Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

IceNine

How are you applying for SOS?  You have to be a Capt?

Have you just not updated your sig?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Well, FWIW, my sig sez Senior Member, but I do wear some variety of rank insignia on my uniforms. It all works out in the end.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dad2-4

IceNine

Man and I was hoping for an "aw shucks".

I'm not sure how many times I had people try to apply for courses that required a higher grade WIWAPDO

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dad2-4

Applied last Wednesday. Still no word as of Monday morning.  :( OK, so there was the weekend.

IceNine

They seem to have gone completely dark at AU.  I have updated their KB with my question, emailed them, had Jennifer Carrol try to call them... nothing.

I'm hoping they are just on vacation or something like that, cause its getting pretty frustrating.  I've been enrolled now for 3 weeks and I still can't see the course material

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dad2-4

Just got a confirmation of enrollment email this afternoon. Also received a note saying they're processing over 200 enrollments a day and please be patient.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I just passed the 5th and final exam on 14 Aug.

RSC wouls have been less hours but I did not have the week to take.

Maj Phil Hirons, Jr.
RIWG DPD

Dad2-4

I could get a week for RSC since I'm a teacher, but the cost is prohibitive since I'm a teacher. :P
I've now received two emails and a letter confirming enrollment in SOS. I sent an email today requesting internet access.

NCR HSO

I am reading and re-reading 28A (Profession of Arms) - trying to build up enough courage to take the computer-based test at a local base. Any suggestions?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

This applies to all 5 exams.

Use the Standards of Behavior (SOB) sheets. Read the questions on the SOB then answer them as you go thru each unit. Take the chapter quizzes as they come up and run thru the entire set multiple times. I always scheduled the exams between 0700 and 0800 so I'd do one more pass thru the quizzes the night before.

The exams are multiple choice. So the same rules I'd tell my cadets when I was a squadron testing officer apply.

1. Answer every question. No answer is always wrong, a guess at least has a chance.

2. One choice can usually be eliminated as just plain wrong.

3. If you come down to 2 answers, go with your first instinct. There is probably a reason you had it.

4. Sometimes a later question gives you an earlier answer.

Maj Phil Hirons, Jr.
RIWG DPD

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: IceNine on August 06, 2008, 10:13:51 PM

Air Force enrollment procedures now let RealAirForce® captains-select enroll in SOS.

Strictly speaking - and there is NO official guidance on this matter - in CAP, a captain-selectee would technically be a 1st Lt who has completed ALL requirements for Level II and is just awaiting time-in-grade for promotion. Final approval would have to come from the unit commander or the promoting authority (group commander or higher) to take the course. To avoid problems, I recommend that one wait until you pin on Captain before enrolling in SOS, as NHQ CAP does not have a way to track selectees to a higher grade on eServices.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NCR HSO

Quote from: phirons on August 17, 2008, 09:34:28 PM
This applies to all 5 exams.

Use the Standards of Behavior (SOB) sheets. Read the questions on the SOB then answer them as you go thru each unit. Take the chapter quizzes as they come up and run thru the entire set multiple times. I always scheduled the exams between 0700 and 0800 so I'd do one more pass thru the quizzes the night before.

The exams are multiple choice. So the same rules I'd tell my cadets when I was a squadron testing officer apply.

1. Answer every question. No answer is always wrong, a guess at least has a chance.

2. One choice can usually be eliminated as just plain wrong.

3. If you come down to 2 answers, go with your first instinct. There is probably a reason you had it.

4. Sometimes a later question gives you an earlier answer.

Maj Phil Hirons, Jr.
RIWG DPD

Thanks, Major!

That's what I've been doing - but this course feels so different when compared with other courses that I've taken.

I appreciate your time!

Chris

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Dad2-4

Yeah! I just got access today, went through the introduction, and printed the LO/SOB for Prof. of Arms. 14 days from application to online access. I'm on my way.  8)

DNall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 17, 2008, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: IceNine on August 06, 2008, 10:13:51 PM

Air Force enrollment procedures now let RealAirForce® captains-select enroll in SOS.

Strictly speaking - and there is NO official guidance on this matter - in CAP, a captain-selectee would technically be a 1st Lt who has completed ALL requirements for Level II and is just awaiting time-in-grade for promotion. Final approval would have to come from the unit commander or the promoting authority (group commander or higher) to take the course. To avoid problems, I recommend that one wait until you pin on Captain before enrolling in SOS, as NHQ CAP does not have a way to track selectees to a higher grade on eServices.

Strictly speaking... they do track level II completion, which I agree would be the standard for 1LT (P). However, there is guidance from AFIADL, in that they state CAP Capt. I realize they don't deal with CAP much and it wouldn't be difficult for a CAP 1LT to enroll, but there really isn't a need for that.