What do the photo IDs look like these days?

Started by dwb, August 01, 2007, 05:06:50 PM

dwb

Has anyone gotten one of the photo ID cards from CAP lately?  I know the first batch looked like garbage, have they improved the design since then?

I was thinking about ordering one the next time I renew my membership, but I'm not going to if they still look like someone made them in their basement.

Pylon

Quote from: justin_bailey on August 01, 2007, 05:06:50 PM
Has anyone gotten one of the photo ID cards from CAP lately?  I know the first batch looked like garbage, have they improved the design since then?

I was thinking about ordering one the next time I renew my membership, but I'm not going to if they still look like someone made them in their basement.

They cleaned up the card and resolved some of the transparency issues and replaced the "super low res" command patch graphic.  However, the hologram is a sticker on the card and the colors don't always bleed to all of the edges.  Even when your photo meets the exact pixel dimensions set by NHQ, they distort it disproportionately and smash your photo into a different sized box.

Overall, it has a professional enough appearance to look legit.  I've also enjoyed just handing gate guards one card instead of "Here's my CAP membership card, and my state driver's license, and if you'll notice the name on both matches and..."   ;D

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Does it come with the same picture that's in yours, cuz I'm way better looking than that guy.

Funny story, not even related, so I'm waaaaayyy offf topic...but real quick...

Back in the day of hand writing or typing in 101 cards, it said "affix optional photo".  My friend, a Lt Col with 30+ years in CAP, put a picture of Che Guevara in the photo area.  When questioned, he said it clearly stated to affix an optional photo, so I did.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.  I think Justin got what he was looking for so I figured it was safe to throw this in...
Serving since 1987.

dwb

See, I would define that as still looking like garbage.

The smaller fonts are blurry.  The scroll and prop should have white backgrounds, not transparent.  They should accept higher resolution pictures so they look better when they're printed.  I won't get started on the whole "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" thing, but the other command patch did look better.

Oh well.  The membership begged for photo IDs for years, we never said we wanted them to look good.

JC004

Ahhh, the window scraper.  Used it a lot in the snow and ice.

Stonewall

I agree, I think it looks like crapola.  As I've said before, I created better looking ID/Credentials on powerpoint.

There's a company called Identicred that makes law enforcement and federal ID cards.  I've seen their products and they rock.

I think this is an example of someone not in the know taking lead on a project. 

Its kind of like having an admin guy in a police department order all the duty gear instead of taking input from the officers who will use it.

Perhaps they should have solicited input from the ranks asking what we want in an ID card. 
Serving since 1987.

brasda91

How long from the time you placed your order for the new id card, until the time itactually arrived in the mail?  Did you go someplace and have your picture taken or did you take it at home?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Pylon

Quote from: brasda91 on August 02, 2007, 03:34:55 PM
How long from the time you placed your order for the new id card, until the time itactually arrived in the mail?

The first card when I "pre-ordered" before they were ready, it took forever and arrived only two months before my membership (and thus the new card) expired. 

Since then, I've ordered two more.  One for my latest renewal, and then somebody promoted me so I ordered a third.  Those came very quickly - within about a week or so, if I recall correctly.

Quote from: brasda91 on August 02, 2007, 03:34:55 PMDid you go someplace and have your picture taken or did you take it at home?

We took them in front of a white projector screen at the squadron with a digital camera.  I just processed them in Photoshop at work, and the commander or the individual members uploaded them.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

brasda91

Well, I took the plunge and ordered my photo ID card today.  I must say that following National's recommendations on picture size does not produce the quality of picture I desired.  I worked on trying to get the best photo I could.  Everytime I viewed it on the e-services website, it looked blurry.  With no other idea or options to produce a better picture, I validated the last one and paid for the card.

Has anybody else hard a hard time producing quality photos within Nationals guidelines?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Al Sayre

Here is how I do it for my squadron: 
1.  Take a high quality digital photo that includes the member from the belt line to about a foot over their head. 
2.  Open it in Photoshop Elements (came with my camera, but I think you can download it for free)  and then crop it to 1.5" tall by 1" wide, try to crop so that you have from about 2" of torso below the shoulders to about 2" above the top of the head, with the center just below the nose.
3.  Now save it as a new file and increase or reduce the quality as required to get about 30K (29.9K is pretty common).
4.  Upload it.

If you try to zoom in and only get the mug shot with the camera, you can't effectively reduce the size of the file enough to get a photo that meets the spec.  By starting with a large photo, after you crop away 3/4 - 7/8 of it it's about the right file size and of good quality.

Works good for us...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

I don't much like the expiration date.  Why have an extra expense in a Photo ID that expires and a membership card.

Our membership card should be a photo id.  Anyone think of any ways to make that happen?

Woudl it mean a squadron "Photo Night."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

brasda91

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 17, 2007, 09:03:09 PM
increase or reduce the quality as required to get about 30K (29.9K is pretty common).

I can't figure out how to do this.  I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro on Vista
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on August 17, 2007, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on August 17, 2007, 09:03:09 PM
increase or reduce the quality as required to get about 30K (29.9K is pretty common).

I can't figure out how to do this.  I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro on Vista

I haven't used PSP in a while, but look for a "Save for Web" or "Export" option of some kind in the File menu.  It should be around the "Save" and "Save As..."

Skyray

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 17, 2007, 09:20:44 PM
I don't much like the expiration date.  Why have an extra expense in a Photo ID that expires and a membership card.

Our membership card should be a photo id.  Anyone think of any ways to make that happen?

Maybe, now that you are getting rid of the contingent that is so paranoid about disruption that they tell you on the application blank that membership is a "privilege" and make it expire every year so they can block you if they don't like you, you can get a quality ID card with a reasonable expiration date.  My Coast Guard Auxiliary ID card, which has a red background behind my picture to indicate that I have had a comprehensive background check and have certain privileges of access, has a five year expiration date.  I'm glad we got into this subject, because it is about due for renewal.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Major Carrales

Quote from: Skyray on August 17, 2007, 09:42:48 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 17, 2007, 09:20:44 PM

Maybe, now that you are getting rid of the contingent that is so paranoid about disruption that they tell you on the application blank that membership is a "privilege" and make it expire every year so they can block you if they don't like you, you can get a quality ID card with a reasonable expiration date.  My Coast Guard Auxiliary ID card, which has a red background behind my picture to indicate that I have had a comprehensive background check and have certain privileges of access, has a five year expiration date.  I'm glad we got into this subject, because it is about due for renewal.

I would like to be able to have an photo id that I can use in my CAP functions.  My Photo Id expired the week before the National Board, I should have been able to use it at the airport if necessary.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

I had a photo ID when I was a member, but that was so long ago that I don't remember how long it was good for.  They shouldn't be paranoid about issuing a long term ID, it only took them a fax to revoke mine, which still had ten months to run, when Tony decided that my attitude about him was disqualifying for membership.

My point is that it is easy to revoke a membership card, and having them renewable every year is a drag on both sides of the equation.  Without the proper data at National, there is very little you can do with an ID card.
Doug Johnson - Miami

pixelwonk

Skyray, by now we are all very aware of your troubles. Some people might even sympathize, so it would be just swell if you could leave the passive-aggressive stuff for the Mil.com boards.  kthx

Skyray

Quote from: tedda on August 17, 2007, 11:03:07 PM
Skyray, by now we are all very aware of your troubles. Some people might even sympathize, so it would be just swell if you could leave the passive-aggressive stuff for the Mil.com boards.  kthx

It's not passive-aggressive. It is a valid critique of a paranoia among the leadership that is costing CAP money, and causing the members to have to haul around two ID cards, one of which they have to buy.
Doug Johnson - Miami

pixelwonk

Skyray

Doug Johnson - Miami