Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

Maj Ballard

There was no fee when I took it this past fall. Again, I'd say to get in contact with your State Director. He or she can call the testing office for you and make the arrangements, at least for the first exam. After that, I scheduled my own for the last four, when they were already familiar with me.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Jimbo

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 15, 2007, 09:46:40 PM
Call the base.....ask for the CAP liaison Officer.  Each base is mandated to have one!  Other than that, call the Education Office, explain your situation.  They will most likely open up a computer for you to take it on!

Or Call the State Director and explain the situation, and tell him/ her it would be easier for you to just take it on the base.

GOOD LUCK!!

Each base is mandated to have a CAP LO?
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

dwb

The State Director is your friend here.  He/She should set up the initial test with the base, then you can probably do the rest directly.  Do not start calling random people on base by yourself... use the state director.

In my case, my squadron commander is in the Guard unit I was going to use, so he knew who to call and did all the liason work for my first exam.  I E-mailed the testing office directly for the rest of the exams.

IceNine

sorry for the resurect.

I am trying to enroll but CAPP 8 Says the course number is 00024

50-17 says 00026A

AU says 00028A-E

Anyone know for real?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dwb

Dad2-4

I haven't read through all 8 pages of this thread, and I'm ignorant:
Is SOS required? What's the benefit of taking it?

IceNine

Not required, it is one of the equivalences of RSC.  Benefit, completing level IV at home, and you get a star on the Garber Ribbon

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Dad2-4

Thanks! Living on a budget, attending a RSC may be difficult when I get to that point. Doing SOS at home may be right up my alley.

IceNine

Quote from: dwb on July 23, 2008, 07:54:19 PM
28.  Go with what AU says.

http://sos.maxwell.af.mil/adl_info.htm

So the course number is 00028A?   I'm sorry but I'm just not finding any definitive information, and unfortunately as mentioned above there are 3 different numbers listed, and 2 within CAP.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

SOS actually has five courses - 00028A through 00028E. You only sign-up for the first course. You are automatically enrolled in the next when you complete one course.

IceNine

Ok one more.

Approving Authority? Do I just put N/A and email the thing the Maxwell, or do I need to send it somewhere else first?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

Approving authority is your commander.

IceNine

Quick update.

I applied just as you do for the CAPSOC using the AU form 23.

The course is 00028A

I just listed the wing TCO as my supervisor, and they accepted everything.  I got my confirmation that i'd been accepted at noon, I submitted it around 1AM

I will let you know how long the online access takes to approve.  I submitted the request around 1230

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

desertengineer1

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM
I just started down the path of professional military education and wondered if there was anyone else out there doing the same?

OH MY GOD yes, and it sucks.  I'm doing it for the ANG military world and am wishing I had gone in residence.

It's not hard, just really time consuming.  If you don't get into a battle rhythem, time can get away from you quickly (as it did with me!)

IceNine

Over the past week I have been fighting through every known means to gain access to this course.

I have tried the AFIADL Cust Help site, The Login Help submit a problem, and talked with Ms. Carroll a few times.

NO one seems to be able to tell me how to get to the Non-deers registration/login page, and I'm getting impatient with the responses from AU telling me to go there, but we can't tell you how.

Does anyone know the secret handshake to getting access to online courses, using the Non-deers access?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Fifinella

It sounds like you already did this, but I sent an email to afiadl@custhelp.com, and they had me squared away in less than 24 hrs.  Or try this: Linky

Fix0red linky - MIKE
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

IceNine

I've done that twice, 

They just keep telling me to choose non-deers.  And when I email them back and say that doesn't exist they don't respond.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Fifinella

Hmm.  Make sure you cover buzz words like 0028, SOS, PME, CAP, making it clear that you are NOT taking a CAP course, but an AF PME course as a CAP member.

When I emailed them, they responded with this: An account has been established for you. Your login Id is xxx and the password is xxx.  You can log in at https://au.csd.disa.mil

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

dwb

Here is the text of the ticket I submitted to the AFIADL custhelp site (with contact info redacted).  I also got my user account in less than 24 hours.

QuoteGreetings. I am a member of Civil Air Patrol and was recently enrolled in the Squadron Officer School non-residence course. I would like to setup an AU online user account to access the SOS course materials. My information is as follows:

Name: Daniel W. Brodsky
Course: 00028 (SOS)
Last 4 of SSN: [nnnn]
CAPID: [nnnnnn]
My E-mail: [abc@mail.com]
My commercial phone: (nnn) nnn-nnnn
Supervisor's name: [Squadron CC's name]
Supervisor's E-mail: [Squadron CC's E-mail]

Thank you for your time.

Dad2-4

OK, so "that point" came a lot quicker than expected. I sent in my application email this morning. Filling it out was pretty easy. Getting through the steps to send the data to AFIADL took a while longer though. Let's see how this goes.