Winter 2013-14 Pretty Much Done with it, Thank you!

Started by Eclipse, January 27, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Walkman

This happened just a few miles from me last night. It's the exit I used to take on my work commute. About 30 vehicles total involved.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/02/only_minor_injuries_suffered_i.html#incart_river_default

THRAWN

Zounds...that's a pile up....we got another 4 inches or so in the Philly area last night. Guess no one was practicing over the past few months, because on my 28.2 mile commute I saw 7 accidents. Was on the phone with 9/11 more than my wife today....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Spaceman3750

The only door in and out of my 2nd story apartment was frozen shut this morning. Fun times, at least it's 40 today

Eclipse

45° today with bright sun, everything turned to much by like 0900.

Every time I see that pic from MI above, I think it's cars stuck at sea in whitecaps.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 18, 2014, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 18, 2014, 08:09:24 AM
Our group is having an exercise this weekend, too. The temperatures are expected to be in the high 70s to low 80s.  ;D

Came here for Dave's comment. Was not disappointed.

Among other winters in snow country, I spent four winters in Maine. During my final one, I was on the snow removal crew on NAS Brunswick. While everyone else was home asleep in their cozy beds, we were out playing in the snow at zero dark thirty making the roads, parking lots, and runways safe and usable for folks the next day.

I paid my dues, thank you very much.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on February 18, 2014, 09:04:24 PM
Yeah, how about that "Global Warming"? >:D

Right on track, doing what scientists said it would?

Luis R. Ramos

Scientists said that global warming would bring extremes in weather... Isn't that what we are seeing now?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 18, 2014, 11:48:19 PM
Scientists said that global warming would bring extremes in weather... Isn't that what we are seeing now?

All I know is that I pulled into my parking lot just now and there wasn't a single plowed spot.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Ground frozen, snow not.

Now we have flooding advisories popping up with "Thunderstorms and heavy rains" on the way tomorrow following
by below-freezing temps right after.

Goodbye snow, hello ice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

NIN

It snowed yesterday out here. In my town alone we got at least 12 inches from a storm that was only supposed to bring 5 to 7. My car looked like it had been frosted.

Today we were supposed to get flurries. In the afternoon. I went to a customer site this morning, only to watch it snow about an inch and a half an hour for several hours. So much for flurries. That was at least 5 inches of snow.

It's getting to the point where they're not sure where to put it. Snow banks on the sides of the roads or at least at eye level to most cars. The sight lines at intersections are getting interesting
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2014, 10:05:16 PMThe sight lines at intersections are getting interesting

I noticed that yesterday as well, some dangerous blind corners that are usually wide open.

I was just outside pouring boiling water on a particularly trouble some downspout to get it open
before the deluge tomorrow.   My sump outlet also appears to be frozen mid-way somewhere, that should be fun
tomorrow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2014, 02:06:07 PM
Now the streets are paved with Slurpee!

Uh oh.

We're supposed to get snow later tonight, turning to snow &  freezing rain overnight (about an inch of accumulation), then ice pellets tomorrow (an inch of that).

I'm going snowshoeing on Saturday. We'll see how crusty and nasty it is.

Yesterday was supposed to be "flurries" in the afternoon that turned out to be "5 inches of snow starting at 8:30 am" and I was at a customer that is 2 hrs from my office.  My trip home was > 2.5. Ugh.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Walkman

I tried to drive my car vs the truck yesterday to pick up the kids, as it got very warm and I thought the driveway would have melted a bit more. Nope, it had turned to slush. I got stuck and had to push the car out with my truck. The driveway was a big, slushy nasty mess and now it's alternating between freezing and raining.

Eclipse

So - never got above 40° during daylight hours yesterday, then the temps rose almost 10° degrees in less then 2 hours.
By 830pm is was 48°.

This morning it's 24° with 40Mph winds and blowing snow.  Sub-zero overnights predicted for later in the week again.

LOUSY SMARCH WEATHER!

Note: Lack of witty Homer Simpson photo regarding Smarch weather (not) brought to you by the NO LONGER FREE Imageshack.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2014, 01:57:38 PM
So - never got above 40° during daylight hours yesterday, then the temps rose almost 10° degrees in less then 2 hours.
By 830pm is was 48°.

This morning it's 24° with 40Mph winds and blowing snow.  Sub-zero overnights predicted for later in the week again.

LOUSY SMARCH WEATHER!

Note: Lack of witty Homer Simpson photo regarding Smarch weather (not) brought to you by the NO LONGER FREE Imageshack.

Eclipse

OK, it was 77° and partly sunny on Saturday.  I was sitting watching a local Class A baseball team take advantage of the winds blowing out
in shorts and a t-shirt.

Last night there was an inch of snow and it's still on the lawns.

NEXT SEASON PLEASE!

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

April 15:  Snow in Tennessee!  Whisky Tango Foxtrot!