Firearms & GT (Split from NYPD Aux. thread)

Started by JohnKachenmeister, March 20, 2007, 10:54:50 PM

JC004

Oy!  Enough of this.  As Supreme National Commander, I am issuing you all the below weapon.  No fuss.  Also, I am going through the uniform manual with a Sharpie and you should all be prepared.  ::deep breath::

JohnKachenmeister

I still like the M1911A1.  The 9mm won't kill a bear.  The 9mm will probably not even kill a rabbit with one shot.
Another former CAP officer

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 31, 2007, 01:22:55 AM
I still like the M1911A1.  The 9mm won't kill a bear.  The 9mm will probably not even kill a rabbit with one shot.

This is a .40 S&W, but I'll issue you one in your choice of .45 GAP or good ol' .45 ACP.

JohnKachenmeister

.40 caliber = 9mm on steroids.

I'll stay with my G.I. .45 auto.  It stays in my nightstand to keep me safe.  The dog only barks.  The owner bites.

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 31, 2007, 02:26:49 AM
.40 caliber = 9mm on steroids.

I'll stay with my G.I. .45 auto.  It stays in my nightstand to keep me safe.  The dog only barks.  The owner bites.

.40 S&W = 10mm Auto with less balls

But if you insist on the M1911, I won't cry. 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 01:10:10 AM
Oy!  Enough of this.  As Supreme National Commander, I am issuing you all the below weapon.  No fuss.  Also, I am going through the uniform manual with a Sharpie and you should all be prepared.  ::deep breath::

What a cute Toy.... I prefer the frame S&W came out for the FBI. Chambered for a 10 mm HP.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 31, 2007, 06:25:14 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 01:10:10 AM

What a cute Toy.... As for Glocks I say NO THANK YOU

ahem...THIS is a Springfield XD.  Distinctively different grip is a dead giveaway. 

Lancer

Hey now...watch the Glock 'smack'...  >:( ;D  I <3 my Glock 19, shoots like a dream.

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 06:26:56 PM
ahem...THIS is a Springfield XD.  Distinctively different grip is a dead giveaway. 

<envy>Ah, the XD series... all the best of a Glock and Sig Sauer rolled into one nice flat black package</envy>

As an aside... I'd like to recommend a holster for those that carry concealed IWB, The Comp-Tac C.T.A.C.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=e07771364011ba72e9fcd96cebb8e0e8

And P.S.

Anyone a Kel-Tec fan?

JC004

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on May 31, 2007, 07:06:00 PM

Hey now...watch the Glock 'smack'...  >:( ;D  I <3 my Glock 19, shoots like a dream.

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 06:26:56 PM

<envy>Ah, the XD series... all the best of a Glock and Sig Sauer rolled into one nice flat black package</envy>

As an aside... I'd like to recommend a holster for those that carry concealed IWB, The Comp-Tac C.T.A.C.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61&osCsid=e07771364011ba72e9fcd96cebb8e0e8

And P.S.

Anyone a Kel-Tec fan?

:)  Glorious firearm it is.  Shall have to try that holster for my XD-40.  Never became a big fan of Kel-Tec.  But maybe we should issue those to the smaller cadets.   >:D

SARMedTech

If your taking orders, I will also take a 1911A1. My father has carried one for years as a LEO (Detective) and swears by it. I tried to get him to sell it to me when he retired a few years ago but no go...so again, if your taking orders for issue sidearms...please make mine a 1911.

Maybe if they wont let us carry firearms, we should start carrying tazers. Sort of the middle ground between pepper spray and a gun.. I wonder what effect a tazer would have on a snake. :o

What about expandable ASP batons?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Lancer

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 07:36:28 PM
Shall have to try that holster for my XD-40.

Most comfortable IWB you'll ever own, you have my personal guarantee on that one.  ;)

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 07:36:28 PM
Never became a big fan of Kel-Tec.  But maybe we should issue those to the smaller cadets.   >:D

Some how I don't think the smaller cadets could handle the PLR-16 though.  >:D I want one 'fully dressed'...

I own a P-32 for discrete pocket carry in a Desantis 'The Sting' holster (extra mag), very nice.

JC004

Quote from: SARMedTech on May 31, 2007, 07:49:35 PM
If your taking orders, I will also take a 1911A1. My father has carried one for years as a LEO (Detective) and swears by it. I tried to get him to sell it to me when he retired a few years ago but no go...so again, if your taking orders for issue sidearms...please make mine a 1911.

Maybe if they wont let us carry firearms, we should start carrying tazers. Sort of the middle ground between pepper spray and a gun.. I wonder what effect a tazer would have on a snake. :o

What about expandable ASP batons?

We can approve 1911's too. 

Tazers and batons aren't neeearly as fun, though.   :(

ELTHunter

I have two comments.  First regarding EMT's in the field:

1.  When the ES regs were revised a few few years ago, they removed the requirement to have first aid training that was sanctioned by organizations like Red Cross or AHA.  They also added a sort of disclaimer that CAP isn't a medical services organization and doesn't advertise itself as such, or words to that effect.  I don't have the regs in front of me, but I'm not aware of anywhere that says you can not render what ever care you can within the bounds of your training.  Additionally, doesn't the good Samaritan law cover you if you are operating within your training?  If so, why the need to further liability coverage by CAP?

It's hard enough to find adult members that want to actually go humping through the woods, I'm not sure it's all that realistic to believe that we could get an EMT for every ground team.

2.  I agree that there is potential to need a firearm in the back country depending upon your area of operations.  In mine, there are copper heads, rattle snakes, bears and a lot of red necks.  Having a gun is not a bad idea.  However, CAP tends to have it's fair share of delusional senior members, and it probably isn't a good idea to allow them to go armed...especially around cadets.

However, the way I look at it, if I have a gun when I know I am going to be in an area where it might come in handy, no one will know I even have it unless I have to use it in an emergency.  If that happens, violating CAP regs is not going to be real high on my list of concerns.

Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 31, 2007, 08:37:15 PM
2.  I agree that there is potential to need a firearm in the back country depending upon your area of operations.  In mine, there are copper heads, rattle snakes, bears and a lot of red necks.  Having a gun is not a bad idea.  However, CAP tends to have it's fair share of delusional senior members, and it probably isn't a good idea to allow them to go armed...especially around cadets.

Since, in the first 10 pages, it is evident that there would be no consensus, I have decided to go ahead and start issuing firearms to all.  Although cadets may object to not having more powerful firearms than senior members, it may be necessary for a senior member to some day halt a stolen donut truck.   >:D   :)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 11:18:39 PM

Since, in the first 10 pages, it is evident that there would be no consensus, I have decided to go ahead and start issuing firearms to all.  Although cadets may object to not having more powerful firearms than senior members, it may be necessary for a senior member to some day halt a stolen donut truck.   >:D   :)

Somebody said something about delusional senior members? 

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 31, 2007, 11:41:18 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 31, 2007, 11:18:39 PM

Somebody said something about delusional senior members? 

If I didn't take pride in that, I would be offended.

SARMedTech

I have two comments.  First regarding EMT's in the field:

1.  When the ES regs were revised a few few years ago, they removed the requirement to have first aid training that was sanctioned by organizations like Red Cross or AHA.  They also added a sort of disclaimer that CAP isn't a medical services organization and doesn't advertise itself as such, or words to that effect.  I don't have the regs in front of me, but I'm not aware of anywhere that says you can not render what ever care you can within the bounds of your training.  Additionally, doesn't the good Samaritan law cover you if you are operating within your training?  If so, why the need to further liability coverage by CAP?

It's hard enough to find adult members that want to actually go humping through the woods, I'm not sure it's all that realistic to believe that we could get an EMT for every ground team.

However, the way I look at it, if I have a gun when I know I am going to be in an area where it might come in handy, no one will know I even have it unless I have to use it in an emergency.  If that happens, violating CAP regs is not going to be real high on my list of concerns.

As Ive said in other threads, EMS liability coverage is agency specific. If I work for XYZ ambulance company, they pay for my liability while I am working for them, not for anyone else, nor does it cover me when I am off duty from XYZ ambulance. And no, Good Samaritan Laws dont cover professional providers. And you dont necessarily need an EMT/Medic team for every single ground team. If people dont want to do it, dont provide coverage for that Sqaudrons GT. That being said, where do I go to be issued my gun. And youre probably right, if you needed to use your concealed weapon (assuming you can get a concealed carry permit) CAP regs would be the least of your worries...getting the needle for shooting that redneck would probably rate higher. >:D
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

ELTHunter

The red neck thing was joking....sort of....after all, we're not all that far from where Deliverance was filmed :)

Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 01, 2007, 03:55:41 AM
... That being said, where do I go to be issued my gun. And youre probably right, if you needed to use your concealed weapon (assuming you can get a concealed carry permit) CAP regs would be the least of your worries...getting the needle for shooting that redneck would probably rate higher. >:D

There's a line over there --> 

No pushing.  Pick up your donut, coffee, firearm, and ammunition.  As for permits...wait, we were going to follow the law?  Hmmm...   :o  PA has a good start, though...we have the 3rd highest percentage of citizens with concealed carry permits.  As for Alaska and Vermont, your Pocket Constitution is your permit.  I guess we could start by issuing donut holsters...  :)

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: JC004 on June 01, 2007, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on June 01, 2007, 03:55:41 AM
... That being said, where do I go to be issued my gun. And youre probably right, if you needed to use your concealed weapon (assuming you can get a concealed carry permit) CAP regs would be the least of your worries...getting the needle for shooting that redneck would probably rate higher. >:D

There's a line over there --> 

No pushing.  Pick up your donut, coffee, firearm, and ammunition.  As for permits...wait, we were going to follow the law?  Hmmm...   :o  PA has a good start, though...we have the 3rd highest percentage of citizens with concealed carry permits.  As for Alaska and Vermont, your Pocket Constitution is your permit.  I guess we could start by issuing donut holsters...  :)

I can understand Alaska having open carry but VERMONT?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student