Main Menu

ICUT

Started by lordmonar, August 07, 2012, 06:13:09 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Thank you, SARDRAGON!

At least someone understood the question and was nice enough to answer it!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

Yeah. if you have ACUT, you get a checkmark on the course listing after only finishing OP1. Otherwise it's not done yet.

You'd remember having ACUT because sometime in the last several years you'd have spent a whole day doing that class, as opposed to BCUT only being a couple hours.

Lastly, the BCUT only being good for two years, means that those who have one now perhaps got a 3 year extension ;-) Since it says everyone has to renew within 3 years, BCUT has to take all of it, ACUT has to the regulatory part only.

I just entered about 40 BCUTs last week, figuring that would be the last time for that.

arajca

Although it's now a moot point, where do you get that BCUT was only good for two years? On the 101 card it has the same infinity symbol the FEMA courses and all other once-off training does.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2012, 10:05:16 PMLastly, the BCUT only being good for two years, means that those who have one now perhaps got a 3 year extension.  Since it says everyone has to renew within 3 years, BCUT has to take all of it, ACUT has to the regulatory part only.

I don't know that I'd read it that way.

My wing, for years, expired ACUTs 2 years after you left CAP and BCUTs after two years. We recently called that into question, and this was rescinded
(not that it matters anymore).

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: flyer333555 on August 20, 2012, 10:02:49 PM
We have answered your question multiple times, you just don't want an answer outside of your narrow field of vision. If your 101 card says you have ACUT, you have ACUT. Take OP1 and move on. If your 101 doesn't show ACUT, take all 3 modules and move on.

No, you are not answering the question I am making.

You are answering a question you think I am making. I have ACUT credit, but I want to know whether it will show as part of the ICUT experience.

Flyer

Your question, emphasis mine.
Quote from: flyer333555 on August 20, 2012, 09:10:27 PM
All-

In the first screen it makes a short statement about having "ACUT credit." Where do I find whether I have this credit? Is it after I finish the OP1 module?

Flyer

That is what I answered.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

It was in the regs previously, probably got revised due to the impeding ICUT introduction, but it used to paint an expiration date in eServices too, I have printouts showing it with one.  It now shows "does not expire".

The premise was BCUT got you on the radio, ACUT got you the ability to own one, and get a call sign. Which I need to read the new regulation now and see what qualifies you to do that.  (Get a call sign, besides a radio serial #).  It's as if they've moved a lot more into the realm of CUL or MRO,  and away from the communicator class, with regards to setting up a base station, antennas, and such, because ICUT to me seems just like BCUT.

Garibaldi

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 10:20:15 PM
Quote from: flyer333555 on August 20, 2012, 10:02:49 PM
We have answered your question multiple times, you just don't want an answer outside of your narrow field of vision. If your 101 card says you have ACUT, you have ACUT. Take OP1 and move on. If your 101 doesn't show ACUT, take all 3 modules and move on.

No, you are not answering the question I am making.

You are answering a question you think I am making. I have ACUT credit, but I want to know whether it will show as part of the ICUT experience.

Flyer

Your question, emphasis mine.
Quote from: flyer333555 on August 20, 2012, 09:10:27 PM
All-

In the first screen it makes a short statement about having "ACUT credit." Where do I find whether I have this credit? Is it after I finish the OP1 module?

Flyer

That is what I answered.

ACUT/BCUT no longer matter. If you CURRENTLY HAVE ACUT, you simply need to take the first module. If you DO NOT HAVE ACUT you need to take all 3 modules.

ACUT and BCUT currently show up on your 101 card. This is the place where you will see if you have credit for taking the class. If you pull up your 101 card in eservices and DO NOT SEE ACUT then you DO NOT HAVE ACUT.

ACUT WILL NOT SHOW UP ANY MORE AND DOES NOT MATTER. PERIOD.

Once you, as either ACUT or BCUT qualified, take the OP1 module, ACUT WILL BE REPLACED BY ICUT. NEITHER ACUT NOR BCUT WILL SHOW ON YOUR 101 CARD ANYMORE.

ONLY ICUT WILL SHOW UP.

*pant pant pant*
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 10:29:44 PMONLY ICUT WILL SHOW UP.

ACUT still appears on the 101 after completing ICUT.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yup, it still shows up. It's even still possible to enter them. They're still valid for the transition period. Though I would figure that if there were a bit more AI in the OpsQual, it would not accept an older comm class certificate from after the introductory date of ICUT.

We'll see..

Garibaldi

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2012, 10:47:08 PM
Yup, it still shows up. It's even still possible to enter them. They're still valid for the transition period. Though I would figure that if there were a bit more AI in the OpsQual, it would not accept an older comm class certificate from after the introductory date of ICUT.

We'll see..

OK OK I was wrong.

ol'fido

ICUT...ACUT....BCUT.....CUT!!!!! Print It. That's lunch, folks.  8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Walkman

Does anyone that has done the new ICUT know if it can be presented to a group? We have a group of newer people that will be working on GTM3 soon and I'd like to be able to at least present the info as a class during the regular meeting night and then have them take the tests at home.

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on August 21, 2012, 01:40:54 AM
Does anyone that has done the new ICUT know if it can be presented to a group? We have a group of newer people that will be working on GTM3 soon and I'd like to be able to at least present the info as a class during the regular meeting night and then have them take the tests at home.

Since the only materials presented are instructional videos, I wouldn't see why you couldn't play them for a group - there's download links to allow you
to save them locally, but considering that they will eventually have to go online somewhere for the OP1 test, I doubt you'll get better response
increasing the time between "hear" and "click", especially for cadets.

IMHO I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to try and reinvent the wheel and take what is clearly designed to be a self-study and turn it back into a classroom situation.

They are going to have to demonstrate specific abilities practically anyway, so you can correct or re-mediate any misunderstandings then.  I'd be willing to bet that there is going to be a contingent of Comm people who will try and leverage the second two parts back into mini-CUT classes just so they can stay in front of the class.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.

denverpilot

OP1 thoughts...

- Musical bumpers... Didn't see a copyright notice for the music, hopefully not a blatant Copyright / Intellectual Property violation.

Is that music Public Domain both the music itself and the performance?

(The icons in the new safety reporting system are also blatant ripoffs from various Operating Systems and Applications, as someone pointed out here once... is the trend to not request permission or give credit to the artists that create such things or get permission to utilize them? Not a good precedent to set.)

Apologies if this music is licensed, but the video still needs a Copyright notice besides ours, unless CAP hired an artist to perform a PD song.

Heh heh. Unlikely.

- "There may be times when a CAP aircraft may talk with a CAP unit on the ground using Air Band frequencies"... hmm.

That's interesting that got left in there, considering National dropped all the ground AM Aircraft band licenses. 

Make up your mind. ;)

- Long discussion about "commercial infrastructure" being bad.

Yeah, I'll let you know how many repeaters are up when the commercial power goes out...

What percentage have generators with contracts to provide diesel on a priority basis? To the top of a mountain? In January?

Some, yes.

"A better chance our systems will keep working."

Sure... Sure they will... One can dream.

:)

- "FCC and NTIA rules prohibit CAP from using any FCC frequency to communicate within CAP."

And then proceeds to say FRS can be used for training but not missions.

Again, Make up your mind. ;)

In all, a good basic presentation.

General thoughts...

I sure hope they put something on the 101 card. the requirements for looking stuff up online in various different places is against the very thing this video warns about... reliance on commercial infrastructure (Internet) to check all of this stuff.

Quals should always all be available on ONE printout, the 101 card. Period.

Member prints it regularly when something changes, and carries it. Expiration date printed on it.

Internet access needs at a Mission, are not covered by our systems. "Train like you fight"? Okay... Next SAREX, turn off the Internet. ;)

No WiFi, no personal cellular modems, no use of on-site land-line based Internet access... Zero Internet. 

For fun, make it a photo mission.  Let us know how you fare. :)

Anyone going to remember how to launch an aircraft without WMIRS when there's a widespread lack of Internet access?

You going to be able to look up whether someone took a Safety class online without Internet access?

Now a separate Communications quals area of the database, too?!

Getting somewhat unmanageable/impossible without Internet access.

Definitely some wishful thinking in it, which is just a reflection of the same wishful thinking in 100-1. Not the video's fault. It matches the Reg.

* HF is wonderful (it's not).

* We have everything needed to do our mission (we don't).

* Our infrastructure is more hardened than commercial infrastructure (it's not).

*All interoperability will be pre-planned in advance (it won't be).

Things I would say:

* HF is a useful tool if you have the time and space to deal with antennas and operators with lots of time at a noisy radio who understand it deeply, including propagation.

* We have the resources to handle local tactical communication, but in times of Commercial infrastructure failure, we may or may not have all of our resources available. In times of widespread Internet access failure, we need to remember how to run a mission on paper and be prepared to fly digital products requested great distances away to customers or deliver them locally to customers without delay or remote vetting. Decentralization happens during Internet outages due to a lack of adequate non-commercial Internet infrastructure.

* Interoperability is a pain, and will continue to be a pain for everyone who ever deals with it, for as long as we all shall live.  Amen. Get the job done. :-)

Hard to put that level of clarity and truth into an intro course. Understandably, so.

No complaints about any of the above, just pointing out the obvious elephants standing in the room. No particular great solutions in mind for much of the above, either.

Just don't want us "believing our own propaganda" too much.

Honest, frank, evaluation of real mission readiness has to include knowing when we're lying to ourselves. Sometimes people see that stuff and believe it 100% and it surprises them later on...

:)

Have y'all seen that huge letter and corrections to 100-1 already published? Holy cow. Big.

(If you think the above is too much nit-picking, go read that thing. Wow.)

Garibaldi

Honestly, in all my years as a CAP communicator, this isn't the biggest waste of time ever. Not by a long shot.

It was packaged pretty well, but IMHO things could have been moved around a bit, like basics first and THEN get to the HF wave-propagation stuff later towards the end. Gotta crawl before you can run and all that.

I'm wondering how the practical stuff is going to work out, as in what do we have to demonstrate to the mentors...it's all the same stuff we had in BCUT and in our comm classes and such. Press, pause, talk, release. As I am fond of saying...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...I have a tendency to teach my cadets who participate in ground team training the right way the first time on the radio, usually facing each other and making them go through the motions before ever handling a microphone. It gets them over their mike shyness pretty quick. Once they figure out that they can actually talk on the radio just like they're talking to a friend (only with a bigger audience) it gets easier.

I did find the bits about how to actually use the fargin' EFJ radios helpful. This many years after we got them I still relied on cadets to show me how to figure out how to change the channels. Now I know.

AngelWings

Anyone catch the PAN PAN dubover? It made me jump just because I wasn't expecting it!

a2capt

I wonder if he didn't say it like frying pan, before it was edited to be like bread in Spanish, because the lip movements fit the words otherwise.

Luis R. Ramos

Ok-

Finally got it done!

At first, about 5:00 PM, it was jerky. Could not understand it. But my fault, I was using a Tablet at a popular eating establishment with an M as identifier...

Tried downloading it, but had no MP player. Then tried WinAmp. It turned out to be an audio PLAYER but no video...

So I tried again at 11:00 PM. Better!

So passed it, and checked my 101 not 2 minutes later, and it shows...

:P

I do not know, but I think I prefer the previous, face-to-face format of A-CUT and B-CUT...

:-[

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

I'd agree to some extent that topics like this, especially for new users and cadets, are probably done at least as well, if not better, in-face, if only
for the option of asking a question, however by far the vast majority of new users just need an orientation in which button to press and how to speak
clearly on a simplex channel, and the reality was that many CUT trainers were spending as much time on the physics of radio waves as they were on
being an ES operator.

And the lack of classes has been a constant pinch point for a lot of members, this will at least fix that issue.  I know of more than a few, especially cadets, who had their ES-spirit broken because they spent time and money on GTM training and never got the badge because of the lack of ROA classes.

Wings will always be allowed and even encourage to hold more advanced training for those so inclined.

"That Others May Zoom"