Advanced Training Flights

Started by Cjthom1728, May 05, 2012, 08:27:42 PM

Cjthom1728

What is an Advanced Training Flight at encampment?
C/2dLt Craig Thomas Jr
SER-GA-157

HGjunkie

Some sort of Line Staff training unit usually. At FLWG encampments, when there are ATS flights, they drill/lead themselves, visit on-base facilities, talk with military leaders, etc...

It's an inbetween for basic and staff encampments.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Bear in mind that is only FLWG.

There is no specific definition (yet) of an advanced flight, so what they are is subjective to the specific activity.

Generally they are for more experienced cadets who have already completed their basic encampment Mitchell requirement, and / or have already attended
that respective encampment and are looking for more / different.  I have seen ATFs that are nothing more than "band camp" for the BTDT crowd, some which are little more than drill clinics grouped with a base tour, and some that legitimately reach to provide actual training for more experienced cadets.

Some are focused on training encampment staff, some are focused on generalized CAP and leadership training.

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

And keep in mind that they're not a nation-wide thing. I.e., not all wings have Encampments with an Advanced Training Squadron or even an Advanced Training Flight. (my wing, MAWG, doesn't)
No longer active on CAP talk

RickFranz

In Kansas we use advance training flights for Cadets that have already had a basic encampment and would like to learn something more or different.  At last year's encampment we added a Emergency Services flight to the Honor Guard flight we have had for awhile now. 
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

MajorM

Minnesota has had a staff development squadron for many years.  It started when there started being more applicants for encampment staff positions than there were staff positions.  It was designed to help those who didn't earn a staff slot hone their skills. 

Struts

Would an advanced training flight still participate in all of the classes that the basics do? Or do they have their own completely different schedule and don't interact at all with the basics besides meals? In my wing our join encampment with Vermont does not feature an advanced training flight, so I have no experience with them at all.

68w20

Quote from: Cashboy on May 07, 2012, 08:52:05 PM
Would an advanced training flight still participate in all of the classes that the basics do? Or do they have their own completely different schedule and don't interact at all with the basics besides meals? In my wing our join encampment with Vermont does not feature an advanced training flight, so I have no experience with them at all.

As with everything else, this varies based on wing.

That being said, pretty much every ATS that I've observed or been involved with (I've been on staff/cadre twice and seen them carried out at several encampments in three different wings) has had a different curriculum than is presented to the basic encampment. 

In my case, both courses have focused heavily on small unit leadership (generally at the flight level), leading drill and ceremonies,  presenting information to superiors, peers, or subordinates (classes, staff meetings, conference calls, etc), and general leadership topics.

For both the OP and Cashboy: Why do you ask?  Are you planning on attending an ATS/similar course?  Are you trying to build a curriculum?

Struts

I was just wondering. I've seen the term around here on CAPTalk and always wondered about it. My wing does not offer one at their encampment and I am going back as staff this year.

MajorM

Typically they have a different curriculum focused on more advanced topics.  Over the years I had worked in "job shadowing" opportunities with the flight staff as well as using/allowing the ATS cadets to staff events like the confidence course and plan events like demobilizing the encampment.

68w20

Quote from: MajorM on May 07, 2012, 11:38:11 PM
Typically they have a different curriculum focused on more advanced topics.  Over the years I had worked in "job shadowing" opportunities with the flight staff as well as using/allowing the ATS cadets to staff events like the confidence course and plan events like demobilizing the encampment.

Not to get off topic, but how did you structure the job shadowing?  We had tried this recently when I was staffing an ATS and weren't too happy with the results.  Still, myself and the other staff think it'd be a useful school for future encampments; if we can figure out an effective way to implement it.

Struts

Back on topic. I I could implement this program in my wing's encampment. But I'm just a lowly staff sergeant about to be tech sergeant. But how does one of these work? Could you provide me with a sample schedule perhaps? One day I will hopefully be able to do something about an advanced training flight.

Eclipse

^ This will need to be a top-down decision from the Commander or Commandant.

Advanced Training schools generally require segregated activities, and implemented poorly can impact the encampment overall, which
has to be the focus.  In some wings, the DCP has curriculum input and approval, and would likely want involvement as well.

Then there's the issue of return on investment for the participants, whether the venue can accommodate the extra numbers, and whether
the wing can provide the additional staff.

We struggled for years to put something meaningful together and this year it was run as a small pilot to some success, but with many of the challenges listed above which will have to be addressed before next year.

These are not small undertakings.

"That Others May Zoom"