What do members think we should be?

Started by Hawk200, November 16, 2009, 12:24:18 AM

What should Civil Air Patrol be?

A completely corporate organization with no oversight from the Air Force.
2 (3.9%)
A true Air Force Auxiliary as it has been in the past (although not at present).
49 (96.1%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: November 23, 2009, 12:24:18 AM

billford1

Looking at the original question I would go with the AF AUX the way we were. We could grow as an organization particularly if we could get their assistance with Professional Development.

RiverAux

I don't recall many, if any, people seriously advocating that CAP should just be an entirely independent corporation.  I also don't recall many people seriously advocating us having more autonomy than we do (which is a lot).  The only aspect of CAP where this is even slightly touched upon is uniforms, but I believe that most of those who advocate for going to corporate only uniforms do so only because the AF won't let us all wear their uniforms and they seek more uniformity.  I bet 90% of them would be just fine if the weight and grooming standards were relaxed somewhat so that no corporate uniforms would be necessary (though there probably is a percentage that would still like the golf shirt option available). 

There have been a few people that have put forward proposals to move us to other federal agencies as well as some for different relationships for CAP within the Air Force or National Guard structure. 

Short Field

Quote from: billford1 on November 16, 2009, 02:02:28 AM
People who have been around for a long time tell me that the AF had people assigned to CAP locally as L.O.  At some point in the 90's everything changed into what we are today.

Might have had more to do with the major drawdown in USAF manning that begin in the early 1990s.  Brutal times for the active and reserve forces.  Most of the Lt Col reservists I worked with were "retired".  They were moved to the inactive reserve and not allowed any additional training days or tours.  This froze them at their current grade and  the reserve points they had already earned for retirement.  Not all of them had even met a O6 promotion board.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

FW

Quote from: McLarty on November 16, 2009, 02:39:56 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on November 16, 2009, 02:35:59 AM
Found it, thank you. I was wrong.

Don't even worry about it sir ... I just want to make sure credit's given where it's due.  In this case, the Air Force is giving us the money, we need to recognize them. :)

Don't worry about it guys.  Actually, you're both kind of correct.....

Congress appropriates CAP a "grant" every year.  The grant is administered by the USAF through a "grants officer" as specified in CAP's "cooperative agreement" and "statement of work".  CAP-USAF is responisble for the oversight in spending of the grant.

Every year (until this one) congress has taken about $4M from the AF budget and transferred it to CAP's O&M budget (Usually from AETC). 

All the money (~$28M) is highly controlled by the AF.  CAP is on a very short leash with the cash because after all, we are "part of the team"..... :-*