Main Menu

Iowa Wing CAP

Started by Pylon, September 01, 2006, 06:04:47 PM

Guardrail

Quote from: TankerT on January 15, 2007, 07:37:36 PMBut... yeah... we do need to have better quality control. 

How about a specialty track in Quality Assurance?  The Air Force has one, and I think it would be a great supplement to the IG system in CAP.  CAP could model theirs after the Air Force model. 

cyclone

There have been questions as to what all the Iowa Wing OTS curriculum is.  The following is an overly-simple outline of the OTS.

Prior to OTS:
Public Recruitment
Interest Meetings
One-on-one interview and selection
Join Iowa CAP
Get a dress and a utility uniform
Get uniform fitted and sewn

1st Month:
Level 1, CPPT
General ES Training
Basic Comm User Training
ICS 100 Training
CAP Driver Checkout
Uniform Alterations (catch mistakes and fix)
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 100 & 700 Courses

2nd Month:
Advanced Comm User Training (All)
CPR / FA / AED Training (Non-Pilots)
New Pilot Orientation Training (Pilots)
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 200 Course

3rd Month:
Squadron Leadership School
Teamwork and Communications Activities
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 800 Course

4th Month:
Emergency Services Academy - Classroom Weekend
Classroom Training in either:
- Aircrew Basic (Mission Scanner)
- Mission Support (FLM / MRO)
- Ground Team Basic (GTM3 / UDF)
<Homework> CAPT 117

5th Month:
Emergency Services Academy - Field Operations Weekend
Field Training in either:
<Homework> AEPSM Test

6th Month:
- AFIADL 13 Review
- AFIADL 13 Testing
- Graduation Banquet

Hopefully this explains the process a little clearer.

RiverAux

I like it.  Many people would be surprised to learn that you needed to complete about 200 hours of initial training upon joining CAP in WWII so I don't think this is too much to ask. 

Its a lot, but you need to really take advantage of that initial surge of enthusiasm to hook folks in.  This strcutured program would give them an definite feeling of accomplishment.

cyclone

RiverAux, that's right.  A person who has only taken the Level 1 course is far from a functioning and useful officer.  So we've designed a program to give them a base line of good education for them to move on and become very useful and productive officers quickly.

The end result is shocking when they show up at their new unit after graduation.   Their level of knowledge and enthusiasm combine to help give the squadron a new jolt of energy every 6 mos.

NEBoom

Good morning everyone!

Over on the other thread a major point of debate/concern was about the OTS being "mandatory," leading some to assume that Iowa Wing is, in effect, making additional requirements for promotion.

I've been studying the Iowa reorganization in my spare time since late October, and my interpretation is that OTS is "mandatory for new members" only as a matter of Wing policy, and that if members are not able to attend the course for whatever reason, they have some options.  For example, they could complete things like Level I and so forth at their units (or on their own now that some of those things are on-line).  They also could attend the parts of OTS they'd be available for, but not the whole thing.  As long as they get the minimums done, they'd be promotable per CAP regs, and would in fact be promoted.  They could then catch the remainder of the training on the next cycle.

Another question that's come up concerns transfer members, returning members, and/or anyone else who already has their rank prior to the reorganization.  Again, these members have options.  They can attend whatever part of OTS they wish (like to get ES qual, or perhaps take their SLS if they haven't already), but are not required to attend the whole thing.

The bottom line here is that OTS gives you all the required things for promotion per CAP regs, plus a lot more to prepare you to be a capable officer once you get to the home unit.  There is no attempt to keep anyone down (to the contrary, OTS will greatly help a new member get started in CAP), no attempt to usurp National regulations, nothing like that.

As I like to tell people who've been asking me questions about it, "Common sense is not suspended."

If I'm off base with this analysis, I'm sure the Iowa gang will correct me, but that's the way I see it.  Nothing evil or conspiratorial, just a wing trying to make it's Wing HQ do someting good to support it's members, which is what we all should be trying for.

Well, I've got to go get a couple of teeth drilled, everyone have a good day.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Dragoon

Quote from: cyclone on January 22, 2007, 03:36:15 AM
There have been questions as to what all the Iowa Wing OTS curriculum is.  The following is an overly-simple outline of the OTS.

Prior to OTS:
Public Recruitment
Interest Meetings
One-on-one interview and selection
Join Iowa CAP
Get a dress and a utility uniform
Get uniform fitted and sewn

1st Month:
Level 1, CPPT
General ES Training
Basic Comm User Training
ICS 100 Training
CAP Driver Checkout
Uniform Alterations (catch mistakes and fix)
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 100 & 700 Courses

2nd Month:
Advanced Comm User Training (All)
CPR / FA / AED Training (Non-Pilots)
New Pilot Orientation Training (Pilots)
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 200 Course

3rd Month:
Squadron Leadership School
Teamwork and Communications Activities
<Homework> FEMA EMI IS 800 Course

4th Month:
Emergency Services Academy - Classroom Weekend
Classroom Training in either:
<Homework> CAPT 117

5th Month:
Emergency Services Academy - Field Operations Weekend
Field Training in either:
<Homework> AEPSM Test

6th Month:
- AFIADL 13 Review
- AFIADL 13 Testing
- Graduation Banquet

Hopefully this explains the process a little clearer.

It does.  And it sounds pretty good.  Personally, I'd love to see a CAP where you don't get your bars until you've done all of this.

SAR-EMT1

Structured and definitely more military-like --
(and as someone medical'd out of ROTC and thus college I'm a fan of approaching what I should have been) [ if this makes me sound like a poser, I'm sorry, Id have been thrilled to go AD but the AF decided against that because I had asthma back in childhood...I'm still looking for a way to commission]
--
*Is there any kind of similar progression / structured program being put into place for those above the grade of 2nd Lt?

*Being associated with the Guard do you have any access to Army PME, leadership courses or similar type training?

* Have you noticed a shift in the number of Officers taking the AF PME over the corporate courses? - SOS/ACSC etc over RSC etc...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

cyclone

Iowa Wing is making no additional requirements for promotion.  New officer applications are sent to IAWG HQ for review prior to going to NHQ.  New officers are all put into one unit for processing and preparation for the next OTS Cycle.  This relieves the units of the burden of dealing with the administration and training of new officers.

We try to make it very understood to incoming new officers that the WTA is the avenue of new training and that if they are unable to schedule the WTA for the upcoming cycle then we will get them on the next one.  To graduate from the OTS and be eligible for the OTS awards (honor gradutate) the student must complete 5 of the 6 weekends.

Current officers who have not done any of this training are invited to attend whatever portions are needed.

The OTS has been designed as a vehicle to increase professionalism, uniformity, knowledge, retention, and morale.  The quality and caliber of the OTS graduates is apparent.

If adjoining Wings had new officers they would like to send as a demo to see how it works we would be happy to work something out.

lordmonar

I have a question about the training cycle.

Does it run continuously...or is it just run twice a year?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cyclone

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 22, 2007, 04:47:59 PM
*Is there any kind of similar progression / structured program being put into place for those above the grade of 2nd Lt?

We are working on a follow up program with leadership training for officers that they can make use of after the OTS.  The OTS graduates are in the pool of company grade officers that are able to be on staff duty as an Orderly Room officer to help run the WTA's.

*Being associated with the Guard do you have any access to Army PME, leadership courses or similar type training?
We have been able to do some joint training with the Army Guard and Air Guard.  As far as PME we are just getting into getting some help with some of the advanced leadership training.

* Have you noticed a shift in the number of Officers taking the AF PME over the corporate courses? - SOS/ACSC etc over RSC etc...
A little, but not much yet.  I think that we will see it as time goes on.   Other figures are going up like our AFIADL 13 completion rate, etc.   We are seeing a very large increase in FEMA EMI courses being completed and ICS course progression.

cyclone

Quote from: lordmonar on January 22, 2007, 05:19:28 PM
I have a question about the training cycle.

Does it run continuously...or is it just run twice a year?

The cycle starts twice per year.

SAR-EMT1

Thank you for the answers
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Hawk200

Those courses have been allowed for a good while, going back at least ten to fifteen years. We have accepted those courses in lieu of the CAP courses, and ECI permitted CAP officers to take them too.

SAR-EMT1

I was aware of that, what I meant was: since aligning with the Guard if the corporate courses have been abandoned by and large for the Real PME.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 22, 2007, 06:22:15 PM
I was aware of that, what I meant was: since aligning with the Guard if the corporate courses have been abandoned by and large for the Real PME.

My apology, I didn't realize you were addressing the IAWG course.

Judging from the break-down offered by cyclone, there don't appear to be any military PME courses in there. But also, it is put forth as only the simplest of outlines. There may be, but they might not be mentioned.

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

cyclone

We have not incorporated any formal Army or Air Force PME into the system.  However we have incorporated more D&C type activities into the system.  The recruits stand inspection and are taught basic drill for formation and awards ceremony purposes.

DNall

I'd venture to guess though that if NHQ let them abandon the existing PD program that they'd create an OTS more in line with real AMS/OTS at least in academic content. And that they'd continue to take advantage of the AFIADL PMEs. I'd also venture to guess that they'd create an enlisted corps & better emulate the structure of the ANG/Res. That's precisely what's being discusse din other threads on where we'd like ot take CAP as a whole. Iowa is doing the best they can inside the limits of the existing CAP PD program & that's great work.

Al Sayre

Bump

How about an update on the Command and Staff Leadership Institute that was to start in January?  How is it going so far?  Any major problems?

A general update on the whole program would also be nice.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

isuhawkeye

well this has been a busy year operationally.  Iowa responded to our winter storm, and we were operational for seven days.  We also were very involved in the search for able (ISU student).

the wing is currently undergoing our Compliance Inspection.  I'm sure more will be posted at the conclusion of this exciting weekend  ;D