The Death Of Oakland Police Officers Affecting us all

Started by wingnut55, March 23, 2009, 11:15:02 AM

wingnut55

I am saddened by the news that one of the Officers Killed in Oakland
is the Father of one of our CAP cadets.

One of the Captains with Oakland Police Department is Our California Wing Commander,
he is a good man and He has lost four of his men.

I grieve for the Family of these men

I consider the members of CAP Talk to be my friends I felt  you should know.

JohnKachenmeister

It is amazing how small the American law enforcement community is.  I have been to the funerals of two officers who were my personal friends, but many others I have later discovered, as in this case, some connection.

I have been to too many funerals of brave officers killed in the line of duty.  Such news affects me very deeply.
Another former CAP officer

CAPTShaw

All of them and their families will be in our prayers.  My father was a police officer.
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

tarheel gumby

Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Stonewall

I attended a course at the Alameda LEO training academy in 2004 and loved the place.  Met and trained with some Oakland cops.  Great guys; soft spoken and professional.

RIP brothers...

Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

When they attack those who defend us, they attack us all.  I have had them in my thoughts since I heard the news.  So brave, so young.  I hope that your members will close ranks around the cadet who lost his hero father.  So tragic.

Major Carrales

Thanks for sharing, it has been a bit of a tragic first quarter.  First the untimely death of Lt Col Dan Williams and his wife, then the lose of Major Anna M Bujanos just last week...now this.  My mose deep condolences to the family of the fallen.

Let us pray and resolve to be extra careful in their honor.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Chappie

This evening there will be a Crisis Management Briefing (CMB) conducted at Squadron 72 (Sierra Composite Squadron) for all the members who have been impacted by this tragic event.

The son of one of the slain officers was attending a squadron activity on Saturday afternoon when news of the shooting was relied to the family. 

The CAWG Commander, Col Ken Parris (also a Commander with the Oakland Police Dept) is planning to attend and provide the informational portion during the  briefing and the National Chief of the Chaplain Service, Ch (Col) Whit Woodard will be providing the instructional portion.  The CAWG HC, (Lt Col) George Dawson is enroute from the Pacific Northwest and hopes to be there as well.

The following is an e-mail sent by the CAWG CC to the CAWG membership:

To all CAWG members:

I have been asked about whether or not a trust fund has been established for the families of the Oakland Police Officers killed in the line of duty on Saturday, 21 Mar 09. In particular, a number of individuals are asking to contribute to Sgt Mark Dunakin's family. As I informed you previously, Sgt Dunakin is the father of Cadet Staff Sergeant Anthony Dunakin of Sierra Composite Squadron 72. The Oakland Police Officers' Association has put together trust fund accounts for three officers who have surviving children. If you would like to contribute to the Dunakin Family in support of Anthony and his siblings, please do so as indicated below.

Persons wishing to make contributions for the trust funds for fallen officers' family members may do so by two methods:

Individual Checks made out to specific family's trust and mailed to:

Oakland Police Officers' Association

Attn: Renee Hassna

555 5th Street

Oakland Ca, 94607

Make each check payable to one of the following:

"Dunakin Children's Family Trust"
"Romans Children's Family Trust"
"Sakai Family Trust"
Wire transfers directly to Merrill Lynch Accounts...

"Dunakin Children's Family Trust"
a/c #204-04065

"Romans Children's Family Trust"
a/c #204-04066

"Sakai Family Trust"
a/c #204-04064

Thank you for your continued concern and support of the men and women of the Oakland Police Department and for your support of Anthony and the Dunakin family.

Sincerely,

Ken

Kenneth W. Parris, Colonel, CAP
Commander, California Wing
Civil Air Patrol
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Duke Dillio

I was at work when I got the call about the shooting.  I can say that our squadron has been deeply affected by the loss of Anthony's father.  As the email states, we are having the briefing this evening.  I will pass on everyone's good words if I can.  Kassie is at the squadron preparing everything for tonight.  If anyone has anything they want to send specifically, email me and I will send it on to the squadron's family rep.  Email is sargrunt@msn.com.  I will check it right before I leave.  Thanks all for your prayers.