Encampment policy reminders - 2019

Started by Eclipse, July 10, 2019, 05:14:51 PM

Fester

An online course on a Saturday is awesome for most.  Would love to attend this as I do need TLC Basic.  Only problem: I work every Saturday.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

PHall

CAWG just did a weekday TLC for the folks who don't have weekends available.

Eagle11

It would be nice if NHQ Cadet Programs would communicate more and tell the rest of the wings that this option is available. I was the course director for the first TLC Basic Course taught in my wing and I had no idea that option was available.

CAP9907

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 01:49:49 AM

My Region/Wing offers weekday, weekend, multiple weekend courses, 4 times a year.

And I still get folks saying "it's not convenient to me"...

As with most things, if you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen without me holding the class in your front yard on your random day-off.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Eclipse

Quote from: Eagle11 on July 15, 2019, 02:15:12 AM
It would be nice if NHQ Cadet Programs would communicate more and tell the rest of the wings that this option is available. I was the course director for the first TLC Basic Course taught in my wing and I had no idea that option was available.

For the most part any PD can be taught / stretched / adapted to any schedule the Wing sees fit as long as the
hours and requirements are met.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: CAP9907 on July 15, 2019, 02:24:25 AM

My Region/Wing offers weekday, weekend, multiple weekend courses, 4 times a year.

As with most things, if you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen without me holding the class in your front yard on your random day-off.

~9907

Yeah, the one guy the whole course was arranged for pulled a no show. He said he had to work...

Fester

Quote from: CAP9907 on July 15, 2019, 02:24:25 AM

~9907

Or NHQ could start offering these courses online with no set requirement for a certain date and time.  If I can get a college degree online on my "random" schedule, why the heck can't I do PD courses on my own "random" schedule?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

Because the primary value of these courses,
especially TLC is the discussion among peers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eagle11 on July 15, 2019, 02:15:12 AM

The request has been made to have the option posted to the NHQ website.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Just curious—what drove this post?
Since we're well into the Encampment season already.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 15, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2019, 05:14:51 PM
Based on any number of comments and conversations I've had recently here, elsewhere, and IRL, it
appears that many encampment staff and participants need the below (and other) reminders.

I'd say CAP is about mid-point on the encampment season, and honestly my hope was to
spur enough people to either be "reminded" or "informed" about what the rules and policies
actually are.

As I said based on any number of conversations and web posts in various places it's clear there
are still far too many encampments not complying with the above.  In some cases wit a bunch of those
rules, and then of course when you start asking the 2nd and 3rd questions things start really coming into focus.

In a lot of cases it's a cadet asking a seemingly innocuous question or commenting on something they did that
reveals it's stuff that isn't supposed to be happening, etc.

Not to mention a few of those things apply to all activities of 4 nights duration, but because it doesn't
say the word "encampment" on the door, activity directors ignore the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

No disagreement.

I was curious if you were seeing something out there indicating systemic non-compliance with Encampment planning.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2019, 03:28:50 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 15, 2019, 03:05:09 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2019, 05:14:51 PM
Based on any number of comments and conversations I've had recently here, elsewhere, and IRL, it
appears that many encampment staff and participants need the below (and other) reminders.

I'd say CAP is about mid-point on the encampment season, and honestly my hope was to
spur enough people to either be "reminded" or "informed" about what the rules and policies
actually are.

As I said based on any number of conversations and web posts in various places it's clear there
are still far too many encampments not complying with the above.  In some cases wit a bunch of those
rules, and then of course when you start asking the 2nd and 3rd questions things start really coming into focus.

In a lot of cases it's a cadet asking a seemingly innocuous question or commenting on something they did that
reveals it's stuff that isn't supposed to be happening, etc.

Not to mention a few of those things apply to all activities of 4 nights duration, but because it doesn't
say the word "encampment" on the door, activity directors ignore the regs.

Which is why National has been sending "visitors" out to see if they're being followed.
There have been some notable examples of some wings not complying with the "new" (over two years old now) rules in the past year.

Fester

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2019, 10:56:00 AM
Because the primary value of these courses,
especially TLC is the discussion among peers.

Online college courses I've taken have included mandatory discussion boards just for this purpose.  So, I ask again, if I can obtain a college degree totally online on my own schedule (meeting set deadlines, of course) why can't I take a simple CAP course on the same random schedule? 
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

Sorry, not even remotely the same thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fester

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

SarDragon

Most college courses do not rely on class member interaction as a significant part of the class.

Sent using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fester

Quote from: SarDragon on July 16, 2019, 02:32:55 AM
Most college courses do not rely on class member interaction as a significant part of the class.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hmmm.  I remember otherwise for several courses.  Sociology, Psychology, Art to name just a few.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM
There have been some notable examples of some wings not complying with the "new" (over two years old now) rules in the past year.

"Two"? How about more like "eight"?

A significant number of cadets and seniors have joined and left CAP in that time
never exposed to the "old" curriculum, yet the wives tales and olde schoole ways persist.

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2019, 03:24:53 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 15, 2019, 06:53:32 PM

"Two"? How about more like "eight"?

A significant number of cadets and seniors have joined and left CAP in that time
never exposed to the "old" curriculum, yet the wives tales and olde schoole ways persist.

Old habits die hard.  Cadets pass down "the way its always been" from year to year and the cycle never breaks.  Unfortunately, most senior members who get involved in cadet programs, although well intentioned, do not take the time to read and understand the regs.  Then, they sit silently while the bad, and many times against regulations, behaviours continue instead of speaking up. If they do, many times they are ignored, so they do not return.

It takes dedicated CPOs to read the regs, enforce them, and break the cycle.  Unfortunately, its harder to retrain behaviour than it is to teach it initially.
Toad