CAP Officer Basic Course - Launching announced

Started by Chappie, December 08, 2009, 10:38:59 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 09, 2009, 01:23:33 PM
Nope, no bounce. I saved the form as a PDF and sent it as an email attachment. The "submit" button on the form did nothing for me.

I did the exact same thing but it bounced.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

As far as open book testing goes, knowing where to go for the information is just as important (if not more important) then memorizing information and regurgitating it on a closed book test.  That is how the military predominantly operates as far as the officer side goes.  Remember "knowing is only half the battle". 

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on December 09, 2009, 01:43:05 PM
As far as open book testing goes, knowing where to go for the information is just as important (if not more important) then memorizing information and regurgitating it on a closed book test.  That is how the military predominantly operates as far as the officer side goes.  Remember "knowing is only half the battle".

So why not just give everyone a Google phone with their Captain's bars and call it a day.

Being able to search for a technical answer is one thing, the fundamental baseline program knowledge required to be a good leader in CAP is something else.  I might need to look up a "will vs. shall", but I also know whether there's a need to check in the first place.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2009, 04:42:30 PM

So why not just give everyone a Google phone with their Captain's bars and call it a day.

Being able to search for a technical answer is one thing, the fundamental baseline program knowledge required to be a good leader in CAP is something else.  I might need to look up a "will vs. shall", but I also know whether there's a need to check in the first place.
Neither of which is well evaluated in a comprehensive multiple choice test.
The key is that the read the material and understand it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 09, 2009, 05:19:17 PM

Neither of which is well evaluated in a comprehensive multiple choice test.
The key is that the read the material and understand it.

Agreed, but at least closed-book it requires you to somewhat pay attention.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2009, 05:41:44 PMAgreed, but at least closed-book it requires you to somewhat pay attention.
Okay....but I don't really care about the course all that much anyways when it comes to promoting people or assigning jobs.

It is good information and will help a member become a good officer.  If they cut corners it will show in their work and will reflect in their promotion.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Angus

I just submitted my application.  Waiting to hear back now.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Short Field

FYI - the application form automatically fills in the Date block with the date/time.  They are serious about first come, first served.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

cdk77

Quote from: lordmonar on December 09, 2009, 04:20:00 AM
175-185 slots available.

Thanks.

Now I just need to wonder how long before they announce who is in the first group.
Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006

Spike

I guess my point was not clear, I apologize.  I merely meant that having open book tests do require a person to dig through information to find the correct answer to the question.  Now, if a person pays attention when first presented with the info, the digging will be much shorter for that person, opposed to a person who merely takes all the course tests on day one in blackboard. 

Honestly, if I do my job well enough as a Squadron Commander and make my Senior Mentoring program the best it can be, this course should be a breeze.  It is my job, and my Deputy for seniors job to make sure new Officers are educated enough to operate in CAP.  Many Squadrons throw the new members into the "find out yourself" pit of failure.

Remember this is supposed to be the "Basic Course".  I will treat it that way.  Officers need to know a little bit about everything, and later on focus in on their chosen field.  Unfortunately, I have no way to see what this course is all about as it is not open to those who have taken equivalents (ECI 13 in my case).

For all we know the course is no different then an ORM or EO "course".

Hawk200

Judging from the announcement, it sounds like this one follows the same format as the online ICS courses.

I'm curious as to what it covers compared to ECI/AFIADL/DL/whatever-13. The announcement says 20 hours compared to 13's 37 hours. I'm a little concerned about the fact that it's a only a little over half of 13's hours. Granted, there was a bunch of extraneous content, but wondering how much the new course covers.

Eclipse

^ I can't remotely imagine taking 37 hours for ECI-13.  It took me an an afternoon to go through the materials and I took the test the next day.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on December 09, 2009, 08:44:47 PM
I guess my point was not clear, I apologize.  I merely meant that having open book tests do require a person to dig through information to find the correct answer to the question.  Now, if a person pays attention when first presented with the info, the digging will be much shorter for that person, opposed to a person who merely takes all the course tests on day one in blackboard. 

Google search takes the same amount of time for someone with no experience as a Level V member.  The only variable will be the speed of
your internet connection.

There isn't a single question about CAP history or operations, nor Aerospace history, etc., that isn't fully indexed in one place.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2009, 09:02:47 PM
^ I can't remotely imagine taking 37 hours for ECI-13.  It took me an an afternoon to go through the materials and I took the test the next day.

Not about how many hours it takes, but how many are credited. A matter of content, not execution.

davidsinn

I may end up taking this thing even though wing has my ECI13 test right now. I've been told that the wing commander will not allow the test to be mailed to the units anymore and it'll be a cold day in hell before my wife will let me drive 2.5 hours one way to take a half hour test. I might be able to take it with the SD but that's still an hour away.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on December 09, 2009, 09:10:26 PM
I may end up taking this thing even though wing has my ECI13 test right now. I've been told that the wing commander will not allow the test to be mailed to the units anymore and it'll be a cold day in hell before my wife will let me drive 2.5 hours one way to take a half hour test. I might be able to take it with the SD but that's still an hour away.

You should probably confirm that directly - I can't imagine under what pretense they would be doing that, or even what the point of it would be.

Nothing like special policies to make the lives of our members easier...   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2009, 09:26:28 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 09, 2009, 09:10:26 PM

You should probably confirm that directly - I can't imagine under what pretense they would be doing that, or even what the point of it would be.

Nothing like special policies to make the lives of our members easier...   ::)

I've been in contact with WG PD for three days. It is what it is. On a positive note she'll talk to the SD about him giving it to me at GUS which is only 65 minutes away. Still..... ???
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

Received notification that I'm in the first group, starts 1 Jan.

mikebank

1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

cdk77

Craig Kursinsky, 1st Lt, CAP
Dover Composite Squadron, MER-DE-006