positions at encampment

Started by C/MSgt Durant, March 14, 2011, 08:21:46 PM

C/MSgt Durant

what are the staff descriptions for encampment like to be "chief" do you have to be a chief massgt? and what about the flight Sgt and commander? what about chaplains assistant?

DC

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on March 14, 2011, 08:21:46 PM
what are the staff descriptions for encampment like to be "chief" do you have to be a chief massgt? and what about the flight Sgt and commander? what about chaplains assistant?
I would suggest looking at the encampment website or contacting the command staff. The exact duties for those positions, and even the positions themselves vary between encampments.

With that said, Flight Sergeant and Flight Commanders are fairly standardized across CAP. FLWG has a list of duty descriptions for our encampments, which might be of some use to you. http://www.flcadet.com/StaffDutyDescriptions.aspx

I would also consult CAPP 52-15, the Cadet Staff Handbook. That also has some excellent descriptions of common cadet staff positions.

I'm not exactly sure what a 'chief' does at encampment, that's not a duty assignment that I'm aware of. Perhaps you meant First Sergeant or Command Chief/Superintendent/Sergeant Major (depending on wing)? Also don't know about a Chaplain's Assistant, I've never known encampment chaplains to need help from cadets in executing their duties...

Eclipse

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on March 14, 2011, 08:21:46 PM

In most cases this depends on the encampment - the answers will vary, though most will be similar.

For staff positions which exist at the home unit (Flt CC, Flt Sgt, 1st Sgt, etc.), they are generally very similar, just on a larger scale with
a bigger span of control.

For those specific to the activity, you really have to discuss that with the commanders of that activity.

As to grade, the reality is that most encampments set "guidelines", but few have hard-fast rules, because encampment staff jobs are as much a
matter of timing as they are a matter of specific progression.

Most encampments would prefer to have a Chief in the First Shirt job, but smaller wings might, by chance, not have any Chiefs available
who haven't been to their first encampment, or its possible that a high-speed Senior or even a Master applies with better experience.  One thing
I know I don't like it cadets who artificially delay their progression because they want to be the First Shirt at an encampment.  Again, timing is a
big factor, which is why cadets should go early and often to encampments.

Beyond that, it is not unheard of for NCO's to be slotted as FC's when suitable officers are not available, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Durant

really? there was a chief and 2 chaplains assistants one for the boys and one for the girls. I am the first sgt of my squadron but im just a master sgt, but i want to apply for flight sgt, but im scared to mess up haha

Eclipse

Quote from: C/MSgt Durant on March 14, 2011, 08:41:44 PM
really? there was a chief and 2 chaplains assistants one for the boys and one for the girls. I am the first sgt of my squadron but im just a master sgt, but i want to apply for flight sgt, but im scared to mess up

Cadet Chaplain's assistants would be fairly unusual, though not unheard of, obviously. 

As C/MSgt, your experience should be well within the guidelines for most encampments for Flight Sgt.

"That Others May Zoom"

tatumrd

I would say for a chief you should be looking at first sgt or flight Sgt. The positions vary by wing as well as encampment commander. I've been to 4 encampments and they have been a little different every time. You'd have to check around. They may even have a website with a list of positions
C/Lt Col Ryan Tatum

shlebz

Does anyone know how i can apply for cadet staff at Wisconsin Wing Encampment for 2011?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

EMT-83

F31 submitted via chain of command?

shlebz

The website dosent  have anything updated so i don't even know if you can, but i know its scheduled? i was just wondering if anyone knew if it was posted online atall.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

DC

Quote from: shlebz on March 15, 2011, 09:43:40 PM
The website dosent  have anything updated so i don't even know if you can, but i know its scheduled? i was just wondering if anyone knew if it was posted online atall.
It is still a little early for most encampments to be soliciting for cadet staff. Keep checking the WIWG website and talking to your squadron chain of command, I'm sure you will hear about it in due time.

shlebz

C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

mclarke

As of right now, for WI encampment, I would check their facebook page. It is scheduled 30JUL thru 06AUG at Illinois Military Academy in Springfield IL. There is no further information at this time. Under discussion is the possibility of combing the WI and IL encampments into one, however, this is speculation and discussion, not fact. I would check the encampment facebook page, as there should be more information coming this month.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: mclarke on April 07, 2011, 02:27:59 AM
As of right now, for WI encampment, I would check their facebook page. It is scheduled 30JUL thru 06AUG at Illinois Military Academy in Springfield IL. There is no further information at this time. Under discussion is the possibility of combing the WI and IL encampments into one, however, this is speculation and discussion, not fact. I would check the encampment facebook page, as there should be more information coming this month.

Based on the dates and location I hope they combine WI and IL into one encampment, because I'm not convinced the IMA has space for two encampments at the same time! ;D (Those are also the dates and location for ILWG encampment)

mclarke

Yes, I noticed that as well. I found it odd they would schedule 2 different wing encampments at the same place and dates without combining then, however, as politics go, you never know. With the massive budget cuts, I honestly think it would be more efficient to combine encampments where possible. Going a step farther, it would be nice to eliminate wing encampments and do regional encampments instead. I realize for some this is an inconvenience, however, I think from a budget standpoint, this would be more acceptable. I would only suggest, if it is going to be a region encampment, it should be a 3 week instead of 2 weeks.

SarDragon

Quote from: mclarke on April 08, 2011, 11:43:41 PM
Yes, I noticed that as well. I found it odd they would schedule 2 different wing encampments at the same place and dates without combining then, however, as politics go, you never know. With the massive budget cuts, I honestly think it would be more efficient to combine encampments where possible. Going a step farther, it would be nice to eliminate wing encampments and do regional encampments instead. I realize for some this is an inconvenience, however, I think from a budget standpoint, this would be more acceptable. I would only suggest, if it is going to be a region encampment, it should be a 3 week instead of 2 weeks.

Actually, whether or not the encampments are combined or not, the basic per person expense will remain about the same.

Combined, facility costs might decrease, or not, depending on capacities. Food costs should be about the same. Transportation costs for the participants will certainly be higher.

As for a three week event, how many SMs do you know that can take three weeks of vacation all at once fora CAP event? Many folks have trouble getting two weeks at a time, constrained by either employer or family objections.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

More importantly, which encampments are 2 weeks to start with?

NCRblues

3 week encampment? HOLY...COW...

We have problems with young cadets being home sick with a one week encampment, i don't even want to imagine what a 3 week encampment would look like.

And also, what would you do for 3 weeks at an encampment? What facility could support 3 weeks?

Dreaming is nice, heck i have a dream to hold some sort of "national encampment" on lackland one day, but its a dream....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

mclarke

I know, I was just thinking idealy it would be nice. Could use the 3rd week to qualify cadets on ES. Least idealy. It was just a thought. Although it was right in being pointed out that the per person cost would be around the same, although combining might help eliminate the need for 2 different facilities. Would eliminate positions as well. Instead of 2 encampment commanders, you'd have one, just would have more TACs, flight commanders, etc... Oh well. Dreaming is nice sometimes, right?

Quote from: NCRblues on April 09, 2011, 02:54:18 AM
3 week encampment? HOLY...COW...

We have problems with young cadets being home sick with a one week encampment, i don't even want to imagine what a 3 week encampment would look like.

And also, what would you do for 3 weeks at an encampment? What facility could support 3 weeks?

Dreaming is nice, heck i have a dream to hold some sort of "national encampment" on lackland one day, but its a dream....

SarDragon

Quote from: mclarke on April 09, 2011, 03:58:28 AM
Could use the 3rd week to qualify cadets on ES.

While CP and ES have some overlap, most encampment venues I've been to aren't really conducive to ES training. I'd rather see folks go to NESA than try to extend an encampment for another week.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret