC Reg
>
>Gen Morrow has blessed the airborne FMV.  Below is the e-mail from the
>Sprint lawyer explaining the FCC issue.
>
>There is still the issue of the FAA, which believes that wireless
>devices may interfere with an aircraft's avionics.  For that reason the
>flight cannot be IFR when the wireless device is in use.  For VFR
>flights, the FAA allows the determination to be made by the Pilot in
>Command or operators of the aircraft as to whether the aircraft can be
>operated safely.  Arguably CAP could make the call, but with volunteer
>pilots I believe we should give them a say in the matter.
>
>I recommend that the following be presented to them before they
>undertake the FMV flight:
>
>There is a possibility that the portable electronic device (PED) use to
>transmit data live during flight may effect, or interfere with the
>aircraft's navigation and communications.  Responsibility for making a
>determination of an interfering effect caused by the PED on the
>aircraft's navigation and permitting the use of any PED technology lies
>solely with the pilot.  By agreeing to fly this mission, and permitting
>the use of a PED during flight, the pilot of the aircraft has determined
>the PED will not interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft and
>is assuming the risk associated with the transmission of the PED in
>flight.

>Subject: FW: Sprint Lawyer Guidance on FCC Reg
>
>ALCON:
>
>The following is hot off the press. Lt Col Guillory has consulted with
>the Sprint Lawyers regarding the FCC issues with FMV use in aircraft.
>They have signed off on using the FMV with the caveat that some verbiage
>be given to both air and ground crews in the form of SPINS. The verbiage
>is part of the text of this e-mail. General Morrow has concurred.
>
>Please forward to CAP legal for review and concurrence. We would like to
>field the FMV ASAP.

>Subject: RE: Sprint Lawyer Guidance on FCC Reg -- Ref FMV for CAP Use in
>Hurr IKE
>
>Norm:
>
>-  From the CAP-USAF perspective, I concur with 1AF that FMV use in the
>aircraft is allowable, with the following guidance to the crews:
>
>1.  Do not fly in IMC, as there is a possibility the wireless devices
>may interfere with an aircraft's avionics.  Do not fly under IFR when
>the wireless device is in use.  For VFR flights, the Pilot in Command
>will ensure the aircraft can be operated safely.
>
>2.  There is a possibility that the portable electronic device (PED) use
>to transmit data live during flight may effect, or interfere with the
>aircraft's navigation and communications.  Responsibility for making a
>determination of an interfering effect caused by the PED on the
>aircraft's navigation and permitting the use of any PED technology lies
>solely with the pilot.  By agreeing to fly this mission, and permitting
>the use of a PED during flight, the pilot of the aircraft has determined
>the PED will not interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft and
>is assuming the risk associated with the transmission of the PED in
>flight.
>
>-  Bottom line: Do not compromise flight safety to operate FMV equipment

RiverAux

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2009, 09:54:51 PM
There was a blurb in the latest Volunteer about a guy getting one of the first Mission Photographer ratings.
Have you checked the latest version of the 60-3?
How can anyone get the rating when there is no approved SQTR for it?

Eclipse

^ I saw that too.  Obviously a misunderstanding.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

Florida Wing is using a Garmin GPS unit along with your COTS digital camera.  You sync the camera time with the GPS...When you get on the ground you plug in your GPS to the laptop, run a custom software package that  uploads the tracklog and pics, geocodes the images to the EXIF header, resizes the images , and applies a watermark to the image, then uploads them all the the Florida Wing Server to be displayed on a Google based map via the web.

The system national uses were you have to log the coordinates on the XLS file is rediculouse and too time consuming.   

Its funny that we use 'state of the art' technology but we rely on an excel spreadsheet for our photos....

The 'RECON' designation some were talking about is more than just taking photos with a camera.  It was developed to assist the State in impact assessment. The photos Must have geo data as well as specialized impact assesment reporting. As well as  'Rapid Response, Tactical Tasking' or R2T2.... basically we anticipate tasking and pre-launch airframes to the AOR ...drops the response times to minutes vs hours.
Semper Gumby!

Eclipse

Quote from: SarMaster on December 27, 2009, 11:53:48 PM
Florida Wing is using a Garmin GPS unit along with your COTS digital camera.  You sync the camera time with the GPS...When you get on the ground you plug in your GPS to the laptop, run a custom software package that  uploads the tracklog and pics, geocodes the images to the EXIF header, resizes the images , and applies a watermark to the image, then uploads them all the the Florida Wing Server to be displayed on a Google based map via the web.

The system national uses were you have to log the coordinates on the XLS file is rediculouse and too time consuming.   

Its funny that we use 'state of the art' technology but we rely on an excel spreadsheet for our photos....

Not everyone has access with this "custom software package", everyone has access to Excel (or a varient).

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The "custom software package" usually comes with the GPS logger, so it's not like you have to get something extra.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on December 28, 2009, 12:10:17 AM
The "custom software package" usually comes with the GPS logger, so it's not like you have to get something extra.

What GPS logger?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

As soon as we tidy up the code were going to present it to national...then maybe everyone can have it.
Semper Gumby!

Eclipse

What if you don't use a Garmin?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

Currently the software only works with Garmin.
Semper Gumby!

Larry Mangum

You can access the Airborne Photography course unformation here, http://www.4shared.com/dir/18345915/5d598475/MAS.html
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Right, which is my point - until and unless NHQ starts issuing equipment as a set, including turn-key software, it has to be LCD or
the first guy to try and use it with the wrong rev of "whatever" is stymied with no support during a mission.

Thus, Excel.

We took the same approach with status displays - how many of you have been promised blue-sky integrated, web-enabled, shiny systems only to get nothing, or the IMU? 

We found recently that some dirt-simple spreadsheets and a Powerpoint display works great and can be used by anyone with a notebook
(which would be every unit in the country).

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Who_knows? on December 28, 2009, 12:56:35 AM
You can access the Airborne Photography course unformation here, http://www.4shared.com/dir/18345915/5d598475/MAS.html
"The file link that you requested is not valid."

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

wuzafuzz

Pumbaa

Plenty of freeware programs out there to do geo-tagging.  Microsoft dIGITAL PROFESSIONAL, Google Earth, Geo Setter andmore.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2009, 12:12:25 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 28, 2009, 12:10:17 AM

What GPS logger?

OOPS!

I was reading more into it than I should have. I have a GPS with logger that I use for the same thing, and it was all in one package.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on April 16, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

If I'm shooting, I'm shooting from the back seat, and I sure don't want a second person in the back, because I'm gonna use the whole back seat if I need to.

Nothing like a good polarizing filter, especially down here in Florida....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

exarmyguard

Any online courses in the pipeline for this specialty?

BuckeyeDEJ

Really, a good place to start is to recruit a few news photographers. They're used to cranking out quality images on a tight deadline, and to transmitting images from remote locations. It's a quicker way to get shooters in the pipeline than develop a course and train a bunch of rooks.

Outside of that, CAP members with an active interest in photography are a good resource. Then, between those two sources and formal courses (think HQ AU A-4/6 courses) in aerial photography, CAP members who are totally wet behind the ears will have a better grounding.