What do the photo IDs look like these days?

Started by dwb, August 01, 2007, 05:06:50 PM

JC004

Quote from: Skyray on August 18, 2007, 12:08:11 AM
PM received, and you are right.

tedda is always right, and when he might be wrong, he can just Photoshop something to make him appear right.   ;D   :angel:

pixelwonk

Eclipse

I recently had the need to re-order mine and it only took about a week.

One thing I noticed, the latest version has the "U.S." added to the top line.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2007, 03:29:35 AM

Ick.

I was thinking about ordering one, but now, not so sure. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 18, 2007, 03:43:44 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2007, 03:29:35 AM

Ick.

I was thinking about ordering one, but now, not so sure. . .

Crayons, dude.

Major Carrales

I ordered mine (the new one)  2 weeks before the National Board, it is still not in my wallet~
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Here is one take on what the new new ID Cards SHOULD look like. 
What's up monkeys?

JC004

JCJ

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 18, 2007, 04:59:31 AM
I ordered mine (the new one)  2 weeks before the National Board, it is still not in my wallet~

I just ordered a new one (dog chewed my old one) - took about three weeks to arrive

JCJ

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 17, 2007, 09:03:09 PM
Here is how I do it for my squadron: 
1.  Take a high quality digital photo that includes the member from the belt line to about a foot over their head. 
2.  Open it in Photoshop Elements (came with my camera, but I think you can download it for free)  and then crop it to 1.5" tall by 1" wide, try to crop so that you have from about 2" of torso below the shoulders to about 2" above the top of the head, with the center just below the nose.
3.  Now save it as a new file and increase or reduce the quality as required to get about 30K (29.9K is pretty common).
4.  Upload it.

If you try to zoom in and only get the mug shot with the camera, you can't effectively reduce the size of the file enough to get a photo that meets the spec.  By starting with a large photo, after you crop away 3/4 - 7/8 of it it's about the right file size and of good quality.

Works good for us...

The 1.5 tall by 1 wide aspect ratio is critical.  You will often see pictures that have a "head squashed-in from the sides" appearance.  That is from someone putting in a square (height = width) aspect ratio picture in.  The system will convert it to 1.5 x 1, with those results

JCJ

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 17, 2007, 09:20:44 PM
I don't much like the expiration date.  Why have an extra expense in a Photo ID that expires and a membership card.

Our membership card should be a photo id.  Anyone think of any ways to make that happen?

Woudl it mean a squadron "Photo Night."

The intent of the National Board was for the current photo ID to completely replace the membership card, so an expiration date was required on the photo ID card.  The NB was uncomfortable mandating it for all members, since there would need to be an additional charge for it.  USAF has prohibited appropriated funds from being used on ID cards and ID card systems, and there weren't enough unrestricted corporate funds to pay for it - hence the charge to members.

IMHO it's an important thing and we should have a photo ID/membership card for all members.  That would also require all members have an acceptable picture in e-services, which many do not.  I don't have a problem with requiring a photo in e-services, in fact IMHO all members should have an acceptable photo in e-services as a part of the application package (and condition of membership)

Who would be willing to have a $4 fee as a regular fee to membewrship renewal for the ID card for all members?  It would have an expiration date consistent with the renewal - i.e. if you renew for one year, your $4 get you an ID card good for one year.  If you renew for three years, your $4 gets you an ID card good for three years.

RiverAux

QuoteWho would be willing to have a $4 fee as a regular fee to membewrship renewal for the ID card for all members?
Certainly not me.  I'm sure CAP could come up with better ways to spend an additional quarter million dollars than on id cards. 

JCJ

Quote from: RiverAux on August 19, 2007, 04:59:41 PM
QuoteWho would be willing to have a $4 fee as a regular fee to membewrship renewal for the ID card for all members?
Certainly not me.  I'm sure CAP could come up with better ways to spend an additional quarter million dollars than on id cards. 

Are you happy with our current membership card situation?

RiverAux

Happy as a clam. 

The only people who see my card are in CAP and the security folks when I make an infrequent visit to the AFB.  Since they will make us jump through all the same hoops as any other civilian no matter what our card looks like, spending an extra $4 to get the same treatment doesn't make much sense to me.   

The important cards to me are my CAP business cards.  Those are the ones that people from other organizations associate with me and CAP.  I give one of those to someone when I meet them, not flash my id card. 

mikeylikey

I am still hoping CAP-USAF gets with the program and grants at the minimum contractor ID cards to CAP Senior Members.  Hell there are people in CAP who do more for the AF than some National Guard Airman. 

With the new DoD CAC cards coming out, they will show exactly what services and benefits the card holder are entitled to right on the from of the card.  How hard would it be to put on a CAP members DoD "no commissary, no exchange"  That is what they are worried about.  They could care less if we go to the bowling alley on base......but heaven forbid letting us buy something at the Exchange.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 19, 2007, 07:34:31 PM
I am still hoping CAP-USAF gets with the program and grants at the minimum contractor ID cards to CAP Senior Members. 

I don't believe this is a CAP-USAF thing, or even a USAF thing.  I think this is a local base policy based on whomever is in charge of security.

My first year billeted our local installation saw a number of us with contractor IDs.  A new civilian head of security nixed that, along with our stickers.  A year went by, new faces, we asked nicely and our stickers cames back with little issue.  The contractor ID has never been necessary since we got the sticker.

I'm pretty happy with the status of the ID's - they could be better, but serve the need for those of us >with< a need.

As to the photo, I went to great pains with my people to submit photos of the exact proporations and have never seen them scaled improperly.  Forcing it into a square, though will result in the weird scaling.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2007, 09:59:31 PM
I am still hoping CAP-USAF gets with the program and grants at the minimum contractor ID cards to CAP Senior Members. 

I don't believe this is a CAP-USAF thing, or even a USAF thing.  I think this is a local base policy based on whomever is in charge of security.

My first year billeted our local installation saw a number of us with contractor IDs.  A new civilian head of security nixed that, along with our stickers.  A year went by, new faces, we asked nicely and our stickers cames back with little issue.  The contractor ID has never been necessary since we got the sticker.

I'm pretty happy with the status of the ID's - they could be better, but serve the need for those of us >with< a need.

As to the photo, I went to great pains with my people to submit photos of the exact proporations and have never seen them scaled improperly.  Forcing it into a square, though will result in the weird scaling.

Bob, are these stickers from the NTC Great Lakes or from Scott AFB ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2007, 09:59:31 PM

Did you receive BASE ID cards, or the CAC ID Card?  I was referring to the CAC ID card that is the same as military members get.  I am also familiar with the Base ID cards that give non-DoD individuals access to the base, that are produced locally and are not at all similar to CAC cards.  I would not mind either being approved for CAP.
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 19, 2007, 11:02:59 PM
Bob, are these stickers from the NTC Great Lakes or from Scott AFB ?

Great Lakes.

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 19, 2007, 11:13:36 PM
Did you receive BASE ID cards, or the CAC ID Card?  I was referring to the CAC ID card that is the same as military members get.  I am also familiar with the Base ID cards that give non-DoD individuals access to the base, that are produced locally and are not at all similar to CAC cards.  I would not mind either being approved for CAP.

These were the base-issue contractor photo ID's, which actually pre-dated the CAC and were issued while
military IDs still (basically) resembled the CAPF 19 (which most of us carried then.

I can't speak for other places, but because we play by the rules up here (conservatively at that, believe me we value our relationship with the Navy, and since my offices and the LO's offices are up there, its my *** if we screw it up), we'd had no issues with access, including running CAP events on both the NTC and RTC on a regular basis.

But again, this is due in large part because we have a great LO who is a known presence on the base, and we always carry ourselves up here as guests.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on August 18, 2007, 04:15:33 PM
Maybe a removable AUX ON/AUX OFF feature?

Yeah!  It can be in the hologram, so if you show it slightly to the left, you can use to to enter a USAF base and if you show it slightly to the right, you can use it to... what is it we do that's not USAF funded again?
GEORGE LURYE