Anyone else taking SOS right now?

Started by Robert Hartigan, January 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM

spaatzmom

Thank you for your time spent and help.

floridacyclist

Quote from: SarDragon on July 02, 2007, 07:50:54 AMBTW, for Ms. Carlson, I am a senior member, not a SMWOG. I choose not to display my rank, hence the spelled out words, and not just SM.

When they first went to calling us Officers, I thought it was kind of cheesy, but I'm starting to see the difference in connotations, not so much against "Senior Member" but the fact that we want folks to act like officers. As we are working on developing our Squadron OCS course, I'm liking it even more and more as it embodies the kind of professionalism and attitude that we want our people to have. While I don't think it's an automatic switch (call them an officer and they'll act like one), in conjunction with some good instruction and explanation of exactly waht it means to be an officer, it just might get folks somewhere closer to where we need them to be.

"Officer, CAP" would fit just fine in a signature line and avoid any confusion. Not even a suggestion , just a vague and rambling thought.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

SarDragon

Well, the term Officer doesn't cover every non-cadet member. A SMWOG is not, by definition, an officer, but is still a senior member. Also, I think the term Senior Member is one of our traditions that shouldn't be arbitrarily discarded. Adult Member might be more definitive, but might make too close an association with other youth groups.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: caphistorian on July 03, 2007, 02:25:25 PM
Finally finished the last test for the SOS course. This was the largest of the tests. 80 questions. That makes a total of about 250 for the whole thing. I think I would just rather spend a week in NSC than do the ACSC. Not at this point!
How did it compare as far as detail orientation and difficulty to the other tests? (I'm taking it next week)

floridacyclist

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 07:40:27 AM
Well, the term Officer doesn't cover every non-cadet member. A SMWOG is not, by definition, an officer, but is still a senior member. Also, I think the term Senior Member is one of our traditions that shouldn't be arbitrarily discarded. Adult Member might be more definitive, but might make too close an association with other youth groups.
In our squadron, we call our new members Officer Candidates until they are commissioned.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

DeputyDog

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 13, 2007, 08:02:10 PM
In our squadron, we call our new members Officer Candidates until they are commissioned.

When did we start commissioning our officers in CAP?

RiverAux

Quote from: DeputyDog on July 14, 2007, 02:28:04 AM

Give it a break.  You know what he meant.

arajca

Finished. Took last test at Buckley AFB testing center. 85%.

Fifinella

Quote from: DeputyDog on July 14, 2007, 02:28:04 AM

Heard a new one recently...a cadet at NESA asked me how I was "decommissioned" from the AF.  :D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Skyray

QuoteHeard a new one recently...a cadet at NESA asked me how I was "decommissioned" from the AF.

Hopefully with more TLC than I was "dismembered" from CAP.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

AlphaSigOU

Enrolled in SOS... now waiting for access to the online portion.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

It's official - I got my card and diploma in the mail today.

SAR-EMT1

Can someone tell me what the breakdown is these days as far as the paper side of SOS vs the computer side? I can handle a paper based course and can put up with a CD rom version... reason I ask is that
my staging area - the place where my rig is parked when not on a call was switched from a fire house (with great fiber optic internet access) to a school parking lot (with no internet access) - THOUGH I DID READ THE LAST HARRY POTTER BOOK IN ONE 12 HOUR SHIFT -  ;)

My schedule being what it is, this is the first time in two or three weeks Ive been online at all and this situation wont change soon.  - I pin on Captains bars in a month and SOS is liable to be the first thing I do.

Thanks
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Fifinella

SOS is now web-based.  There is no longer a paper-based course.  However, you could download the readings to your computer and do them off-line.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

arajca

When you get your log in, if you have a high-speed connection, download the texts (there are five) and the Samples of Behavior. DO THE SAMPLES OF BEHAVIOR!!! The tests come from the Samples of Behavior.

Make sure follow the new rules regarding testing for SOS. If there is an AF base nearby, contact the Education and Training Office as soon as you are registered - meaning after you get the litle post card telling you so. It takes a little while for the ETO to set you up for testing, but they only have to do it once. Remember, you're probably one of the very few CAP members the ETO folks will see so be sure you're wearing an appropriate uniform and that you are wearing it correctly. When I took my test, most AD personnel were wearing bdu's. A few (officers) were wearing khaki's (Navy) or flight suits (AF). Also, leave your books in the car or at home.

James Shaw

I would have to agree with the sample behaviors suggestion. The last part of this was tougher than the rest to me. I received the card in the mail and the Certificate a few days later. Sent to NHQ and had credit for course in eservices in a week. Great job on Susie Parkers part. Level IV completion showed up a few days later. All I need to complete Level V is National Staff College. ACSC will be much later.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

AlphaSigOU

Finally got in with the AU registrar and am beginning the SOS online course. Downloaded the texts and the LOs/SOBs (no, not THAT SOB... Lesson Objectives/Samples of Behavior). I'm printing a hard copy of the texts so I can follow along or study when offline.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Maj Ballard

Took the 28A test today and got a 90%. One down, four to go. :)
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

Just got in on Friday.  Looks interesting.  Decided to skip telling them I was a CAP member, and went the military "sister service" registration route.  No waiting on the State Director or fools at Wing HQ. 
What's up monkeys?

arajca

All I did was call the ETO and they verified I was enrolled in SOS. I took them less than an hour to get me set up in their system. Altogether, I spent about ten minutes on the phone over two calls.