What contingency plan have they for when E-services is down?

Started by Major Carrales, March 24, 2007, 01:55:42 AM

Major Carrales

Earlier I tried to get into e-services and an internal problem (my end) kept me from getting in. 

This got me thinking...

When they have outages, planned and unplanned, what happens to operations that are not fully electronic?

Is it to be a shut down or delay?  or are there channels paralleling the channels?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CFI_Ed

I just logged into it -  appears to be working okay.

Ed A
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Major Carrales

Quote from: CFI_Ed on March 24, 2007, 02:03:59 AM
I just logged into it -  appears to be working okay.

Ed A

Mine says, "page cannot be displayed?"

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhoenixRisen

Major Carrales

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 24, 2007, 02:14:04 AM
Mine's workin' fine.

Thanks, must have been a problem on my end.  I restarted my computer and I could get in. 

I'll change the post's title where as not to create confusion.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 24, 2007, 01:55:42 AM
Earlier I tried to get into e-services and an internal problem (my end) kept me from getting in. 

This got me thinking...

When they have outages, planned and unplanned, what happens to operations that are not fully electronic?

Is it to be a shut down or delay?  or are there channels paralleling the channels?

Operations?   That would be 60-1....and you can do that 100% on paper.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: lordmonar on March 24, 2007, 07:07:18 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 24, 2007, 01:55:42 AM

This got me thinking...

Operations?   That would be 60-1....and you can do that 100% on paper.

Its just with so much being done "on line" I felt like a limb was gone when it was not able to open.

Maybe this is a warning to the future about not placing so much faith in Computers.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

I would agree to that fair weather warning. As for An E-Services backup- was it not you Good Major who once stated that the files and OS are backed up in full at The Nat. Tech Center?

As for a reliance on technology: this weekend, the last remaining typewriter repair shop within 100 miles closed. 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major Carrales

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 24, 2007, 09:05:33 AM
I would agree to that fair weather warning. As for An E-Services backup- was it not you Good Major who once stated that the files and OS are backed up in full at The Nat. Tech Center?

As for a reliance on technology: this weekend, the last remaining typewriter repair shop within 100 miles closed. 

Yes, but this thread started as one where I was asking "is e-services down" and it turned out to be my computer acting "crazy."  So, I figured I would try to salvage the thread.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

A 101 card and an ID.

Which was exactly what they used during Katrina.

I personally know of at least one member who rolled up to Stennis with no credentials, and tried to sign in.

When challenged, he had no 101 card, and offhandedly said "we don't use those, just look me up on the WMU".

Duh. 

He went home almost immediately.

Another group of members were there who several times told us that the ES in the whole Group was drying up because "the Group CC doesn't want to be bothered with 101 cards and ES". So the only ones who could come were members who had either credentials that predated the current Gruppenführer or that they had obtained outside their chain.

Ubiquitous connectivity is far from the norm, internet as a concept is still rocket science for many of our members.  In scenarios that are "less than Armageddon", there's no reason not to use all the tools at hand - that's what they are there for. 

But when the poop hits the fan, an ID, 101 card, and a uniform is all you need to sign into a mission base.

That's why its so important to make sure the credentials in your pocket are current, and IN your pocket.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2007, 04:37:11 PM
A 101 card and an ID.

Which was exactly what they used during Katrina.

I personally know of at least one member who rolled up to Stennis with no credentials, and tried to sign in.

When challenged he had no 101 card, and offhandedly said "we don't use those, just look me up on the WMU".

Duh. 

He want home almost immediately.

Another group of members were there who several times told us that the ES in the whole Group was drying up because "the Group CC doesn't want to be bothered with 101 cards and ES". So the only ones who could come were members who had either credentials that predated the current Gruppenführer or that they had obtained outside their chain.

Ubiquitous connectivity is far from the norm, internet as a concept is still rocket science for many of our members.  In scenarios that are "less than Armageddon", there's no reason not to use all the tools at hand - that's what they are there for. 

But when the poop hits the fan, an ID, 101 card, and a uniform is all you need to sign into a mission base.

That's why its so important to make sure the credentials in your pocket are current, and IN your pocket.

Thank,

In this information age is is easy to forget how fragile we have made society and the importance of documentation is still and will aways be a needed elements.

A CAPF 101 can be printed from the WEB...now, we shoudl make sure all our members have physical copies of this as part of their kit.

Honestly, I carry my CAP ID, PICTURE ID, CAP 101 and a set of BDUs in the hatch of my PT Cruiser just in case.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

The 101 is still required "equipment", generally at the top, for any ES activity...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

From what I understand the response of LA Wing members during Katrina was hampered by a dependence on the computer system rather than printed 101 cards.  No wing HQ = No records....

lordmonar

CAP ID, CAPF 101, ROA CARD, and CAP Driver's license.

Everyone should have these cards as they report to the mission base.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

101, CAP ID (spare) Copies of: State DL, CAP DL, ROA, Emergency Info card,  EMS and ICS/FEMA certs. Inside GT kit with spare BDUs - in trunk of my car: along with full fire turnout gear and a full BLS kit. :) -- What can I say, Im ES minded, I work in ES and Ive seen more trauma "off the clock" then I have "at work".
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Major Carrales

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 25, 2007, 08:41:51 AM
101, CAP ID (spare) Copies of: State DL, CAP DL, ROA, Emergency Info card,  EMS and ICS/FEMA certs. Inside GT kit with spare BDUs - in trunk of my car: along with full fire turnout gear and a full BLS kit. :) -- What can I say, Im ES minded, I work in ES and Ive seen more trauma "off the clock" then I have "at work".

Good job!!!  I have an admittedly "lukewarm" response kit consisting of BDUs, Boots, the documentation listed in my previous thread and CAP FORMS.  I really need to organize it better than just being trashed there.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

Actually you caught me on that... I wasnt trying to brag  :-[ ...its all good. I just seem to vollunteer for alot.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Fifinella

Quote from: lordmonar on March 25, 2007, 06:08:27 AM

ROA?  Is this the CAPF 76?  Thanks.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

davedove

If everyone has their 101 card on their person, along with their ID, CAP driver's license, and any other paperwork, then a mission can be carried out.  If eservices is down, it can delay the recording of things, but the physical work can be done.

I have a separate wallet where I keep all of my CAP paperwork, so I just pick that up and I'm ready.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Fifinella on March 26, 2007, 07:02:34 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 25, 2007, 06:08:27 AM

ROA?  Is this the CAPF 76?  Thanks.

Yes
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RiverAux

QuoteIf everyone has their 101 card on their person, along with their ID, CAP driver's license, and any other paperwork, then a mission can be carried out.  If eservices is down, it can delay the recording of things, but the physical work can be done.

Wait until we become so dependent on WMIRS that we forget how to do it the old fashioned way....

Major Carrales

I just got my new Texas Wing CAP driver's License today!!!

I am complete!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 26, 2007, 11:42:59 PM

I am complete!!!

Took 'em forever and a day, huh?  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

A Texas Wing CAP drivers license does NOT authorize you to drive the Black van from Maxwell.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 27, 2007, 12:01:50 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 26, 2007, 11:42:59 PM

I am complete!!!

Took 'em forever and a day, huh?  ;D

Several submissions...but it finally paid off. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: BillB on March 27, 2007, 12:38:23 PM
A Texas Wing CAP drivers license does NOT authorize you to drive the Black van from Maxwell.

Yes, for the ability to drive those vehicles...one must get a hold of a CAPF 007, License to THRILL!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: BillB on March 27, 2007, 12:38:23 PM
What CAPF is needed to shoot at it? a CAPF 007B?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

From CAP.gov:

There is currently an all building power outage at CAP National Headquarters Bldg.714. All network communications(www.capnhq.gov and email) will be  temporarily unavailable.

Hmmm...but capnhq.gov seems to be working? Maybe it wasn't and this wasn't taken down?

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on May 03, 2007, 01:37:08 AM
From CAP.gov:

There is currently an all building power outage at CAP National Headquarters Bldg.714. All network communications(www.capnhq.gov and email) will be  temporarily unavailable.

Hmmm...but capnhq.gov seems to be working? Maybe it wasn't and this wasn't taken down?

Conspiracy??  Or did you take a trip down to Maxwell??
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 03, 2007, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 03, 2007, 01:37:08 AM
From CAP.gov:

Conspiracy??  Or did you take a trip down to Maxwell??

No, the headquarters will only be silent for a short period during my take-over.  But I do have a theory: They were testing this announcement, and they will use it when major changes to the uniform are released.  My little cousin used to do that - "LALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" (come to think of it, I do that at wing staff meetings, but that's besides the point.  I know you did too, mikey)

sparks

I renewed my CAPF 5 on Tuesday and entered that checkride results early Wednesday morning. Until it was approved electronically by the squadron commander, my MP quals were no good (I had expired by one day, new month). The point is that E-services was off-line the rest of the day. I think it came back to life later that evening. I had a 101 card & ID but wasn't legal to fly a mission if it had been required. This was only a momentary computer lapse but if it had been protracted many members could have qualification problems. It's particularly nasty at the beginning of a new month when qualifications expire. I'm sure many are thinking "plan ahead". I agree and did but in my case other events made that plan toast. Some of you have had hard drives die and servers fail so I too wonder what the NHQ IT department has as a contingency plan?

mikeylikey

Quote from: sparks on May 03, 2007, 06:20:50 PM
Some of you have had hard drives die and servers fail so I too wonder what the NHQ IT department has as a contingency plan?

They have NO (I repeat, NO) contingency plan.
What's up monkeys?