New SQTR / SET Module

Started by Eclipse, January 12, 2013, 08:07:23 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2013, 02:43:59 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2013, 11:39:03 PM
OK, all done.  Full list entered.

I don't see any way to run a meaningful SET report.  If I run the "Specific Qualifications Listing" and select "SET - Skills Evaluator", all I get
is the list of people who have taken the online test.

Restricted - Ops Quals
Emergency Services - Skill Evaluator
Search by - Unit
Select Specialty

Everyone currently or previously qual'd in that specialty will show up, with corresponding SET requirements.

What I'd like is just those who are active SET's - an .XLS or even .PDF would be nice to have, either "by specialty" or "all".

"That Others May Zoom"

NavLT

I concur with Eclipse.

I hope that national gets online with the ability to see qualified people one level above.  It has been dificult to find Aircrew and GT members as a branch director who is assigned at the unit only able to see unit members.

I hope that they genereate an easy report to tell trainees where to find trainers.

Lt J

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NavLT on January 29, 2013, 09:34:28 PM
I concur with Eclipse.

I hope that national gets online with the ability to see qualified people one level above.  It has been dificult to find Aircrew and GT members as a branch director who is assigned at the unit only able to see unit members.

I hope that they genereate an easy report to tell trainees where to find trainers.

Lt J

Those with WMIRS permissions get names of those qualified in X, but I don't think it gives numbers. WMU was helpful here until the link to NHQ broke.

N Harmon

Self appointments are prohibited.

Good grief. Even though it has to go up the chain and be approved by others, I can't get the ball rolling myself?  ::)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I see there no longer a "single entry" page.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Whole new look / feel inside the entry pages.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It's still got some bugs.

The blank worksheets item gags, and the Comm Quals doesn't work at all.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I entered a bunch of tasks from mission work this weekend, and those generated approvals for the SET which I cannot click.

I was hoping these would be emails with a click-through validation link instead of requiring a login - that's going to make some bottlenecks
for members for whom "doing email" is still a once-a-day, "after dinner with a brandy" "activity".  But it's still much better then we had before (at least so far).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 01:21:39 AM
for members for whom "doing email" is still a once-a-day, "after dinner with a brandy" "activity".  But it's still much better then we had before (at least so far).

Email once a day over brandy... That sounds awesome. Or at least a lot better than having a Pavlovian response to the ding on my phone...

</random>

bflynn

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 26, 2013, 12:47:32 AMDang Eclipse you are Stacked!!! You can teach almost anything.

Isn't there a difference between teaching something and evaluating the skill for it?  If not, then I'm afraid this program is going to do the opposite of what they said it was doing.

Quote from: NavLT on January 29, 2013, 09:34:28 PMI hope that they genereate an easy report to tell trainees where to find trainers.

There are two reports in Eservices / My Ops Quals / Reports related to skills evaluators.  You can use them look up who is a skills evaluator in your squadron / group / wing.

Brian

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on April 23, 2013, 03:08:09 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on January 26, 2013, 12:47:32 AMDang Eclipse you are Stacked!!! You can teach almost anything.

Isn't there a difference between teaching something and evaluating the skill for it?  If not, then I'm afraid this program is going to do the opposite of what they said it was doing.

Depends on which angle you're asking the question.  As I keep trying to get some downstream staffers and commanders to understand, anyone can learn the requisite skills from
any source with the information and knowledge.  An SET is never required to teach anyone, anything, or run any of the training.  The majority of the ES curriculum is straight forward enough that
it can be self-taught if you are motivated.  The only time an SET is required is when it is time to have your abilities practically evaluated.

Some wings have supplements, OIs, or informal guidance that the teacher should not be the evaluator, but there's never been anything against that at the national level.  I think a lot of us would prefer it that way, but there are some practical realities to our current man power levels that would make that nearly unworkable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Just checked - there are now 74 approvals pending from just the first day.

Month #1 is going to be "fun".

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I have thought of starting our own YouTube channel down here for some of the tasks that would work with that kind of media. 
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 03:26:08 PMDepends on which angle you're asking the question. 

My "angle" is that teaching someone how to do something and checking task performance against a check list are two different tasks.  A person can be good at one and not the other; good at neither or good at both.  Designation as a SET is based on a belief that the person is (hopefully) good at evaluating performance.

How is training to be signed off now?  There are tasks that require familiarization training, such as MS.  There is no task to accomplish other than attend the training and be trained.  Does that mean the SET must be present at the training to make sure it happened?  It would really hurt to give up one my rare free Saturdays to teach a class, only to be told it doesn't count for anyone...

Eclipse

So Spaceman3750 and I just had a discussion and he found something which appears to be "broken".

On an FLM SQTR, he found that he could not approve the Commander's Approval box, despite being the posted OPS Officer for Group.

The box itself appears to either be broken or the logic is wrong as it does not ask for an "Evaluator's ID" as normal, but only
a mission and cert.  It throws an error that says the # entered is not an FLM SET (which is why I think it's just broken).

He's going to submit a Help Desk ticket on it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on April 24, 2013, 01:37:02 AMHow is training to be signed off now? There are tasks that require familiarization training, such as MS.  There is no task to accomplish other than attend the training and be trained.  Does that mean the SET must be present at the training to make sure it happened?  It would really hurt to give up one my rare free Saturdays to teach a class, only to be told it doesn't count for anyone...

Same as always - nothing has changed on the SQTRs or required tasks.  They still have to be accomplished as indicated in the respective task guide, etc.

Attending a class has never counted for anything, in and of itself. 

Whether it's a formal class, self-taught, or "other" the members still have to be individually evaluated on each respective task before being approved.

I know this has been a fairly serious problem in my wing, at least historically.  People sit quietly in the back of a Scanner class, or worse are in the building doing other things while the
instructors voice passively reflects off their eardrums, and are signed off as if they properly demonstrated the skill.  That's not how it's supposed to work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Looks like I'll have a ticket as well.  I can't see anywhere to enter a second mission for my PSC, and at least one task entered zeros out the SET's number and
doesn't update the total number of tasks in the approval queue.

Some of this is hard to tell, because all of the people I'm working with so far have enhanced rights.

Has anyone entered a task, the approval went to the SET, they approved and it all cleared properly?

"That Others May Zoom"