what happened to cap.usafaux.us

Started by BillB, May 06, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

BillB

cap.usafaux.us is gone again. The old links take you to Google to set up a gmail account.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

I get a standard 403 forbidden and a subsequent 404 error and the domain still goes to Stonewall Robert Bowden.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

I've never liked that abbreviation anyway. Despite the intended "auxiliary," I can't help but read it as U-S Air Faux.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

A.Member

Quote from: UH60guy on May 06, 2014, 09:15:41 PM
I've never liked that abbreviation anyway. Despite the intended "auxiliary," I can't help but read it as U-S Air Faux.
Concur.   Nothing like feeding a stereotype/perception.  Better that one goes away.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Now has a "Site not published" message on the root and a DNS error on "cap."

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at cap.usafaux.us Port 80

Not knowing of this particular person, I read it as "CAP USA-FAUX" as well.

NIN

That domain was originally set up by Tedda ( may he rest in peace ) and I believe subsequently managed by Mark Curtis (Lancer). Mark isn't with CAP anymore, & I bet what happened was the domain registration ran out, or the hosting or something, and Mark elected not to renew it.

I will ping him and see if he did anything with that domain or not
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on May 07, 2014, 02:30:34 PM
BTW Robert Bowden != Stonewall

Thus my strike-though. When I 1/2-looked at the registration I was like "Stonewall?"  and then moved.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2014, 02:56:57 PM
Quote from: NIN on May 07, 2014, 02:30:34 PM
BTW Robert Bowden != Stonewall

Thus my strike-though. When I 1/2-looked at the registration I was like "Stonewall?"  and then moved.

Oh, hehe. On the mobile Tapatalk app, it never shows strikethrus. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

BillB

Sent an email to my capusafaux.us email address, and it hasn't been returned, so the site must be out there somewhere.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JoeTomasone

The domain is unregistered at this time.

[root@CAPDB ~]# whois capusafaux.us
[Querying whois.nic.us]
[whois.nic.us]
Not found: capusafaux.us

>>>> Whois database was last updated on: Tue May 13 04:29:46 GMT 2014 <<<<

jjmalott

My cap.usafaux.us email seems to be working fine.  When I emailed Robert, he replied and said the domain is live and working well........

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

Panache

Quote from: jjmalott on May 13, 2014, 11:19:44 AM
My cap.usafaux.us email seems to be working fine.  When I emailed Robert, he replied and said the domain is live and working well........

QuoteForbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apparently he has a rather flexible definition of "working well".

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Panache on May 13, 2014, 12:34:33 PM

QuoteForbidden

Web and mail relay are two different services.

Panache

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 13, 2014, 01:22:58 PM

Quote from: Panache on May 13, 2014, 12:34:33 PM

QuoteForbidden

Web and mail relay are two different services.

I am aware of that, but "he replied and said the domain is live and working well........", to me, implied web access.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 13, 2014, 04:32:15 AM
The domain is unregistered at this time.

[root@CAPDB ~]# whois capusafaux.us
[Querying whois.nic.us]
[whois.nic.us]
Not found: capusafaux.us

>>>> Whois database was last updated on: Tue May 13 04:29:46 GMT 2014 <<<<

Ooops.  I had the domain wrong. 

usafaux.us is registered to Robert Bowden and is valid at this time.

raivo

... logging in as root? Shame.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JoeTomasone

Quote from: raivo on May 14, 2014, 04:12:53 AM
... logging in as root? Shame.

All SSH logins are certificate authenticated and on an arbitrary port, not 22.  Each login is emailed to me, so I know whenever anyone might login.   I could create a user account and su/sudo, but since I am the only one logging in...   Kinda moot point.

I had a honeypot running on 22 for a while, but the amusement wore off.   I did get some nice r00tkit tools out of it, I suppose.  :D

Panache

Any resources you can point towards for a Linux beginner?  I know the very basic fundamentals (i.e. root, su and sudo, etc.) but I've been living the DOS/Windows life since forever (well, okay, first Atari DOS, then the ST-series TOS, and then PC...) but I would like to educate myself on Linux.