Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

Tim Medeiros

Thanks, I just might call my state director, I've known him for years.  He also probably has the numbers I need.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

mikeylikey

^NP.  I finished up the SOS last year.  It was beneficial, to say the least. 

When you do go in to take the tests, take your time.  They like to put questions together that resemble something you read, but really are asking a totally different question.  It's tough to explain it.  Just re-read the questions slowly, you will do fine!
What's up monkeys?

Tim Medeiros

Thanks for the tip, it is greatly appreciated.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Maj Ballard

Capt Medeiros,

Definitely call your SD. He was a HUGE help to me with SOS. Basically, he arranged for my first exam, and the rest I scheduled myself. I took all of mine at the ANG base in Jacksonville. I'm sure you could do yours at MacDill with no problem.

Someone asked what parts to study... Honestly, everything. The "samples of behavior" give you an idea of everything you should know.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

I am taking my 28A test this friday, for those who have taken it, can someone tell me how many questions are on the test.  I have been told to study the SOB's and I cant figure out how much information could be pulled from them.  Thanks. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Maj Ballard

It seems like there were 50 or so. Some of the exams had more questions than others, but I can't remember any of them having less than 50.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

OK thank you, i thought it would be around that amount.  I am having some trouble filling out the SOB's I dont think some of the answers are in the text, if they are they are hiding on me someplace.   Thats why I was wondering about the amount of questions, because some of the answers I am getting are like paragraphs of text, so was just wondering.   
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Maj Ballard

It is really hard to explain, but the questions aren't easy, memorization type stuff. They're more "synthesis" questions, designed to see if you really understand the material. Conceptual, etc. For example, they might give you a paragraph to read, or a scenario, and then have you apply some concept you learned to it.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

Ok that makes some sense, thanks that is helps me alot. 
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Maj Ballard

I think you'll find studying for the others easier than this first one, because you'll know the type of questions to expect. At least that was my experience.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Fifinella

^^ Plus, the on-line quiz questions help you see what they're looking for.  But don't just take the quizzes and figure you're good.  Make sure you can answer ALL the SOBs.  (I think they call 'em that for a reason...)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Lol... Im currently enrolled in the USAF Reserve Officer Prep Course.
- I'll call it CAPSOC Lager - identical concept to the -13, but heavier, intended for a OC headed for Maxwell to become a 2nd Lt

Thing is, its longer then the -13, and, if you can believe this: the material is three years OLDER (the return address on the material is Gunter AFS and the questions sheet lists an AF buck Sgt as a point of contact.

In any case Im taking it to get an initiation into the on-base-testing setup
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

Quote from: Fifinella on April 09, 2008, 10:18:22 PM^^ Plus, the on-line quiz questions help you see what they're looking for.  But don't just take the quizzes and figure you're good.

The quizzes were of mixed value in preparing me for the actual tests.  Some of the core areas have a good distribution of quizzes, and good coverage of the SOBs.  Other core areas, not so much, and I relied a lot more on my notes.

The best advice I can give is to make sure you know how you're going to budget your time before you register, because SOS is a LOT of work.  Also, take good notes on the notetaker pages (the SOBs).  Going through my notes a couple times on the evening before the test helped me.

I'm taking 28E on April 23rd.  My last one!

Fifinella

Color me done with SOS!  Woot! Took my last test Friday.  :) :D ;D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

sarflyer

Great job Judy!  Your lucky you didn't have to do it 20 years ago when it took months to complete.

Welcome to the lofty heights! :clap:
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

O-Rex

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 11, 2008, 06:50:31 AM
Lol... Im currently enrolled in the USAF Reserve Officer Prep Course.
- I'll call it CAPSOC Lager - identical concept to the -13, but heavier, intended for a OC headed for Maxwell to become a 2nd Lt

Thing is, its longer then the -13, and, if you can believe this: the material is three years OLDER (the return address on the material is Gunter AFS and the questions sheet lists an AF buck Sgt as a point of contact.

In any case Im taking it to get an initiation into the on-base-testing setup

I also took it as a sort of 'victory-lap' after SOS: yeah, it was a bit meatier than ECI-13, don't know if if can be sued interchageably, guess its a moot point now anyway.

Maj Ballard

Congrats, Captain. :) Welcome to the club.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Fifinella

Quote from: sarflyer on May 05, 2008, 12:55:00 PM
Great job Judy!  Your lucky you didn't have to do it 20 years ago when it took months to complete.
Well, I should have done it years ago, but never quite got around to it.  But, due to my current CAP workload, it did take me months to complete - 14 of them, to be exact.  Now I've got about a year to relax before I'm eligible for ACSC.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

Is there a fee involved in taking a test at base ed?
- I'll be taking the test for the ROPC  next month. I will take a month off then enroll in SOS
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

arajca

There wasn't when I did it. You MUST call the Base Ed office ahead of time to reserve a seat. Plus, it gives them time to research your elligibility and figure out why this Civil Air Patrol person is scheduling a test. I scheduled mine about two weeks out.