What grade abbreviation do you use?

Started by mdickinson, August 08, 2007, 05:40:03 PM

What is your grade, and what grade abbreviation to you use?

I'm a cadet and I use the correct "C/" abbreviation for my grade as given in CAPR 52-16
I'm a cadet and I use a lowercase c/, or c\, or some other nonsense, contrary to CAPR 52-16
I'm a Senior Member and I use SM or S/M
I'm a Senior Member and I use Sr Mbr
I'm a 2d Lt and I use 2d Lt
I'm a 2d Lt and I use 2LT, 2Lt, 2nd Lt, or something else, in defiance of CAPR 35-5
I'm a 1st Lt and I use 1st Lt
I'm a 1st Lt and I use 1LT, 1Lt, or something else, in defiance of CAPR 35-5
I'm a Captain and I use Capt
I'm a Captain and I use Cpt, CPT, or CAPT, in defiance of CAPR 35-5
I'm a Major and I use Maj
I'm a Major and I use MAJ, or Maj., in defiance of CAPR 35-5
I'm a Lt Col and I use Lt Col
I'm a Lt Col and I use LTC, LtC, LtCol, or something else, in defiance of CAPR 35-5
I'm a Col and I use Col
I'm a Maj Gen and I [insert your desired text here]
Hey, that's not funny, lay off the General!
I cannot believe you people actually care about something so trivial. Who cares? Get a life!

mdickinson

I was reading a recent post that said "what is it with captalk.net and polls? Why so many?" So I figured the last thing we needed was yet another one!

After reading so many creative ones in people's signatures, and in memos sent from all different levels of command, I thought it would be interesting to see what % of the population of captalk.net uses which.

Ref: www.cap.mdickinson.com/abbreviations.htm

Pylon

At least it's not about national leadership or uniforms.   :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

I added LtCol with no space because it annoys me so.

Maybe we should add I am a Cadet, I use a lowercase c/ or some other nonsense to include an improper grade abbreviation instead of what is specified in CAPR 52-16 Fig. 2-3.
Mike Johnston

mdickinson

Quote from: MIKE on August 08, 2007, 05:53:18 PM
Maybe we should add I am a Cadet, I use a lowercase c/ or some other nonsense to include an improper grade abbreviation instead of  what is specified in CAPR 52-16 Fig. 2-3.

Done. Unfortunately this required zeroing out all previous votes, because the other selections changed position. So those who voted already are encouraged to do so again...

Ford73Diesel

Looks like I'm the only cadet

c\CPT, CAP

>:D >:D >:D

dwb

The Associated Press style guide recommends military rank abbreviations that are different from those used by each service.  This is probably for consistency in news articles, since they write articles about all branches of the service.

Although I am Mr. Grade Abbreviation Slave Driver, even I use the AP abbreviations when I write news articles.  It makes it easier on the poor editor, who will change your abbreviations to match the style book even if you don't want them to.  I try to make it as easy as possible to print my article exactly as I wrote it.

For all internal documents, I use the USAF conventions.

docspur

When doing reports or any other "official" correspondence I make sure to use the appropriate abbreviations (why is "abbreviation" such a long word?)...but I do slip into "Army" mode sometimes when doing email.

I'm so bad.  >:D

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

alamrcn

I didn't see 2nd Lt in the list. Using "2d" has taken a lot of getting used to since it became a clearer subject with official guidence from National within our organization.

I tend to like the three-letter Army versions better though... very "engineerish" to make them consistant in length like that. Hey, I still tend to restrict file names to only 8 characters long for some reason.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

RiverAux

MIKE

That is a no-go also.  AP is different obviously.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

CAPM 39-1 defines us as "airmen."  Would calling one's self an Airman be out of line?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

pixelwonk

some of us don't think so.

Heck, call yourself Civil Airman and I've got a domain name to sell you.

Hawk200

Quote from: alamrcn on August 10, 2007, 08:26:49 PM
Hey, I still tend to restrict file names to only 8 characters long for some reason.

-Ace

I know the reason.  >:D

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it