Main Menu

Iowa Wing CAP

Started by Pylon, September 01, 2006, 06:04:47 PM

DNall

Oh I'm sure we'd do things a little different. I know you guys approached this from one direction & ended up doing all this higher standards better organization/structure as a necessary evil to attain those goals. I on the other hand would like to see everyone doing that stuff just fo the sake of itself & regardless of what relationship or support with the state. I like the partnership arrangement w/ readiness goals & compliance standards. That's the real deal. I do think this is something that can be run nationally, with some modifications & outside support & in conjunciton with some additional ideas, & with that larger scale relationship managed by say 1AF & thru them to the TAGs. I don't think there's anything worng with having a vision to change teh world, not when you already did the impossible in one state.

flapsUP

Col Critelli

Are you an English bannister as well as an American lawyer?

Pylon

Quote from: flapsUP on December 21, 2006, 09:58:49 PM
Col Critelli

Are you an English bannister as well as an American lawyer?

Hopefully he's no type of bannister: 

A barrister or solicitor, perhaps.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

TDHenderson

Man that really made me laugh, especially since I know Lt Col Critelli!   ;D

Very nicely done Pylon!

MIKE

That banister would make a really sweet Yule Post.  Where did I put that chainsaw?  ;D
Mike Johnston

DNall

Quote from: Pylon on December 21, 2006, 10:04:46 PM
Hopefully he's no type of bannister: 
A barrister or solicitor, perhaps.  ;)
Nice catch. Nice grain too. Why would he be a barrister by the way? Did I miss something on that one?

flapsUP

Am I ever embarrassed.  I hope the Col has a sense of humor.  Sorry sir.
;D

RogueLeader

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on December 20, 2006, 06:50:36 PM
So Henderson you think the last WTA was really exciting do you?  Fine for you to say.  You were in the ranks during formation.  I had to march out there in front of 150 (70% of the entire active component of the Wing) with those darn cadets watching every step and corner I wrongly made.  And then there's that CMSGT with those eyes of steel and voice from the pit of hell calling the entire Wing to attention with a thunder clap of  150 set of heels that was reminiscent of something out of an old war movie, except I was on the wrong side of the screen.  Exciting No. It was downright scary.

Like they say, be carefult what you ask for you just might get it.  We did. Now we have to live up to it.  I'm taking drill lessons from the steely-eyed-one  (he who must be obeyed) so I can get off the cadet's black list.

Friends of the blog.  The Iowa program is not for everyone.  It works in Iowa and may not work in your Wing.  It's not the program I want you to adopt or  even focus on, it's the process we used to get to a program. 

The key is that all  Wings should encourage to engage in a process of  discernment to determine if and how they are complying with Title 10 and Title 36. If your Wing has  little or no involvement with your state EMD you are not complying with your statutory mandate.  If it is  disorganized to the extent that it is   not ready or prepared for a timely and proper statewide response to a mission you are not complying with your statutory mandate.  If it does not know on a first name basis  the state agency players in emergency services and disaster relief, you are  not complying with the statutory mandate.  Look at Title 36 USC 40302.  (I've posted it elsewhere on this board) If your wing does not have a strategic plan to accomplish all the tasks set forth in section (1)(B)(1) and (2) , you are not complying with the statutory mandate. 

The compliance strategy we used ( Wing-Centric operational theory, OTS, ICAPA, All Iowa Squadron, Field Officer Transition, and all the others) may be different for your Wing.  What is important is that you have one.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and your families. It's been a pleasure  to serve with each of you across the country.

Nick Critelli
It may not be the model that you want everybody else to look at, but it seems like it is what the CAP/CC wants everybody too. Or did I misunderstand that?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Nick Critelli

Banister...that's funny.  I've been called much worse. I understand NOTF called me outrageous or something to that effect the other day.   Flapsup, yes to both your questions: it is me and I do have a sense of humor (or I would never be able to survive in CAP).   For a good laugh, go to www.critellilaw.com.  I'm the guy on the right, my son is on  the left.  And yes, we still wear the wigs. There is a life outside of CAP.

Merry Christmas everyone

NC

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on December 23, 2006, 01:47:30 AM
Banister...that's funny.  I've been called much worse. I understand NOTF called me outrageous or something to that effect the other day.   Flapsup, yes to both your questions: it is me and I do have a sense of humor (or I would never be able to survive in CAP).   For a good laugh, go to www.critellilaw.com.  I'm the guy on the right, my son is on  the left.  And yes, we still wear the wigs. There is a life outside of CAP.

Merry Christmas everyone

NC

Barrister, eh?

I'd like a double grande mocha esspresso, heavy on the nondairy soy, more heat less foam with a double shot of cinnamon and amaretto.

And can i get a new Starbuck's frequent drinker club card? I left my old one at home.

Johnny Y.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

arajca

You're confusing barrista (the Starbucks servers) with barrister (the sharkslawyers).

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: arajca on December 23, 2006, 04:38:11 AM
You're confusing barrista (the Starbucks servers) with barrister (the sharkslawyers).

Q: What do you call a cruise ship full of lawyers sinking off the coast of California?

A: A good start...
>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
>:D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

flapsUP

Our JA tells me that the  " barrista"  is one of the most respected lawyers in the US and in the UK and is unbelieveably devoted to CAP.  He has done incredible things for CAP on the national level and in his state.  This is probably not the time to bring out our commedy routine of lawyer jokes. 

Matt

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 25, 2006, 08:24:39 PM
Q: What do you call a cruise ship full of lawyers sinking off the coast of California?

A: A good start...
>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
>:D

Q: How can you tell if a lawyer is lying?

A: If his lips are moving.

;)  Yup, that's right out of my LAW classes, actually...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Nick Critelli

OK...I give up.  (Flapsup...don't believe a word of it.)   Let's get the focus back on IAWG and not on any one member. 

We are putting together a IAWG-WTA video that will show the various WTA activities, e.g. OTS, ICAPA, ES Academies, etc.  Likewise we are working on a Webinar (see Structural Change thread) to talk your questions about IAWG reorganization.  Hopefully we can come to decision within the next couple of weeks.  The video will take about a month. 

Nick Critelli

RiverAux

Okay, back to Iowa.  I asked about this a while back on CAPPortal....I would be very interested in seeing some data on are the criteria the NG was asking you to meet in terms of readiness.  Any reports on how this has been working out?

Al Sayre

I'll second that!  Fear of the unknown is one our biggest problems.  It keeps a lot of Cadets and Officers from attending Sar-Ex's and other activities... The more information we can lay out for our members the more amenable to the change they are likely to be.  I'm sure there are some officers out there wondering if they can "cut the mustard" when it comes to NG standards.  Knowing what those standards are in plain language will be a big help.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

isuhawkeye

hello all.

I am glad to report that I am on a well deserved vacation in sunny florida.  In spite of my rabid desire to get away from all work, and commitments I am still drawn to CAP.  If anyone in Florida wing has a burning desire to talk CAP, Title 10/36, Emergency response in general, or the Iowa Plan I would happily get together for a chat.

Hawkeye

CadetProgramGuy

Hawkeye,

Sunny Florida?!?!  I wish I were there as well.

Knowing Lt. Col Critelli, his nickname is forever changed.....Barrista...Starbucks...LOL

Getting back to the Cadet Program part of Iowa, along side Lt Henderson, and the rest of the faithfull crew of the CP here in Iowa, I can and will try to answer any and all of your questions that you may have.

Let me know!!

Cadet Program Guy, IA WG DCP

DNall

I think I'm squared up on cadet programs, talking to Trevor & all. Look forward to getting some folks down to CTEP for some good ole fashion idea theft in both directions. Think it'll be a great professional development opportunity for all of us.

On the NG/State readiness standards... the way I understand this program, you guys wanted missions & needed help; went to state, they brought you into this quasi-SDF role & treat you like they manage the guard. That means readiness standards tied to funding.

So... what's the standards, are they formal/informal targets, are they hard tied to money or no, is there bonus money at target points, most of all how are the metrics run & reported, what factors are considered, what additional management & data collection do you do to accomplish this (cause the CAP-side is almost non-existant)... you know the details. You guys may have been aiming for this point, but a lot of wings are going to take the slow change round about way to get to a similar place (for a lot of reasons). I think it's key to show the chain of motivations that leads to place you are now.

On a sub-detail, we glossed quickly & I'd like more detail... CP/AE focused members are NOT counted against readiness totals? Sticking with the guard comparison, you could call them exclusively title 10 members. The guard has trouble meassuring these kinds of things themselves - not cause they're bad at it, but 50 dif standards plus people constantly in flux. I'm looking for more than the simple yes or no on this one. How do you deal with in-between varriable percentage stuff. For instance, I used to do tons of ES but have at this point stepped back & do almost exclusively cadet programs. I'm putting my GTL back active to make my CC happy so he doesn't have to take so many calls, but not cause I want to. What sort of objective formula are you using or looking to develop to accuratley reflect reality in the readiness standards?