What do you say when people ask you what CAP is?

Started by talldude, August 08, 2012, 02:36:15 PM

talldude

C/2d Lt TallDude..

Stonewall

It depends on who the person is.  Am I speaking to young kid, 12 or 13?  Someone 15 or 16?  Or an adult?  What did they specifically ask?

If they're interested in cadet programs, I start off with a broad description of CAP and its history and focus more on the military aspect of the cadet program and what it has to offer.  As a fan and advocate of the military side of CAP, I tend to try and "sell" that part of it.

If they're an adult who says  "can I fly for free", I will be very honest with them about how difficult it can be to get up in a CAP plane for "free flying".

If they want to know about ES, I will cater to their interests, ground or air, ground team or mission base support?  It all depends on the audience.

In general, however, if they ask about CAP, I simply tell them about CAP.  I usually start with a brief overview of the history...1941, yadda yadda yadda....52 wings, three missions....yadda yadda yadda.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

CAP is the civilan auxllary to the USAF.  We support USAF missions states side including SAR, Homeland Security, and Counter Drug operations.  We also have a cadet program.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Everything in CAP is grey, from our uniforms to our hair   >:D

On a serious note, as stated before, it really depends on the person. If it is someone looking to be a cadet, I'll give them a description of my local cadet programs. If they're looking into ES, I'll describe a few ES things we do along with our current and past operations. If they're looking to fly, I'll give them a description of CAP's AE mission. If they're looking just to play military, I tell them CAP may not be their best bet.

A.Member

As others have stated...depends on the person asking the question.

My elevator speech is this:

"CAP is a USAF-sponsored volunteer program with three primary missions:  Cadet Programs, Aerospace Education, and Emergency Services.  The cadet program is similar to a community-based AFJROTC program.  Our AE mission is to promote the value of aerospace in our community.  Emergency services missions vary but typically involve searching for missing/downed aircraft and disaster relief activities." 

That typically serves as a spring board and we can talk in more detail from there, as needed.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

LTC Don

Quote from: lordmonar on August 08, 2012, 02:51:26 PM
CAP is the civilan auxllary to the USAF.  We support USAF missions states side including SAR, Homeland Security, and Counter Drug operations.  We also have a cadet program.

This has always been the typical, canned response to the What is CAP? question.  And by the time you're halfway through the second sentence, their eyes are already starting to glaze over.  There has to be a better way to answer the question, in one concise sentence.

How about - CAP is a national volunteer organization that performs non-combat missions for the Air Force.

Then from there, try to prompt for more targeted questions.  CAP is just to honkin' diverse to try to answer in a drive-by setting.  :o
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

JeffDG

Quote from: talldude on August 08, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
;D
It's a piece of headgear, generally with a brim and the logo of a baseball team on it.

talldude

C/2d Lt TallDude..

spacecommand

I usually start with:

"Do you want the long version or the short version?"

Critical AOA

It's a volunteer organization that allows me to combine my love of flying with opportunities to serve my community and others.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Grumpy

Quote from: spacecommand on August 08, 2012, 05:14:18 PM
I usually start with:

"Do you want the long version or the short version?"

Truth or a snow job?

The CyBorg is destroyed

The volunteer auxiliary of the United States Air Force.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BuckeyeDEJ

We're America's Volunteer Airmen.

We're the auxiliary of the Air Force, but we support other emergency agencies in times of need. We're the premier aerial search and rescue organization in America. Through our cadet program for teenage youths, we help assert the future of American air supremacy and develop the character of tomorrow's future leaders. We've been there when America needed us, answering the call since 1941, and we continue to stand ready — Always Vigilant.

There've been times in the past when I've characterized us as sort of the Air Force's volunteer fire department. But what you see above is far more aspirational, isn't it?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Walkman

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 08, 2012, 10:50:31 PM
We're America's Volunteer Airmen.

We're the auxiliary of the Air Force, but we support other emergency agencies in times of need. We're the premier aerial search and rescue organization in America. Through our cadet program for teenage youths, we help assert the future of American air supremacy and develop the character of tomorrow's future leaders. We've been there when America needed us, answering the call since 1941, and we continue to stand ready — Always Vigilant.

There've been times in the past when I've characterized us as sort of the Air Force's volunteer fire department. But what you see above is far more aspirational, isn't it?

Very nice

The CyBorg is destroyed

I've used "the Air Force's volunteer firefighter" analogy too.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ProdigalJim

Quote from: CyBorg on August 09, 2012, 04:19:31 PM
I've used "the Air Force's volunteer firefighter" analogy too.

Except, we don't run Bingo...
8)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

Are you sure? I think ours is called SQTR with no 'N' in the middle of the card.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 09, 2012, 10:00:28 PM
8)

We don't cook as well either.  Firefighters are a wiz in the kitchen and at the grill.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jks19714

Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

ProdigalJim

Quote from: CyBorg on August 10, 2012, 05:11:21 PM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 09, 2012, 10:00:28 PM
8)

We don't cook as well either.  Firefighters are a wiz in the kitchen and at the grill.

That, sir, is no lie. At my house, the Truck would go out maybe eight times a tour, whereas the Engine went out eight to twelve times a shift. Consequently, the Truck guy was the Shift Chef, and if you bought in on John's dinner, you were guaranteed to require an extra hour of PT just to work it off. Individual PLATTERS (not wimpy dinner plates) of chicken parm and pasta and salad with big hunks of feta...beats the heck out of the obligatory CAP donuts!

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...