GIIEPS - CAP goes high tech

Started by RiverAux, January 27, 2011, 08:22:27 PM

RiverAux

From VolunteerNow: http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays_features.cfm/afnorth_gives_cap_technology_boost?show=news&newsID=9791
QuoteIn an effort to make CAP's job easier and more efficient, on Wednesday AFNORTH officers visited the organization's National Headquarters at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., to present officials there with five Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable go kits.

The GIIEPs, purchased from the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command, feature self-contained communications equipment and other hardware that allows for real time and near-real time full-motion video, digital imagery and in-flight chat capability with federal, state and local emergency operations centers supporting emergency situations.

"These kits will be a highly beneficial addition to CAP's existing mission toolkit," said Maj. Anthony Beresford, Alabama Wing chief of staff. "The ability to transmit geo-referenced video imagery in-flight shortens response times, while situational awareness is greatly improved by automatically updating aircraft and ground teams on the Google Earth map at the command center."

Each GIIEP consists of a laptop, handheld cameras and a cellular air card, which provides Wi-Fi to the aircrew. A kit fits into two small cases, is easily transportable and can be shipped across the country when a new CAP wing needs it. Since the kits require no aircraft modification, they can be used in any CAP aircraft.

Sounds like great stuff, however this has me concerned:
QuoteThe kits will be maintained by CAP National Headquarters and shipped to CAP wings as needed for missions.

"During hurricane season, the kits will be sent to wings along the coast," said Lt. Col. Chris Sabo, Air Force Auxiliary Plans and Programs chief. "During the spring, we'll send them to states that are prone to flooding. And if necessary, we'll send the kits out west during fire season."

If these are sitting in a closet at NHQ most of the time, how are CAP aircrews going to learn to use this equipment?  Each Wing probably has dozens of people who should at least use it once a year for training.

Now, I'm sure that when they ship them to a state during those high risk times there will be some opportunity to get people trained up, but not enough to develop a widespread knowledge of it. 

Of course, there is only so much that you can spread around 5 pieces of equipment and they may be so easy to use that very little training is required, but I foresee a lot of headscratching going on when they open the box at wing hq with an aircrew standing next to them that is briefed and ready to go. 

Spaceman3750

I think an important point in this story is that the relationship between CAP and USAF is not as poor as some have thought. "Warring factions" usually don't buy one another toys.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Volunteer Now
Each GIIEP consists of a laptop, handheld cameras and a cellular air card, which provides Wi-Fi to the aircrew. A kit fits into two small cases, is easily transportable and can be shipped across the country when a new CAP wing needs it. Since the kits require no aircraft modification, they can be used in any CAP aircraft.

One minor problem:

Quote from: Title 47 Part 22.925 (Oct 1, 2006 revision)
"Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When an aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off."

Aircards are technically identical to cellular telephones.

RiverAux

But is it a "telephone" as defined in the law? 

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 27, 2011, 09:59:23 PM

One minor problem:

"Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When an aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off."

At the GLR ES conference last spring they were talking about this. The sprint card uses a little different protocol from the rest of the cards. CAP is testing them at the NTC level. The prohibition on cell phones in aircraft has jack to do with the aircraft and everything to do with the cell system not being able to handle a transmitter lighting up several hundred to thousands of towers at once.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cap235629

One minor problem:

Ever hear of Government exceptions?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

blackrain

Hey I'm all for anything that keeps us relevant.

Is the video/imagery shot from the aft observer window?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Spaceman3750

Quote from: cap235629 on January 27, 2011, 11:40:01 PM

One minor problem:

<devils advocate>Would this government exception apply only when we are operating as an instrumentality of the federal government by being on an AFAM or would it still apply when we're on a C-mission for the state EMA?</devils advocate>

cap235629

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 28, 2011, 01:57:52 AM

One minor problem:

<devils advocate>Would this government exception apply only when we are operating as an instrumentality of the federal government by being on an AFAM or would it still apply when we're on a C-mission for the state EMA?</devils advocate>

wouldn't a State EMA by definition be GOVERNMENT?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Spaceman3750

Quote from: cap235629 on January 28, 2011, 03:29:53 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 28, 2011, 01:57:52 AM

One minor problem:

wouldn't a State EMA by definition be GOVERNMENT?

But we're not operating as an instrumentality of the state government, we are operating as CAP, Inc. when not on an AFAM.

I could just as easily substitute Red Cross for state EMA.

SARJunkie

Sprint has a waiver.  Public Safety have been using Sprint Aircards in aircraft for years.

GIIEP sounds good, but the resolution of the 'live' video is horrible.  The old Slowscan TV images look better. its something like 240 X 320

The system was cobbled together by CAP members and sold to the Army a few years ago.   It uses Google Earth, an open source Chat app called Open Fire, VLC  Streaming Video server and a script that sends your GPS to a server and created a network link KML file, so you can see everyones position.  IF the Sprint card gets reception you can chat, and send pics. if you have to use the Satphone you only get 9600 baud data!  My iPhone can do the same, but better!

When if fist came out i saw one, and within a week I had built the same thing for only the cost of the license for the VLC Server! $50!
I demoed  the 'Hacked' version to the Wing and Region, and I was simply ignored!

Its a HUGE waste of money, and most cell phones can do more than the $12k+  box can!

Ex CAP Guy!

SARJunkie

Quote from: davidsinn on January 27, 2011, 10:48:05 PM

One minor problem:

At the GLR ES conference last spring they were talking about this. The sprint card uses a little different protocol from the rest of the cards. CAP is testing them at the NTC level. The prohibition on cell phones in aircraft has jack to do with the aircraft and everything to do with the cell system not being able to handle a transmitter lighting up several hundred to thousands of towers at once.

In the old days with Analog cellular systems lighting up multiple sites was an issue.  With the digital system its not an issue. It is smart enough to not light up multiple towers.  NTC always has to over complicate things.  The issue is cell towers and antennas are built with at least a 2 degree down tilt on the antenna.  They are not made to cover the air.  So if you fly directly over a site you lose your signal.  Thats a major problem they are having with the system.

I
Ex CAP Guy!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SARJunkie on January 28, 2011, 04:37:28 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on January 27, 2011, 10:48:05 PM

One minor problem:

In the old days with Analog cellular systems lighting up multiple sites was an issue.  With the digital system its not an issue. It is smart enough to not light up multiple towers.  NTC always has to over complicate things.  The issue is cell towers and antennas are built with at least a 2 degree down tilt on the antenna.  They are not made to cover the air.  So if you fly directly over a site you lose your signal.  Thats a major problem they are having with the system.

I

My understanding of the cell system is that your phone associates with a single tower and will re associate with a different tower as your phone moves away. No lighting up towers to kingdom come when you're only talking to one.

SarDragon

But what happens if you turn your phone on in the air, and it's searching for a tower?

Also, I thought tower spacing was designed so that a phone could only reach a small number (3 or 4 max) at one time. At altitude, the number of towers in range is much higher.

Educate me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on January 28, 2011, 05:39:32 AM
But what happens if you turn your phone on in the air, and it's searching for a tower?

Also, I thought tower spacing was designed so that a phone could only reach a small number (3 or 4 max) at one time. At altitude, the number of towers in range is much higher.

Educate me.

I hadn't thought about that. I assumed that we were turning it on when we were on the ground and then launching. Never considered turning it on midflight.

SarJunkie?

SARJunkie

Your handset is constantly scanning for towers, when it finds one it locks on.  Then it continues to scan for a higher RSSI or signal strength from adjacent towers.  There is a hand off procedure that is too complex to explain here.  when it hands off the towers talk to each other and make the switch.    your phone can hear multiple towers, but only one can be associates with one 'active' tower at a time.

Being airborne you do see more towers and hand off more frequently , but again its only going to lock onto one tower.  The added network traffic for the quicker handoffs is minimal. 

According to sprint, if everyone was 'allowed' to use cellular in the air it would be a problem.  but currently only public safety is authorized, so the traffic for hand offs is limited , and non noticeable on the network load.
Ex CAP Guy!

a2capt

The cell system is optimized for line of sight and level-with operation. That said, the user is on a level plain with the towers.

The AMPS system, the original analog 3W handsets, the 'cancerphone', would work very well from the mid flight levels. Of course the carriers hated you, but in the early 90's if you did it over the west you had very little impact on the system because there were great distances of no towers at all. 

With the advent of today's 3G, CDMA, and it's digital precursors, these antennas are optimized such that anything above reasonable level operation resulted in a much more degraded signal to the point of no signal at around 5,000 AGL. Of course out west where we have this big piles of dirt and rocks blocking things like RF, it means that using the cell system will invariably get used at altitude.  You're on Palomar mountain, looking west. How many towers are you going to possibly light up?  What about during the transit up/down the mountain? You probably shouldn't be on the phone in the first place, but lets consider reality.

Or when you cross the switchback and loose sight of that tower that might be at the top, and instead hit on a couple below.

Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, Sprint and Verizon have roaming agreements between each other. We had some discussion at one point about getting waivers to use the Verizon system under 1,200 AGL for a photo transmission system prior to the deployment or announcement of SDIS/ARCHER. Since CAP flying was typically 800-1000 AGL that would have worked.

N Harmon

All this, when our new expensive P25 radios are capable of simultaneous digital voice and data.  :(
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

blackrain

I'm suprised that there isn't a dedicated airborne mode built into at least some existing cellphones along with dedicated towers and or maybe dedicated antennas placed on existing towers for use by those in aircraft.

Any of you techies able to enlighten me if something like this exists or is planned?
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Thom

Quote from: blackrain on January 28, 2011, 04:20:39 PM
I'm suprised that there isn't a dedicated airborne mode built into at least some existing cellphones along with dedicated towers and or maybe dedicated antennas placed on existing towers for use by those in aircraft.

Any of you techies able to enlighten me if something like this exists or is planned?

Honestly, the market just isn't there. By that I mean, the solutions you mention would be very adaptable to low or mid level flights, but would not be satisfactory for flights above, SWAG, FL030.

Care to guess where most commercial flights spend most of their time? Yep, above FL030.

GA and the other poor souls puttering around below that level just don't represent a large enough market to justify dedicated infrastructure from the mobile carrier's point of view.

(There are some dedicated systems used by Corporate aircraft and some other users, but not much of the airlines.)

The real path forward for the mobile carriers is to work with the major airlines to install Picocells as relay points inside the airliners. Having a local relay point lets them dial back the power on the phones in that plane (auto-transmit power adjustment...) so they don't cover half the towers in a state, while providing very reliable signals within the plane. The picocell relay point can then use any of a number of direct link technologies to 'backhaul' the aggregated traffic from all the phone users on the plane to the ground, and back. This is already in place with some of the fleet with some of the carriers. It remains to be seen how widely adopted this becomes.

FYI, they use a similar strategy for WiFi, just with a standard Wireless Access Point instead of a Picocell, but the aggregated backhaul to the ground and back is similar, though some are using satellite links, while others use direct-beam to ground stations.

Thom