Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 19, 2007, 09:50:41 PM
Just got in on Friday.  Looks interesting.  Decided to skip telling them I was a CAP member, and went the military "sister service" registration route.  No waiting on the State Director or fools at Wing HQ. 

Is that going to pose a problem later on down the road?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

^  Should not, I will just fax my certificate to the registrar at NHQ if I pass.  Now if I don't pass.....that could be a problem. 
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on August 19, 2007, 10:10:16 PM
All I did was call the ETO and they verified I was enrolled in SOS. I took them less than an hour to get me set up in their system. Altogether, I spent about ten minutes on the phone over two calls.

Andrew, would you mind explaining step-by-step how to do it for those of us who have not yet?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on August 20, 2007, 02:15:45 AM
Quote from: arajca on August 19, 2007, 10:10:16 PM
All I did was call the ETO and they verified I was enrolled in SOS. I took them less than an hour to get me set up in their system. Altogether, I spent about ten minutes on the phone over two calls.

Andrew, would you mind explaining step-by-step how to do it for those of us who have not yet?
Sure.
Step 1. Locate nearest AFB or AFRes facility (Buckley AFB, in my case)
Step 2. Pull up base phone directory online and look for Education and Training Office.
Step 3. Call during business hours.
Step 4. Answer questions fully and be prepared to give the last six of you SSAN.
Step 5. ETO will call you back after getting you setup in their system and verifying your eligibility and let you know when testing is taking place.
Step 6. Reserve seat - the number of seats at each testing facility is limited and must be reserved.
Step 7. Make sure you know where the testing facility is located - NOW is the time to ask for directions on base. Let's assume you know how to get to the base.
Step 8. Show up at least 15 minutes before testing starts with CAP membership card and  state or federal ID with photo. Wear an appropriate uniform. The military personnel were wearing all types of uniforms from class b-style to bdu's and flightsuits. I recommend one of the service uniforms.

Pylon

Awesome - thank you!  Makes it a lot more clear how to get through it.  When work settles down in the next month or so, I really want to enroll in SOS.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Maj Ballard

28A 90%
28B 79%

Two down, three to go. :) 28C scheduled for 9 October.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Maj Ballard

3 down, 2 to go... Passed 28C today with an 80%. It seemed harder than the previous two.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

O-Rex

Quote from: Capt Ballard on October 15, 2007, 02:56:30 AM
3 down, 2 to go... Passed 28C today with an 80%. It seemed harder than the previous two.

The C exam is the one that covers two sections, right?  If I recall, it is the hardest of the four.  The D exam isn't so bad.

Congrats.

Maj Ballard

Actually there are five exams.

28A = Profession of Arms
28B = Military Studies
28C = International & Joint Studies
28D = Communication Studies
28E = Leadership & Management
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Capt Ballard on October 15, 2007, 02:37:39 PM
Actually there are five exams.

28A = Profession of Arms
28B = Military Studies
28C = International & Joint Studies
28D = Communication Studies
28E = Leadership & Management

So here it is December, how did you make out?

Anyone else enroll/ finish recently?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Tim Medeiros

I just have 10 more SOBs to fill out then I'm going to schedule my test for 28A
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Tubacap

I am thinking about taking this course in the future.  Has anyone taken the exams with a USAFR member?  The nearest AFB is almost 4 hours away and the nearest testing facility 2.5.  However, the Reservist is 15 minutes. 
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

dwb

I enrolled last week.  I'm through Chapter 1 of the first section.  I set myself a goal of six months to complete the course, with milestones in between for each of the five modules.  If I don't set timelines, I know I'll never do it.

Thus far, I'm happy with the material.  The web site leaves a little to be desired (I sometimes get a bunch of database errors trying to load the syllabus).

Maj Ballard

L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

I applied and then when I logged on I decided that I didn't want to take it.  But after looking at my current schedule I have determined that I can easily take the tests (Didn't want to travel to any bases, to far)  But I will be deployed in 2008, So I can easily take the tests on the base.  So, Can anyone tell me what I need to study, what parts in particular. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

RiverAux

Seeing as how our Region Staff College is way farther than I want to drive and takes far long than I'd want to devote to it, my only option if I want to be a Lt. Col. is to take SOS.  However, I'm pretty happy being a Major and wouldn't mind sitting at that rank for a few more years.  I think I need a few more gray hairs before I'd fit in with the other Lt. Cols...

dwb

I don't much care when I make Lt Col, but I want to get my Wilson award.  SOS/RSC is the last thing I need for my Garber.

I'm working on scheduling my first exam (28A).  Thus far, the program has been interesting, I'm glad I enrolled.

Tim Medeiros

I was scheduled to sit down with my local reserve assistance officer on the 18th when I found out Thursday that my exam was destroyed, anyone have any tips on how I can take this thing on base?
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

mikeylikey

Call the base.....ask for the CAP liaison Officer.  Each base is mandated to have one!  Other than that, call the Education Office, explain your situation.  They will most likely open up a computer for you to take it on!

Or Call the State Director and explain the situation, and tell him/ her it would be easier for you to just take it on the base.

GOOD LUCK!!
What's up monkeys?